Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:17 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times

Advertisements

This is great!! This week students on campuses across the country (including UNCC) are protesting anti-gun laws that strip responsible, law-abiding citizens of their right to conceal and carry firearms. There are many ways you can contribute by going to their website: Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.com

Please do not get off topic here. I want this thread to stay open for education purposes and to inform those who cherish their rights to bear arms that students at UNCC and across the country are standing up for their rights to defend themselves. This thread is not for political discussion as it will be moved!!

Read the local story at:

News 14 | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES | Some seek to carry on campus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 05:19 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
Y, I joined the Facebook group which is 28,xxx members strong.
Great info there.

No need to be a college student to join (although I sometimes wish I still was).

Old 04-22-2008, 05:33 PM

Yeah, I wish I had a physical campus (I'm online at ECU) I attend to demonstrate myself. I'm gonna be buying some items from the website though.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i support constitutional right to bear arms. repeatedly schools are not protecting the public. to the contrary herding all the students into one area makes it easier to kill them.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i support constitutional right to bear arms. repeatedly schools are not protecting the public. to the contrary herding all the students into one area makes it easier to kill them.
Hey Huck, I see you're from Cali. I wonder if this protest is taking place at UCB--the University of Communism at Berkley.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:20 PM

160 posts, read 401,741 times
This is great news. Now whenever a college kid gets dumped by his girlfriend, instead of getting into a fight with her new man, he can go tie one on and go shot him instead.

Honestly, does anyone really think about the implications of having hundreds/thousands of 20 yr old college kids on campus with sidearms?

This is typical for americans, we over react to everything. If I were back in college, I'd rather take my chances with the one in a hundred million shot at running into the crazy kid as opposed to knowing half the rednecks at the friday night party were carrying.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
This is great news. Now whenever a college kid gets dumped by his girlfriend, instead of getting into a fight with her new man, he can go tie one on and go shot him instead.

Honestly, does anyone really think about the implications of having hundreds/thousands of 20 yr old college kids on campus with sidearms?

This is typical for americans, we over react to everything. If I were back in college, I'd rather take my chances with the one in a hundred million shot at running into the crazy kid as opposed to knowing half the rednecks at the friday night party were carrying.
Since you simply do not understand, let me help you with your concerns:

Quote:
The way it is now (as you say), any kid can get a firearm and commit a violent crime. At least the "new man" would have the chance to defend himself against the crazy kid.

Quote:
I guess you don't understand facts, only feelings? 20 year old cannot carry a sidearm, they cannot even PURCHASE a sidearm!

Quote:
If I were back in college, I'd rather take my chances with the one in a hundred million shot at running into the crazy kid as opposed to knowing half the rednecks at the friday night party were carrying.
Again, that is what is happening now, and it's not working. Case in point: Virginia Tech, Chapel Hill, Auburn to name a few.

I encourage you to educate yourself on the facts and cease relying on your feelings--it might get you killed.

Please no more politics as I requested in the OP.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:32 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
Honestly, as a true Southern gentlemen, I would not mind seeing dueling come back into fashion.
If two adults feel so strongly about a given subject that they are willing to subject themselves to possible fatality, then let them have at it.

But seriously.
At 18, if one can join the military and fight enemies du jour, then why not allow them to be able to protect themselves on a college campus?
I went to NCSU years ago, and my roommate had a plethora of hunting arms in his closet which did not bother me in the least.

History has shown that an armed society is a polite society.
Every Swiss man has a sidearm and a rifle, yet gun violence in Switzerland is among the lowest in the world.
Interesting.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:23 PM

620 posts, read 2,118,932 times
I am a college student, and this would NOT make me feel anymore comfortable or safe. So we have one person who decides to go kill people, so he brings one gun on campus to do so, and our reaction is lets allow everyone who wants to bring a gun on campus do so as a solution? So, more guns are the solution? This would make me pretty uncomfortable with all these people carrying guns. What constitutes a responsible, law-abiding citizen? They have no record of violence? That doesn't mean anything as some people can just snap. Isn't it always the ones who you would least expect it to be that go on school shooting sprees? I can see and understand both sides of this issue, but all I know is that my gut feeling tells me that it would make me feel uncomfortable. There are just a lot of things wrong with allowing students to bring guns on campus...

Old 04-22-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
I am a college student, and this would NOT make me feel anymore comfortable or safe. So we have one person who decides to go kill people, so he brings one gun on campus to do so, and our reaction is lets allow everyone who wants to bring a gun on campus do so as a solution? So, more guns are the solution? This would make me pretty uncomfortable with all these people carrying guns. What constitutes a responsible, law-abiding citizen? They have no record of violence? That doesn't mean anything as some people can just snap. Isn't it always the ones who you would least expect it to be that go on school shooting sprees? I can see and understand both sides of this issue, but all I know is that my gut feeling tells me that it would make me feel uncomfortable. There are just a lot of things wrong with allowing students to bring guns on campus...
There are many students on a college campus that are over 21, in fact, well above that age. I was 26 when I graduated. What's the difference in a college adult carrying (which requires training and a government issued permit) versus an adult on the streets legally carrying? You'd be quite surprised how many people surrounding you have firearms concealed, whether it's in a Wendys, gas station, or shopping center. Does that make you feel uncomfortable too?

The truth is, there needs to be more citizens arming themselves to keep the thugs guessing. They are a lot less likely to go on a rampage if they know the people inside might be armed. It's not just one incident that has occurred, it's been several of which I already mentioned a few.

The crux of this issue is that gun law restrictions only harm the innocent. You can have the strictest of all gun laws, and people wishing to do harm will always find a way to commit their acts. The old saying goes, "guns don't kill people, people kill people." Keeping guns out of the hands of those trained to use them to defend themselves (Shepherds) or others (Sheep), only enables and encourages those who (Wolves) wish to cause harm.

I will continue to do my part as a Shepherd to protect the Sheep from the Wolves among us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte