Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:30 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times

Advertisements

Not quite the same but when I moved down here from MD, I needed to open a new bank account (my old one was local to MD, so no branches here) so I just did it online with BoA - no paperwork was required, just gave them my address and SS #.

I would suggest seeing if your HR dept. has some paperwork they can draft confirming your employment is they do not have an office here (or at leats in NC). The reason for this was only because when we were moving down here, I went round and about with the first mortgage company about my employment - I was going to be living here, but my company's offices were in NYC - and it seemed to confuse them. Granted apartment hunting is likely different, but it can't hurt to have it if someone asks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 08:21 PM

124 posts, read 361,273 times
Hi Julia,
If you go to angie@angiesweb.com her Toll Free number is 866--561-6396 you will find this site very informative. She has been here for many years and knows the areas well around CLT. She is also from Germany and in fact she just got back yesterday from an emergency in her family.I think you will enjoy talking with her. Her name is Angie Adams. Good Luck

Old 03-24-2009, 02:28 AM

10 posts, read 23,311 times
Thanks Coralsand2, I sent her an email!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Gulia 78 View Post
Hello everyone...
The way it looks the company I work for is going to send to Charlotte for work for at least 3 years... There are a couple of small things that need to get clarified still, but it's looking like May/ June for the move...
I will be given temp housing for 30 days - within that time frame I'll have to find my own place, buy a car etc. Have to admit this freaks me out juuuust a lil :-) I have been to CLT a couple of times on business but don't really know the area (am more of a CT girl, worked and lived there before...)... So all of this is pretty overwhelming right now :-) One day at a time, I know, and I am trying not to get too frazzled but I figured I'd start asking for advice now... Any websites you can recommend? Any other info that might be useful? I don't think I wanna live downtown (or uptown or whatever it is called, lol) CLT but maybe like 20, 25 min away... Company's zip code is 28277, so if that was within reach of 20 min as well that would be awesome... Also, what's rent gonna look like? For a 1 or 2 br apartment? Sorry, am totally lost when it comes to stuff like that, when I lived in CT the company I worked for took care of all that...
Anyway, I could probably ramble on forever, but I won't :-)
Any input or feedback would be greatly appreciated...
Julia
Hi Julia,

I just noticed you are moving from Germany to Charlotte this summer. We are also in June. My husband works for SGL Carbon. We are living outside of Munich right now near Dachau and have been here for 4 years. We are looking into some of the surrounding areas of Charlotte as we have 3 schools to consider. Ironic to see your post today as I am posting questions as well. We used to live in Hickory before coming here, but schools/traffic has changed so much in the last 5 years in Charlotte. Take care.

~patty montminy

Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 AM

109 posts, read 345,716 times
Julia -

We moved from the US to Belgium in 2005 (now we're back), but I had some of the same questions. Our company assigned a relocation company to help smooth the transition. We used Sirva (SIRVA | relocation redefined® - Providing Relocation and Moving Solutions to Consumers, Corporations, and Governments). Even if you cannot hire them, they might have some helpful information on their website.

Also, the Expat Forum has some good information (America Expat Forum for Expats Living in America - Expat Forum For Expats, For Moving Overseas And For Jobs Abroad).

As far as bank accounts, I looked to see what banks had branches both here in the US and in Brussels. I found that Citibank did, so I opened an account with them prior to moving, and that made opening a Belgian Citibank account easier. I am not familiar with the German banks, but you could look to see if there is a similar situation. I know ING seemed to be in both places as well.

Good luck to you in your move. I hope you have a smooth, pleasant experience and get settled in quickly!

Michelle

Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 PM

24 posts, read 72,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Gulia 78 View Post
Hello everyone...
The way it looks the company I work for is going to send to Charlotte for work for at least 3 years... There are a couple of small things that need to get clarified still, but it's looking like May/ June for the move...

Julia
Julia,
I actually have been in the same boat a year ago. I moved from Germany to the States in April and moved down to Charlotte in July. Regarding the big German community - I agree. What happened, I found a job with a big German company. You will like Charlotte. It''s a nice city.

Anyways, I have a German friend who is moving back to Germany earlier than expected. She lives downtown and has to break her lease. I think she wants to leave around June/July and her contract (furnished) goes until Sep. Maybe that would be sth for you as long as you are searching for the area you want to live in.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:56 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times
Welcome to Charlotte soon. I think the big question is what type of citizenship or work visa will you be on? I may have missed it, but that will determine what all you need.

I would get a hotel for the first week, plenty around Ballyntine to check out the area, then get the 30 day temp place, furnished, while you look for apts. Most other things can wait for a bit. I like rooms to go for new furniture and check garage sales/craigs list for tables, chairs, etc. I never buy used sofas, rugs, etc.

Cars - pretty easy and tons of options. But check what type of permit you need to drive here once you buy.

Wedding Singer is awesome.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:19 AM

10 posts, read 23,311 times
hello!
thanks again for you guys' feedback.
whytewulf - L1 visa... i am not giving up my german citizenship :-) i have a CT license from a previous assignment plus my german license so i don't think getting a NC license will be that difficult (even though i did hear that i will need to take a test? oh well...). i will try to get temp housing before i come over and then look at places to rent in those 30 days...
thanks again for your help!
Julia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte