Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:25 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Me too , stock up this morning as well with alot of stuff I should not be eating
LOL, yes somehow the "Whoppers" Easter eggs made it home with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 11:31 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
On the weather map that I'm looking at, it looks like we'll be getting ice.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I don't think we could have gotten out even this morning! Our dirt road looks more like a river! The entire pasture looks similar to a lake. The horses will not come out of the barn and the geese are enjoying the full pond! Meantime it keeps raining and is not even letting up one bit plus it's suppose to start snowing shortly too so I guess whatever I have here in the house will have to be enough to get us through! Now if we can just keep our electricity up and going I'll be a happy camper! I sure don't feel like dragging out the generator again!
It's been a pretty good steady rain. The one time it let up I got all ready to take the dog out and it started pouring again! I took him out and he did nothing but get wet! Stinker, being a lab he doesn't mind getting wet at all and loves playing in the snow.

I had DH light the pilot on the gas fireplace just in case we lost electricity.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post

Old 03-01-2009, 11:43 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
I wondered why HT seemed so busy yesterday when I went...lol, I was joining the panicking natives who all had to go buy bread and milk...NWS warning is calling for 3-6" of snow, mixed w/ sleet and freezing rain at times this afternoon...I know I was awakened at 4:30 AM this morning b/c of a T-storm that had some vivid lightning which my dog is afraid of. The rain has finally let up some, but wind is still strong and temps continue to drop...34 degrees according my thermometer.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
That's what I am watching, too. Have the veggie soup on and will fix a turkey breast later so we will stuff to eat if the power goes off. Looking at the forecast, if we keep temps in the teens at nite and we have had sleet . . .not good. Also, even if it is snow of more than 4 or so inches, when it warms during the day and melts some, then drops at nite, we will have GLASS outside. Now, I am not worried about the roads . . . we can all figure out for ourselves how bad it is and if we want to get out on the roads. But it is ice accumulation on trees and wires that worries me.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,952 times
Default Garden question

I have a weeping cherry tree covered in buds, and also all of my tulips are coming up....if it is going to be in the teens the next few days do I need to cover them up so they won't freeze to death?

I've already been annoyed with all my Japonica buds just freezing and dying, I would hate for that to happen to these too.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2009, 12:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
The weeping cherry you will have to let it be unless iti ssmall enough to throw a sheet over them, but you run a risk of knocking off the buds after this is over so it a catch 22 situation.
Cover your tulips and do not cover with plastic it must be cloth

Old 03-01-2009, 12:21 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeMan View Post
I have a weeping cherry tree covered in buds, and also all of my tulips are coming up....if it is going to be in the teens the next few days do I need to cover them up so they won't freeze to death?

I've already been annoyed with all my Japonica buds just freezing and dying, I would hate for that to happen to these too.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
no point. If it gets like they say, the blooms will be frozen for the year,

Old 03-01-2009, 12:23 PM

451 posts, read 1,564,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
AHHHHHHH

Batten down the hatches. Stock up on milk, water and batteries. Take off Monday (because you know they're going to cancel school).

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

See, a Yankee can learn the ways of the Southerners
You forgot bread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte