U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:01 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,265,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
Always better than this:

Which is what most of the political arguments end up being about on CD, IMO.

Which ever way, I know how things are affecting me and the rest of the country, I don't need to hear it 20 different ways from 400 different people.

Can you imagine that view??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:03 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,565,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Nobody wants to go with me.

maybe some people just don't understand you? You damn yankees can be a bit ummm....rough ya know?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,265,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
maybe some people just don't understand you? You damn yankees can be a bit ummm....rough ya know?

The ten foot pole rule is now put into effect with this post.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 AM

120 posts, read 283,012 times
As silly as this sounds our beloved cat passed away last week at the age of 19 and even though we miss him terribly it has really put things in perspective for us.
I'm five months pregnant with our first and you'd think that we'd be panicked about bringing a baby into this mess but we are beyond thrilled. Thinking about her and how wonderful it is that she is coming always does the trick.
For me cooking/baking is always calming *and* it doesn't hurt that I get to eat it when I'm done too. And as others have said walking our dog is the best way for me to relax, I think of it like a walking meditation.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:08 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,193,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyePA View Post
As silly as this sounds our beloved cat passed away last week at the age of 19 and even though we miss him terribly it has really put things in perspective for us.
I'm five months pregnant with our first and you'd think that we'd be panicked about bringing a baby into this mess but we are beyond thrilled. Thinking about her and how wonderful it is that she is coming always does the trick.
For me cooking/baking is always calming *and* it doesn't hurt that I get to eat it when I'm done too. And as others have said walking our dog is the best way for me to relax, I think of it like a walking meditation.
What a GREAT post I am sooooo sorry about your beloved cat, but how wonderful his passing has given you such perspective.

Congrats on that baby girl!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,934,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyePA View Post
Awwww - how exciting! And this SHOULD be a joyous time - don't let anything take the excitement or joy out of anticipating your baby's arrival!

I look back to when I was born . . . men were coming home after the Korean War and having babies in their early 20s . . . my parents were kids when I was born! I have heard the stories from their friends . . . babies w/ make-shift "cribs" created from a dresser drawer filled with blankets to soften it!!!

I was born only a few days b/f my dad entered college on the GI bill. My parents didn't have two pennies to rub together. The stories of how they made it . . . unreal. They closed ranks w/ other GIs and pooled what little resources there were, worked part time jobs, and carried us kids to class. Yep, I attend L-R as a baby and still remember it. Had one of the same professors my dad had when I actually became a student there, ROFL!!!!

It will feel just as bad as we let it feel. I don't mean to sound Pollyanna-ish. But . . . when we concentrate on the things that we cannot do (b/c of financial restrictions) . . . it makes us feel deprived and hopeless.

So I choose to concentrate on the things I CAN DO . . . like clean out the garage or paint a room. Or bake a cake!!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:21 AM

Scrapbooking. Now, I am not into that but I think I could get into it. At the least, get out pictures and simply put them in an album of some sort.

Or, do that on the computer and burn a disc.

It is a good thing to be reminded of special occasions and happy days while putting a scrapbook or disc together. Share it and then you have managed to spread the joy.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,193,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Scrapbooking. Now, I am not into that but I think I could get into it. At the least, get out pictures and simply put them in an album of some sort.

Or, do that on the computer and burn a disc.

It is a good thing to be reminded of special occasions and happy days while putting a scrapbook or disc together. Share it and then you have managed to spread the joy.
I hear scrap booking is addictive! But hey, whatever relaxes you, right?

Here's a thing I do to relax, and DON'T laugh...I LOVE quilts, especially Amish quilts. There is a site I go to at the end of some days where you can view literally hundreds and hundreds of them. Some of them are one of a kind creations and I just love looking at them

Old 02-23-2009, 10:28 AM

120 posts, read 283,012 times
Thanks Loves and Ani! We waited until a bit later in our lives (I'm 30 he's 38) so we are *hopefully* better prepared than most, errr, financially at least. Somehow I don't think you're ever prepared for the lack of sleep and the amount of new worry.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I hear scrap booking is addictive! But hey, whatever relaxes you, right?

Here's a thing I do to relax, and DON'T laugh...I LOVE quilts, especially Amish quilts. There is a site I go to at the end of some days where you can view literally hundreds and hundreds of them. Some of them are one of a kind creations and I just love looking at them
I don't find that odd at all!!! I love looking at quilts, too. The patterns are amazing . . .

I am very fortunate that my grandmothers made quilts. They would take their clothing as well as my sister's and mine, cut it up and make quilts. My dad's mom had a quilting rack (what are they called?) that hung from the ceiling (old Victorian house - it was attached to the ceiling and then was tucked up and out of the way!!!) . . . and so one grandmother would cut and piece and the other would do the quilting, then together they would hand stitch the binding. These are just patch quilts but I still have two of them. I look at them and remember my PJs . . . and the dress I wore when I was four . . . These are priceless to me, as you can imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or