Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New York resident moving to Waxhaw area; advice on moving without job, employment market in Waxhaw and surrounding areas, experiences moving without job

Old 06-24-2006, 03:01 PM

31 posts, read 120,885 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in NY, and I plan to relocate to the Waxhaw area. I would really appreciate some feedback on my question. My question is.....do you, or has anyone that you know moved to NC without employment, and if so how hard was it to find a job once they got there. I really have my heart set on Waxhaw, but I am hearing from people that many prospective employers might be turned off because I live out of state, and that it would be much easier to find a job if I was there instead of making calls from NY. I believe that you should follow what your heart tells you to do, and my heart is telling me to just bite the bullet and go, it's just a little scary, without employment. If anyone has gone through this, or know somebody that has, please give me your story, or just your advice. I really, really appreciate it. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2006, 04:11 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,153 times
Since I posted about this same issue, I have learned that the type of job, the supply and demand for it down there can heavily determine this answer...I am also told the higher up the ladder you go, the more this is prevalent as many executive jobs are not posted and regardless of where you are, a recruiter is needed. DOes anyone ever see an ad for a CEO? How many times do these jobs get filled by people "out of town"

Old 06-24-2006, 05:26 PM

132 posts, read 403,830 times
I have found that to be true. A lot of entry level type work is advertised, but I think that is pretty much the norm most places. We are going without jobs and if you really are trying I can't imagine it taking more than a few months to get a job. What we are running into trying to get employment from up north is that they don't want to hire out of state people. Which makes sense I mean they are taking a risk just like all of us are by moving.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:50 PM

170 posts, read 566,354 times
We, too, are doing the same thing. We have the house for sale now, and will move, then my husband will find a job. But I think it depends on the line of work you're after. He is a union carpenter, and they have a hall north of Charlotte, which he's checked on. So for us, I think it will work out ok. I think if your heart is set on it, it can work, there's a lot of us doing it! And I always say, "it always works out somehow".

Old 06-24-2006, 08:02 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpassaro
I'm currently in NY, and I plan to relocate to the Waxhaw area. I would really appreciate some feedback on my question. My question is.....do you, or has anyone that you know moved to NC without employment, and if so how hard was it to find a job once they got there. I really have my heart set on Waxhaw, but I am hearing from people that many prospective employers might be turned off because I live out of state, and that it would be much easier to find a job if I was there instead of making calls from NY. I believe that you should follow what your heart tells you to do, and my heart is telling me to just bite the bullet and go, it's just a little scary, without employment. If anyone has gone through this, or know somebody that has, please give me your story, or just your advice. I really, really appreciate it. Thanks!!!
We're moving from Long Island to the Charlotte area some time end of summer. My husband found a job but it wasn't easy in the beginning and I think it's because of the fact that we had a NY address. A friend of ours that lives in Cary allowed us to use his address and once my husband changed it on his resume, he was getting a lot more calls. He justified the address by saying that it was his brother-in-laws and that we were already in the process of moving. I don't think companies hesitate because of the possibility that applicants may change their minds and stay where they are. I think it's mainly because they don't want to pay for the relocation costs associated to moving. And the majority of companies down there do use recruiters only. (broken link) seems to be one of the large recruiting companies that recruit jobs in NC. You can try that. I think the demand of jobs is dependent upon the type of work you do. In Raleigh, it seems that IT and pharamaceuticals are the major industries while Charlotte is banking, and I think Greensboro is textiles (but I could be wrong about that). Good luck with your decision to move.

Last edited by Yac; 06-25-2006 at 05:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte