U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 01:55 PM

624 posts, read 1,892,142 times

Advertisements

The house they have listed in Heritage Green on Celestine was a house I was initially interested in and did three visits over the 2/21 weekend.

It was initially listed at 199K and was told they had wiggle room, I was hinted at around 195K.

Now two weeks later it's showing as 209,842. Is that cause the 8K rebate to first time home buyers? I guess I don't understand how in this market a house jumps 14,842 dollars in ten days in a neighborhood that has 20-30 houses for sell and multiple properties available to rent.

Plus, using the search engine on CD I saw two threads about the HOA or lack there of. Is this a highly desirable area, or good schools, or simply the builder trying to cover losses via the stimulus bill? Any thoughts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 06:55 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,554,668 times
That home is builder inventory. Have your realtor run comps for the neighborhood. Have your realtor submit comps with your offer and negotiate on your behalf. Right now there are more than 30 homes on the market there, and just one is under contract. My guess is you will be able to get the house for what you are willing to pay.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:00 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,671,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
The house they have listed in Heritage Green on Celestine was a house I was initially interested in and did three visits over the 2/21 weekend.

It was initially listed at 199K and was told they had wiggle room, I was hinted at around 195K.

Now two weeks later it's showing as 209,842. Is that cause the 8K rebate to first time home buyers? I guess I don't understand how in this market a house jumps 14,842 dollars in ten days in a neighborhood that has 20-30 houses for sell and multiple properties available to rent.

Plus, using the search engine on CD I saw two threads about the HOA or lack there of. Is this a highly desirable area, or good schools, or simply the builder trying to cover losses via the stimulus bill? Any thoughts.

What type of negotiating skills are you using when you say you "hinted" at 195K??

If you want the the house, make them a super aggressive take it or leave it offer. Do you really think they are going to walk away in this market?

Also, do not back down or get emotional. They do not care about you, they just care about the sale.

Be firm, be in control and make the offer.

The object is to buy the home for the least amount of money possible.

Why would you want to pay them an extra 5-10K if you don't have to??

Old 03-02-2009, 07:04 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,681,902 times
Agreed. I have insider information from an employee that they will entertain all offers. Basically, there is a home on Glenashley Dr. (Claiborne model) that was listed for around $255k last year, and down to I think $195-200k now. Even at that, my guy told me they'd probably take ~$190k. It has all the upgrades I believe and may be worth a look. It's across from the greenway on Glenashley.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:17 PM

Actually had an offer in for 199K, it was turned down. They came back saying they wanted 205K.

They said they recently added granite countertops and crown molding which they said is why the price went to 209. I just read in the Observer that ppl were trying to get less frills and extras and were settling for some of the more basics instead of upgrades.

I decided to walk, the agent on site told me 195K 8 days ago, then the upgrades came in and I offered 199K and it was still rejected. There's enough other stuff on the market. I just couldn't understand why/how it happened and as a first time buyer putting in my first offer in what so many ppl describe as a "buyers" market how the builder could turn down what at the time was list price.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:31 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,671,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Actually had an offer in for 199K, it was turned down. They came back saying they wanted 205K.

They said they recently added granite countertops and crown molding which they said is why the price went to 209. I just read in the Observer that ppl were trying to get less frills and extras and were settling for some of the more basics instead of upgrades.

I decided to walk, the agent on site told me 195K 8 days ago, then the upgrades came in and I offered 199K and it was still rejected. There's enough other stuff on the market. I just couldn't understand why/how it happened and as a first time buyer putting in my first offer in what so many ppl describe as a "buyers" market how the builder could turn down what at the time was list price.
MysteryMT, I don't know, but something doesn't sound right. Im not sure if we as an audience are getting the true picuture of all the dialogue between you and the builder.

I honestly don't see how they will walk away because of a 6K spread?

It doesn't make sense. Are they bullying you a little and trying to get you to take their price?

Old 03-02-2009, 07:54 PM

I felt like they were that's why I decided to walk.

When I first saw the house 2/21 it didn't have granite or molding in the living room and eat-in area or the tile back splash, so I said OK, I like the house, but I'd really like to have tile in the kitchen instead of the vinyl that they had down. The seller said, no no we can't do any more work in that house, it's already marked down from the 240s. So I left. List Price at this time was 199 and the seller said they'd probably entertain 195 or at least it was reasonable.

Tuesday I have my realtor call them and schedule an appt so we can write up the contract. Friday we arrive and the seller says, "I want to show you the house again" look we made all these upgrades - granite countertops, tile backsplash, crown molding and a nicer mantle and they'd get stainless appliances. It cost us about 10K but we'll give it to you for 6K (which would've been 201K). I ask what it'd cost for black appliances since they weren't in yet, but he says they are already ordered and stainless is going in. I say OK it wasn't the Tile floor I asked for and the seller told me "no more work could be done" the week before - I still put in an offer for 199K, which was 4K over what I would have offered 5 days before.

We didn't put a timeline on the offer cuz they said they'd get us an answer quick. The seller takes it back to the builder and the guy says he has to call his Dad who's in WV and can't be reached on his Nextel. All of Saturday goes by and we get the same story, can't get ahold of the guy in WV. Sunday goes by and they call saying, well what if you take black appliances instead of stainless (now I start to get bitter) I say no, my offer is in the ball's in their court. Today my realtor says (per my instruction) we need to know - Accept, Reject, Counter, at 3 PM today they call and say now they want 205K.

I walk...let me rephrase I walk bitterly away from a house that I liked. If you're a realtor that has a client looking for these types of upgrades and willing to pay 200-201 you can probably grab it, it's a nice lot and the house is triple E with lots of insulation I think? and it sounds like Gandy is pulling out so the private circle won't be completed, I was just tired of what felt like a big game at my expense.

I mean honestly, they couldn't get ahold of the boss in WV? They can't do any work, and the next week I show up and all this work is done? The appliances are ordered, until Sunday then they try to pull that back too...it just got old fast.

Last edited by MysteryMT; 03-02-2009 at 08:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte