U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-20-2007, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 24,680 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a relocation to Charlotte and will probably end up just south of the city (possibly even in northern SC) depending on housing, etc.

My question is what can one expect regarding child care costs? I have twin 11 month olds, and will more than likely be putting them either in full time daycare or an in-house nanny if I can find a good one. Advice on either scenario regarding expected monthly cost per child is greatly appreciated!

Also, what are the good suburban/semi-rural areas south of Charlotte that would be good to raise a family in (good schools, other families, etc)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 20,793 times
I was wondering the same thing too.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:29 PM

17 posts, read 82,080 times
I would consider Ballantyne: it's a very family oriented area where the quality of education is valued very much. Childcare in my opinion is a nightmare. I actually was a director at a very well regarded center and I just think it is less than ideal. With twins it is safe to say you may never get into any of the centers, but I would consider a nanny and try enrolling in a traditional preschool when the time comes. If by some chance you did get a spot, the cost for full time is 500 or more a week for 2. All the centers are star rated and I wouldn't consider anything less than 5 and a very low ratio.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:52 PM

672 posts, read 1,221,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmharper View Post
My husband and I are considering a relocation to Charlotte and will probably end up just south of the city (possibly even in northern SC) depending on housing, etc.

My question is what can one expect regarding child care costs? I have twin 11 month olds, and will more than likely be putting them either in full time daycare or an in-house nanny if I can find a good one. Advice on either scenario regarding expected monthly cost per child is greatly appreciated!

Also, what are the good suburban/semi-rural areas south of Charlotte that would be good to raise a family in (good schools, other families, etc)?

Thanks!
I think that Fort Mill SC is a wonderful, safe place to raise a family. Please look into the daycare costs there as I think they are a bit lower then in Charlotte.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:56 PM

776 posts, read 2,185,831 times
I live in ballantyne and it is $1100 a month for one child. Not sure how much two would cost. The waiting lists are crazy in this area. We waited a year and 1/2 to get into his preschool/daycare. I would think your best bet would to go the nanny route.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:39 PM

45,095 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
I live in ballantyne and it is $1100 a month for one child. Not sure how much two would cost. The waiting lists are crazy in this area. We waited a year and 1/2 to get into his preschool/daycare. I would think your best bet would to go the nanny route.
Pretty sure a nanny in the Charlotte area would cost at least $400. a week - $1600. a month or so, though I do know others that make far more than that.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:23 AM

673 posts, read 1,839,981 times
Prices quoted thus far are pretty accurate. Is there anyone else out there besides me who thinks the cost of childcare is outrageous here?

Old 04-27-2008, 07:20 AM

2,127 posts, read 4,275,993 times
I agree. I know people that pay around $300.00 per week for infants in the Ballantyne area. In my mind it's really unbelieveable. I'd be interested to see how much it actually costs to run one of these places.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 PM

17 posts, read 82,080 times
The sad part is teachers who work in childcare make NOTHING and are less educated and quite frankly more often then not lacking in many ways. The quality of the care out there concerns me far more than the cost.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:02 PM

32 posts, read 71,689 times
Hmm makes me wonder if it is so difficult to open up a ' home daycare ' or ? I am kinda shocked to see how exspensive this is. We used to pay only $ 125/wk = $ 500/month for a sitter who came to our home to take care of our 2 yr old. WHY is this so exspensive in this area? Does one need to pay so much TAX that one needs to ask for so much money? $ 1600/month per child WOW maybe I should open up a daycare what is the # one can have in total at home? 6 6 X 1600 = 9600/month WOW that is not bad....plus all the extra's one can get because of having a day care....... gee anyone have a solid answer? Just wondering. As the air polution problem I saw in an other topic, do kids get to play outside or are they kept inside and put in front of a Electronic baby-sitter (TV-DVD).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte