U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,211,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
Thanks! I was waiting for someone to yell at me about spending money friviously and that I should be saving it under my mattress least the apocalypse be right around the corner...
Personally I'm getting really sick of all these folks walking around like deer stuck in headlights - afraid to move one way of the other!!! This goes for damn employers who won't hire people right now, or who have just put advertized jobs "on hold" to take a "wait and see" attitude. A pox on them all!

We have got to get this country moving and living again, not cowering at home hoarding their pennies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 08:58 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,627,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

We have got to get this country moving and living again, not cowering at home hoarding their pennies!
Loves, I think that's an insult at people who are trying to make ends meet at this difficult time.

No one is "hoarding their pennies" as you say.

The overwhelming majority of threads are examples of how to save more, or make extra money w/a part time job.

Saving and living within someone's means is exactly what this country should've been doing all along, not using their home as an ATM or maxing out on their cc's....

Would you please clarify what you said because I don't believe you really meant that.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,266,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Loves, I think that's an insult at people who are trying to make ends meet at this difficult time.

No one is "hoarding their pennies" as you say.

The overwhelming majority of threads are examples of how to save more, or make extra money w/a part time job.

Saving and living within someone's means is exactly what this country should've been doing all along, not using their home as an ATM or maxing out on their cc's....

Would you please clarify what you said because I don't believe you really meant that.

CJ, I don't think she meant that for those who are struggling, but those who have been scared (possibly even "fear mongered" by certain elected officials) into holding on to every nickel, dime, and penny, especially when they may not have to. Nobody's talking about maxing out their credit cards or using their homes as another bank. If you were able to go out to dinner a year and a half ago, and you can do so now, then do it.

Contrary to popular belief, and I really hate to break this to you, not every single person in this country is suffering.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,093,326 times
Loves, you are all about not having "doom and gloom" and things are better than they seem....

and, yet, you seem to support policies/people that are rampant in bringing about more of the same and don't seem to even entertain the thought there might be some hope in change??

Old 02-24-2009, 09:17 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Loves, you are all about not having "doom and gloom" and things are better than they seem....

and, yet, you seem to support policies/people that are rampant in bringing about more of the same and don't seem to even entertain the thought there might be some hope in change??

Hope in change? For the past few weeks I watched that jackass do nothing but scare the crap out of people in order to get congress to pass his bill. What Obama did was take Bush's axis of evil fear tactics, employed it with the economy as his foundation, used verbiage such as "catastrophe" and "may never fully recover" and was able to cast out a far wider net.

And then kinda throw in the hope and change stuff as an afterthought, making sure that the most resounding words were ones of fear. The same stuff even I had to question George Bush on winds up being the same stuff that Obama uses. Nothing's changed.

My hope and change is that I hope we only have four years of this guy and the change being Bobby Jindal in office come 2012.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post

Contrary to popular belief, and I really hate to break this to you, not every single person in this country is suffering.
Oh really? Wow, by golly thanks for letting me know...

My point was we as a nation need to put away the cc more and make meals home more often. Instead of buying that $50 sweater at the Gap, we need to put away that money for our kids education someday.....

That is not "hoarding pennies". People are still spending, but its sensible to talk about ways to cut spending and earn more money.

It was just in bad taste, imo

Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,663,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Personally I'm getting really sick of all these folks walking around like deer stuck in headlights - afraid to move one way of the other!!! This goes for damn employers who won't hire people right now, or who have just put advertized jobs "on hold" to take a "wait and see" attitude. A pox on them all!

Personally I could not agree more! I am determined to stop letting this get to me and make me feel guilty/scared of every penny I spend. I know where my finances stand and deserve to be able to enjoy things I choose to spend my money on. For a while I had let all the doom and gloom take all the joy out of my life - NO MORE!!!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Hope in change? For the past few weeks I watched that jackass do nothing but scare the crap out of people in order to get congress to pass his bill. What Obama did was take Bush's axis of evil fear tactics, employed it with the economy as his foundation, used verbiage such as "catastrophe" and "may never fully recover" and was able to cast out a far wider net.

And then kinda throw in the hope and change stuff as an afterthought, making sure that the most resounding words were ones of fear. The same stuff even I had to question George Bush on winds up being the same stuff that Obama uses. Nothing's changed.

My hope and change is that I hope we only have four years of this guy and the change being Bobby Jindal in office come 2012.

Nothing has changed. Both parties suck IMO. We were scared by Paulson and his cronies in the fall, now we're getting more of the same w/Obama...

Old 02-25-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Oh really? Wow, by golly thanks for letting me know...

My point was we as a nation need to put away the cc more and make meals home more often. Instead of buying that $50 sweater at the Gap, we need to put away that money for our kids education someday.....

That is not "hoarding pennies". People are still spending, but its sensible to talk about ways to cut spending and earn more money.

It was just in bad taste, imo

Don't you think you're broad stroking this as opposed to taking it on a family by family basis? Don't you think there are couples and families who are in far better shape than others, who have been far more responsible with their money, who can still buy a 50 dollar sweater at the Gap and still easily afford their kids' education?

To some people shopping at the Gap and going to Ruth's Chris is still living well within their means. It might not be within my means or yours, but I don't begrudge those where it still fits within their budget. Now if you're making 25k a year and you're holding a brand new Blackberry and food stamps in the other, that I have a problem with.

I think we can all acknowledge that there were a ton of folks over the last 'x' amount of years who showed massive amounts of irresponsibility. Those are the people you should be targeting, not those who have managed to live their lives inside of a budget. loves was targeting more the people who have been fear mongered into holding on to everything when in reality they can still spend. The less people who take part in one of the lifelines of this country, exchanging goods, the more of a problem we're going to see with businesses, both chain and local, staying afloat.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:03 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,948,330 times
I have stated this fact before and I don't know if anyone was noticing it - or if it just didn't make an impact, but here it goes again (so forgive me if you are tired of hearing it, LOL!)

The upper 20% of income earners in this country consumes over 50% of the goods and services. That means 80% of us consume less than 50% of the goods and services.

Social economists have stated in the past several months that part of the economic slowdown in our communities is b/c that upper 20% has quit spending. They are, indeed, hanging onto their discretionary cash and are not buying the durable goods (clothing, cars, home improvement items) that they typically do. They are not eating out as they always have.

Yet, these people have assets and high salaries and are still in the position to live the same lifestyle they had been living. So . . . what economists are saying is that this group of our society needs to quit holding back and keep the dollars in circulation.

It is not hooey to state that those w/ the ability to continue being consumers should do so. They can afford to go ahead with that home improvement project - and that would put someone to work! They can afford to eat out, and that would keep a restaurant open and employees on the payroll! They can afford to buy a new car, and that would keep car manufacturers as well as dealerships open. And so it goes . . .

We do need to stop with the fear-mongering. Irresponsible people are not the segment of society who have kept the wheels oiled. They have created debt! So we are not talking about people who have been living above their means. We are talking about those who have real wealth and assets and can afford to spread the cash around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or