U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-20-2007, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,352 times
Default neighborhood parking on street

Hi. I am a resident of a neighborhood with an HOA that says I cannot have a vehicle parked on the street in front of my home over an extended period of time. Since our neighborhood is in the city limits and thus the street is city owned/maintained, can my HOA enforce this covenant and threaten me with a letter of violation/citation? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 08:49 AM

56 posts, read 4,039 times
Yes, but many do not enforce these issues unless there are compliants. If you are on main street some may complain but if you are on a side street thenit is probably not a problem I see it all over Charlotte in neighborhoods of all scales.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:55 AM

992 posts, read 1,212,345 times
Our subdivision was built specifically so that people could NOT park on the street, however people still do it. They get around it by having their cars straddle the grassy area between the sideway and the street. I think it's much less attractive than just having a wider street where cars can park! My HOA also states that cars cannot be parked "on the street" for longer than four hours. But again, no one follows that rule and as far as I know no one gets burned for it.

Shouldn't be a problem.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:04 AM

3,190 posts, read 5,840,151 times
This is why driveways/garages were invented.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:57 AM

3,066 posts, read 6,986,722 times
Would this include guests though? I think that is where the issue comes in.

I have wondered how one would have even a dinner party with several people if the street is so narrow anyway.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post

Old 03-20-2007, 12:32 PM

527 posts, read 1,205,858 times
There's an excellent forum, hoatalk.com that addresses a lot of hoa issues. You have to sign up but it's free. I love reading it so I can better understand the limitations and my rights in regard to our hoa.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:04 PM

476 posts, read 1,120,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I don't think anyone here isn't familiar with driveways$#*@???, but most of us being transplants will more than likely have out of town visitors, etc. when additional parking is necessary.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:02 PM

992 posts, read 1,212,345 times
We use our driveway. Our goal is to use the garage by the summer (right now it's still filled with boxes). Once we're in the garage we'll have four spaces in our driveway for cars. So we will RARELY need street parking unless it's our big Xmas party, to which we usually get 20-30 people.

Most of our neighbors do NOT use their garages (except as storage), and park in their driveway. And most of our immediate neighbors have teenaged children, so they have 3-4 cars in their driveway at all times. So when THEIR friends come over, our street can become cluttered with cars.

We're thinking of expanding out our driveway on each side so that we can park three cars wide, for a total of six cars. We have the room, and it's easy enough to do (we don't think the HOA will have a problem with it since we've seen other expanded driveways in our neighborhood). This way when our kids are driving and have friends over, we won't be the ones blocking up the street with cars.

But for now we don't have to worry about it, since our kids are still many years away from even TOUCHING the steering wheel of a car.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:31 PM

149 posts, read 268,464 times
Our HOA states that no cars are allowed in the driveways for more than 24 hours! HOA's are new to us, I found this extreme, but I dont know if it's normal or not.

As far as enforcement, it's a pretty new neighborhood, alot of people still have boxes in the garages, so they are parked in their driveways. Nothings been said, yet.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:49 PM

1,440 posts, read 3,502,747 times
If you live in the city and park on the street on a regular basis you might be violating a City Ordinance. The reason is that if you park on the street and your neighbor across from you parks on the street it can be a safety hazard if a Fire Truck or emergency vehicle needs to get through to another residence. If you're planning a Dinner Party the best thing to do is just tell your neighbors about your plans and that you'll need additional parking for the evening. Most people would be glad you told them and not complain about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte