Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:34 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,298,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
You might want to check with "excelsior" (not sure of the spelling) nursing on the internet. My son had considered doing it. You can get any nursing degree you wish at your own speed. However, it isn't cheap and you will have to travel to a medical center for hands on evaluation and testing at certain intervals. It is a respected method of getting certified through correspondence. Again, it isn't cheap. From what I understand, it is about the best you will find when it comes to correspondence nursing certification.
Thank you for your suggestion- I couldn't be successful at doing an online program, I need to be seated in front of a professor soaking it all in. Good deal for those who can swing it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So glad you explained that. I should not have referred to it as a waiting list. It is hard as heck to get in - I know someone who has been trying for going on four years now. And you are so right - no such thing as a "guarantee!!!"
That is awful! Four years?? You wouldn't happen to know their GPA would you?

After year #2 I will pick up and move to Rhode Island or West Virginia (shudder), ok maybe not W.Virginia but somewhere that doesn't have tons of applicants. This is all very scary- now I'm wondering if I should just do that from right now!

Old 03-16-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post

Also, there are no "waiting lists". Applicants are ranked and those who are not accepted are offered seats should any who ARE accepted, decline.
That is, 54 seats available 90 applicants. 2 decline, #55 and 56 offered a seat, etc until the class is full. No applications carry over to the next year/admissions cycle. Everyone who is not accepted must re-apply the next year. Also, no university or community college "guarantees" admission into nursing school and if you know of one, please post the school's name for us all!
My first choice school, Watts @ Duke Univ/Mt Olive guarantees all accepted students will get into the nursing program. I was only researching Charlotte schools as a back up.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:46 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
My first choice school, Watts @ Duke Univ/Mt Olive guarantees all accepted students will get into the nursing program. I was only researching Charlotte schools as a back up.
"....all accepted students will get into the nursing program..." You'll have to be accepted by Watts as well as Mt Olive. There is no guarantee that once you complete your pre-reqs that you are automatically accepted into the diploma program. Why research Charlotte area schools? You are closer to Wake Tech, Durham Tech, Guilford Tech, Alamance....., all with accredited ADN programs.

Last edited by mm_mary73; 03-16-2009 at 10:57 AM..

Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aduke View Post
......because their nursing program wasn't accrediated even though the RN actually took and passed the NCLEX boards.
Not possible - unless the program lost its most recent accreditation. Nursing schools have a few different accreditations - CNE/NLN-AC/regional and not all of them are required. For example, a school of nursing MUST be accredited by the state board of nursing (or whatever agency is in charge of that). If the board doesn't accredit the program, the graduates can't take state board licensing exam. Simple as that.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM

79 posts, read 280,261 times
Quote:
Not possible - unless the program lost its most recent accreditation. Nursing schools have a few different accreditations - CNE/NLN-AC/regional and not all of them are required. For example, a school of nursing MUST be accredited by the state board of nursing (or whatever agency is in charge of that). If the board doesn't accredit the program, the graduates can't take state board licensing exam. Simple as that.
I was posting in general and not about a specific program. I actually live up in MASS and there are a places marketing for RN training that are not accredicated by the state or any organization. Unfortunately, the public is unaware and once they get your money and take their course, the state won't license you even if you pass the NCLEX.

Last edited by aduke; 03-16-2009 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 03-16-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
"....all accepted students will get into the nursing program..." You'll have to be accepted by Watts as well as Mt Olive. There is no guarantee that once you complete your pre-reqs that you are automatically accepted into the diploma program. Why research Charlotte area schools? You are closer to Wake Tech, Durham Tech, Guilford Tech, Alamance....., all with accredited ADN programs.
Yes you are correct. The edge this school has over others is that as long as you successfully complete the first semester, you are in the nursing program. In other colleges you can do the same thing, yet still have to wait around for space or reapply the next semester.

I live outside of both Durham and Charlotte. The only reason I would move to Durham is to attend Watts. If I had to choose between the 2 cities, I would go to Charlotte- I have no ties to the area I am in. I'm in Fayetteville and there are 2 schools I would consider attending out here, but Charlotte is my preference.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aduke View Post
I was posting in general and not about a specific program. I actually live up in MASS and there are a places marketing for RN training that are not accredicated by the state or any organization. Unfortunately, the public is unaware and once they get your money and take their course, the state won't license you even if you pass the NCLEX.
My point is one cannot apply for, let alone write, the NCLEX UNLESS the program is accredited/approved by the state board of nursing or whatever agency controls the licensing of professionals. That's the same whether or not you live in MA or PA or NY or IL or NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte