Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:07 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
With all due respect, do you really think its just because of "all the people" moving here??
You cant tell me you need a grocrey store every five miles with a strip mall and more shops and chain restaurants and offices than you know what to do with?Its called money and greed. The towns want the revenue so they join the bandwagon and take whats left of the open land with such tunnel vision and poof, its gone.
Ok everyone knows i myself am a transplant.But for all the wrong that goes on in California, they got something right, its called land preservation.Especially along the coastal areas.I lived in a town with around 25,000 people. "1" grocrey store thats all in a strip mall.Yeah, another choice of store whould have been nice but as i was passing through the other neighboring towns, i'd hit up a grocrey store i liked better. Most surrounding towns there have 1-2 grocrey stores for 25 thousand people,not one every five friggen miles.
I live at the edge of Mooresville which will be very close to the newest Food Lion that is currently being built.BUT i drive 7 or 8 miles to the newest Harris Teeter in Davidson.Why do city planners think everybody needs so much right at their fingertips?? Beautiful farm land,gone for a Food lion/ strip mall??
On Presbyterian Road a big chunk of land was just grazed down for the new elementry school.Flattened like a pancake, no designing the school to incorporate the tree's whatsoever.Now the talk is all of this farmland surrounding where i live is going bye, bye.Developers are comming in to clog up RT#3.it's anticiapted Mooresville needs the growth for spillover form whats going on in Kannapolis. Please, theres more land that way to develop than Mooresville needing to try to get in on the hopes of millions of people working at the NC Research Campus to live in Mooresville.
This area is loosing its charm of land and tree's to greed.You can blame the owners selling off their farmland for big$$$$. I have one in back of me right now trying to cash in, he has 64 acres to make his cool million. Just what i want in my backyard,another glutton of homes to be built because god forbid,there are 500 "used" homes that need be sold and city planners are not concerned about that!
Ok rant over
I agree with you. The entire Lake Norman area has been or is in the process of being bull dozed and paved over. The growth is phenomenal and I know will not let up anytime soon. I hate seeing all the farms and such disappearing. Read through my posts over the past two years and you see how I feel about all this unchecked growth.

With that being said, this project is well planned and is not another strip mall, I think it looks like quite a cool thing. For once, road improvements are being built right into this plan. Green space is being included, trails, etc...

As we head into a recessesion or "economic downturn", while much of the country is seeing no or little growth, job, or economic opportunities, we are seeing probably one of the most major investments being made right in our own area. This will provide significant revenue for the city and will hopefully bypass the city having to pass inevitable higher taxes on to it residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 10:19 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
I support it. Looks like a great development.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:34 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
I am extremely pleased. I just hope that they get rail service up north to Cornelius. Also, I hope the city puts in more sidewalks to make it walkable across I-77 to this project and "Old Cornelius". I would also like to see sidewalks all the way up and down Cawtaba. Last time I was visiting, my friend and I went barhopping and had to walk home on Cawtaba. I had to walk through mud or get run over. I know that that was a hard choice, but sidewalks would have been lovely. I could have staggered in front of anything.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:49 PM

620 posts, read 2,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
With all due respect, do you really think its just because of "all the people" moving here??
You cant tell me you need a grocrey store every five miles with a strip mall and more shops and chain restaurants and offices than you know what to do with?Its called money and greed. The towns want the revenue so they join the bandwagon and take whats left of the open land with such tunnel vision and poof, its gone.
Ok everyone knows i myself am a transplant.But for all the wrong that goes on in California, they got something right, its called land preservation.Especially along the coastal areas.I lived in a town with around 25,000 people. "1" grocrey store thats all in a strip mall.Yeah, another choice of store whould have been nice but as i was passing through the other neighboring towns, i'd hit up a grocrey store i liked better. Most surrounding towns there have 1-2 grocrey stores for 25 thousand people,not one every five friggen miles.
I live at the edge of Mooresville which will be very close to the newest Food Lion that is currently being built.BUT i drive 7 or 8 miles to the newest Harris Teeter in Davidson.Why do city planners think everybody needs so much right at their fingertips?? Beautiful farm land,gone for a Food lion/ strip mall??
On Presbyterian Road a big chunk of land was just grazed down for the new elementry school.Flattened like a pancake, no designing the school to incorporate the tree's whatsoever.Now the talk is all of this farmland surrounding where i live is going bye, bye.Developers are comming in to clog up RT#3.it's anticiapted Mooresville needs the growth for spillover form whats going on in Kannapolis. Please, theres more land that way to develop than Mooresville needing to try to get in on the hopes of millions of people working at the NC Research Campus to live in Mooresville.
This area is loosing its charm of land and tree's to greed.You can blame the owners selling off their farmland for big$$$$. I have one in back of me right now trying to cash in, he has 64 acres to make his cool million. Just what i want in my backyard,another glutton of homes to be built because god forbid,there are 500 "used" homes that need be sold and city planners are not concerned about that!
Ok rant over
First of all, this is prime land along the interstate. It isn't going to be preserved, it is going to get developed no matter what. A lot of the development in the lake area is around the interstate and towards the lake. If you go the other way it is still very rural and a lot of towns plan on keeping it that way. If this was off of 73 going towards Concord, or Huntersville-Concord Rd, or Rocky River Rd or whatever those other roads are out there, I would be against it. Like I said, this is land right off the interstate we are talking about, in Mecklenburg County, in a town that is very close to the city of Charlotte. I think it is a great project (better than car dealerships or another boring strip mall which you seem to despise) and the location makes sense. It isn't a beautiful piece of land to begin with anyways.

Second, you are a transplant, so I am questioning if you did your research before you moved here. Did you know the Charlotte metro is one of the top ten fastest growing in the country? Development is a part of the everyday life here. There are plenty of places in NC that will always remain rural if that is what you like. Sorry if I am being blunt about it, but it just doesn't make any sense to me that people move here thinking this is "mayberry" and complain when the land around them gets developed. Whether you like it or not, you should expect that to happen when you live in one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country.

Don't get me wrong, I think we still need to preserve land (where it makes sense to). Any property along the interstate is too valuable and since the access and infrastructure is usually better around interstates, it makes sense to develop those areas.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
First of all, this is prime land along the interstate. It isn't going to be preserved, it is going to get developed no matter what. A lot of the development in the lake area is around the interstate and towards the lake. If you go the other way it is still very rural and a lot of towns plan on keeping it that way. If this was off of 73 going towards Concord, or Huntersville-Concord Rd, or Rocky River Rd or whatever those other roads are out there, I would be against it. Like I said, this is land right off the interstate we are talking about, in Mecklenburg County, in a town that is very close to the city of Charlotte. I think it is a great project (better than car dealerships or another boring strip mall which you seem to despise) and the location makes sense. It isn't a beautiful piece of land to begin with anyways.

Second, you are a transplant, so I am questioning if you did your research before you moved here. Did you know the Charlotte metro is one of the top ten fastest growing in the country? Development is a part of the everyday life here. There are plenty of places in NC that will always remain rural if that is what you like. Sorry if I am being blunt about it, but it just doesn't make any sense to me that people move here thinking this is "mayberry" and complain when the land around them gets developed. Whether you like it or not, you should expect that to happen when you live in one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country.

Don't get me wrong, I think we still need to preserve land (where it makes sense to). Any property along the interstate is too valuable and since the access and infrastructure is usually better around interstates, it makes sense to develop those areas.
Mike, this was a very well thought through post. You make a lot of good points, especially with mentioning how fast this area is growing. Well done.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:32 PM

307 posts, read 715,208 times
Default Not sure if this is true or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I am extremely pleased. I just hope that they get rail service up north to Cornelius. Also, I hope the city puts in more sidewalks to make it walkable across I-77 to this project and "Old Cornelius". I would also like to see sidewalks all the way up and down Cawtaba. Last time I was visiting, my friend and I went barhopping and had to walk home on Cawtaba. I had to walk through mud or get run over. I know that that was a hard choice, but sidewalks would have been lovely. I could have staggered in front of anything.
But I spoke to someone the other day who said there are plans to widen Cawtaba and put in sidewalks! Like I said I am not sure if it is true my source was a real estate agent I met out at a bar. I agree though I walk everywhere if I can.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:41 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post

Kudos mike and rep from me...very well stated indeed!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:47 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLK706 View Post
But I spoke to someone the other day who said there are plans to widen Cawtaba and put in sidewalks! Like I said I am not sure if it is true my source was a real estate agent I met out at a bar. I agree though I walk everywhere if I can.
Yes, this is true, and I actually think construction has started. They have the black erosion/washoff walls set up from the interstate on down Catawba. But anyway, the whole sidewalk thing is a major issue, especially since that guy was killed last year by a drunk driver who hit him on the road shoulder.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:47 PM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
IN light of the glowing success of the first light rail segment and the exploding growth along Lake Norman, I think the region should consider light rail instead of commuter rail for the North Line.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:01 PM

876 posts, read 3,792,173 times
im so happy I pee'd my pants! twice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte