U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-04-2009, 06:12 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,675,008 times
Default Wwyd? (upgrades for our new home)

We are now at the stage of picking out the upgrades for our new home. Originally we were certain about having them put in hardwoods throughout the first floor but now I am amazed at the price and the lack of style/color options they are offering. To get anything we would even really like we have to go to their top level offers which are just absurdly priced. So now we are considering accepting the standard carpet and having someone local install hardwoods at a later time. we figure we can get our dream floors for at least $3K less than their not so great level 1 floors. The only thing is it does make me sad to know we will initially have carpet. I guess I had this imagine of walking in the door that first day and it definitely included wood floors. Soooo bottomline, would you pay more money for not so great hardwoods immediately or wait a few months (not have the immediate gratification) and get great floors for less money?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 06:21 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,721,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
We are now at the stage of picking out the upgrades for our new home. Originally we were certain about having them put in hardwoods throughout the first floor but now I am amazed at the price and the lack of style/color options they are offering. To get anything we would even really like we have to go to their top level offers which are just absurdly priced. So now we are considering accepting the standard carpet and having someone local install hardwoods at a later time. we figure we can get our dream floors for at least $3K less than their not so great level 1 floors. The only thing is it does make me sad to know we will initially have carpet. I guess I had this imagine of walking in the door that first day and it definitely included wood floors. Soooo bottomline, would you pay more money for not so great hardwoods immediately or wait a few months (not have the immediate gratification) and get great floors for less money?
I'd live with the carpets for a while. Don't forget - all those options that you add, bring up the cost of your house and thus - your tax bill. You'll be paying property taxes on those hardwood floors for years! Save your money, and research what you will want and down the road and you'll probably end up with floors that may be more to your liking - better quality and a lower price. And the added benefit of no extra property tax on them!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:29 PM

12,259 posts, read 11,512,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
As a babyboomer, raised by midwestern Depression children, I never look for instant gratification. If it's not worth waiting for, is it worth it at all?

Old 03-04-2009, 07:12 PM

270 posts, read 345,217 times
Hardwood floor upgrades are a money maker for most builders, and a money loser for home buyers.

Have your selling agent provide you with the exact square footage for the affected rooms, and do the math. We did with our home from Ryan, and discovered that the Bruce Dundee plank flooring they used averaged out to about $20 per foot at their "upgrade" price schedule.

Do yourself a favor, go with the base carpet, move in and live with it, and then figure out what you want to add on. You will most likely save money on the product you choose to buy and install, and also not have to pay for it over the term of your mortgage.

Not sure how the builder installed HW would add to your tax bill...do tax assessors come in and view the interior? I don't think so.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:19 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,029,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post

Not sure how the builder installed HW would add to your tax bill...do tax assessors come in and view the interior? I don't think so.
Because the price of the house will be more expensive when the OP closes.

My thoughts:
The lower your mortgage the better. The less debt you owe to a bank and the less interest you pay the better. Unless you are buying this house in cash, then you could go for the hardwoods.

Otherwise, you can do hardwoods later when you have the cash and even do a DIY project if you are into that.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 PM

270 posts, read 345,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Because the price of the house will be more expensive when the OP closes.
A bit off topic, but I'm still fuzzy with the assessment process down here.

Are you saying that the initial assessment is based on the selling price, or on comparable home values?

What happens in year #2, when the market is going down at (X)% - Thx

Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 PM

358 posts, read 679,940 times
we are currently having our house built and went with the standard carpet..We will be changing this to hardwood sometime next year.. it will come out so much cheaper that way

Old 03-04-2009, 09:11 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,675,008 times
I guess I just needed the voices of reasons. To be honest the selections jsut aren't what we want anyway. Sometimes stupid stuff gets stuck in your head like walking into my house on the first day and seeing carpet instead of wood floors. But there's no way I would be happy paying what they are asking for what they are selling... Thanks everyone!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:27 AM

393 posts, read 691,848 times
Pay for upgrades you can't do yourself and take the "standard issue" on what you can do later.

For example, when we built, we paid for tray ceilings. Not something we can do later ourselves. We didn't pay for an upgraded countertop...we upgraded it later (and a whole lot cheaper).

Old 03-05-2009, 06:40 AM

10,138 posts, read 10,336,160 times
Take standard carpet and upgrade later for cheaper. You'll get over walking into a house with carpet real quick. It's not that big of a deal in a week and then if you really can't deal with it, then do the floors on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte