U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2007, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Reputation: 39851

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn1211 View Post
Thanks for the information. Does anyone know anything about any of the other counties?
Sorry Jenn, meant to get to your question...There are some really good schools in Charlotte Mecklenburg, but there are also some inner city struggling ones too. As an inexperienced or new teacher you might do better starting your career in a smaller school system however. Cabarrus County school system is much smaller and has good schools for the most part. That area is also more affordable to buy or rent in but is still convenient to Charlotte. Union County needs teachers, as several new schools will be opening in the fall, so check there too. Their schools are all well rated for the most part too. Living there may be more expensive than Cabarrus County however. I am sure you will find a job in one of these 3 systems in no time at all. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2007, 08:41 PM
 
Location: long island, ny
146 posts, read 587,132 times
Reputation: 131
Default schools

This is for lovesMountains
Some faith-school connections are already yielding fruit
Here's a glimpse of a few faith efforts already under way:

Belief in responsibility

As a parent at West Charlotte High, Teresa Smith hears grumbling about dysfunctional families and disengaged students who drag down the school.As an associate minister at Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church, she says black congregations must help families struggling to survive.
Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2007, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Reputation: 39851
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundydad View Post
most well prepared kids are not out at 10 pm commiting crimes. the school is not to blame but parents of future students MAY like to know this info.
Name me one city with a population over 600,000 that has absolutely no teenage crime. You can't. In cities with populations this large or larger there will always be "inner city" poorer areas, or a higher percentage of kids suffering many types of social ills. That these situations exist is NOT a school systems fault. Charlotte Mecklenburg is doing its best to meet the challenges of kids who come from some very difficult backgrounds - something ALL large school systems face. Most people considering moving to such a large city are well aware they are not moving to Mayberry, RFD. Your feeble, lame attempt to "warn" them about what kinds of kids may be in some of our schools is really a thinly disguised attempt to discredit a school system that does not deserve such treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2007, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Reputation: 39851
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundydad View Post
This is for lovesMountains
Some faith-school connections are already yielding fruit
Here's a glimpse of a few faith efforts already under way:

Belief in responsibility

Again, what IS your point? This only shows what a wonderful community of people we really do live in that some of the more fortunate are willing to do what they can to help those who are less fortunate. Makes me proud of Charlotte.

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2007, 09:04 PM
 
Location: long island, ny
146 posts, read 587,132 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, what IS your point? This only shows what a wonderful community of people we really do live in that some of the more fortunate are willing to do what they can to help those who are less fortunate. Makes me proud of Charlotte.
Are you drinking black coffee at this time of night? I posted that story to show the good that is being done and you are trying to turn it into something else. Regarding the negative. New teachers and parents of new students should be aware of what they are walking into. Violence against teachers is a fact of life. New teachers and students should know the environment they are going to teach or learn in. Some new teachers may fear speaking up to their bosses in fear of losing their job or getting a negative review. People invest their life savings in their new homes so I would think they would want to know the good as well as the bad. Keep being proud of Charlotte but at the same time keep your head out of the sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2007, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Reputation: 39851
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundydad View Post
Are you drinking black coffee at this time of night? I posted that story to show the good that is being done and you are trying to turn it into something else. Regarding the negative. New teachers and parents of new students should be aware of what they are walking into. Violence against teachers is a fact of life. New teachers and students should know the environment they are going to teach or learn in. Some new teachers may fear speaking up to their bosses in fear of losing their job or getting a negative review. People invest their life savings in their new homes so I would think they would want to know the good as well as the bad. Keep being proud of Charlotte but at the same time keep your head out of the sand.
Well, I asked you what the point of that post was because I really didn't get what you were trying to say by posting it. Glad to know you were looking for the positives yourself. I strongly agree that all folks preparing to sink a large part of themselves into a new mortgage should do their due diligence before signing on the dotted line. But again, do you really think there are people naive enough as to expect a school system as large as Char/Meck to be 100% safe and problem free? Attempts to discredit a whole school system for the social challenges it faces in SOME of its schools (not even a majority of them) just makes no sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2007, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Trinity Florida
7,929 posts, read 17,764,832 times
Reputation: 1992
Bundy are u saying you are maybe regretting your move? im a bit confused..Sorry its been a long and emotional day here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2007, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Trinity Florida
7,929 posts, read 17,764,832 times
Reputation: 1992
Hey Loves my friend....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2007, 09:17 PM
 
Location: long island, ny
146 posts, read 587,132 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, I asked you what the point of that post was because I really didn't get what you were trying to say by posting it. Glad to know you were looking for the positives yourself. I strongly agree that all folks preparing to sink a large part of themselves into a new mortgage should do their due diligence before signing on the dotted line. But again, do you really think there are people naive enough as to expect a school system as large as Char/Meck to be 100% safe and problem free? Attempts to discredit a whole school system for the social challenges it faces in SOME of its schools (not even a majority of them) just makes no sense to me.
In one of my post I wrote that the schools are not to be blamed for the criminal actions of its students. I guess you read over that one. No problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2007, 09:19 PM
 
Location: long island, ny
146 posts, read 587,132 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
Bundy are u saying you are maybe regretting your move? im a bit confused..Sorry its been a long and emotional day here
No, I stood clear of Mecklenberg county, taxes are too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top