Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:07 PM

311 posts, read 915,924 times

Advertisements

HMMMmmm.. Queens, I wouldn't be too worried. I'm sure you have researched Charlotte somewhat and know what you're getting yourself into. If you have moved from Queens to other places, you should be fine. It will definitely be an adjustment because there is absolutely NO place like New York, but I'm sure you know that already. I'm from Long Island, I absolutely hated it here when we first got here.. I was bitter and wanted to move home, and it appears a lot of NYers here want to move back but a ton also LOVE it here and never want to move back. It's really case by case, person by person type of thing. It grew on me and now I'm ok with it. The appeal of someday affording our own house here is.. well, appealing! I would think for most families, that's part of what they love here and what makes them stay. If you are in love with NY, you might not enjoy your move. I have a ridiculous amount of NY pride so moving here was hard. (Missed the food, the atmosphere, the energy, the people, the accents.. etc, EVERYTHING about NY I missed! and still do) And though somedays I find myself daydreaming of New York, I don't know.. we just kinda got comfortable here and I guess we'll stay for awhile.

I wouldn't take it so far as to think you're coming to the COUNTRY, though there are some rural areas here and windy roads. If you ever miss traffic, just venture out on the Charlotte roads during rush hour.. there's plenty of traffic here lol. The night life is in no way shape or form up to par with Manhattan or Queens, but no city compares to the night life of NY, so that's a given. I really think the hardest thing for you, me, and most people moving here, is to move without family.. that's what may kill you. My sister and her family visited last week and it felt SO much better down here when they were here and the fact that they will move here soon excites me to no end because we get bored here. But if you find friends here, you could love it... I'm just totally rambling.. trying to give you an idea of what it was like for me. You will get a different opinion from every transplanted New Yorker that you talk to. OOOOOOOO and being landlocked - I HATE THAT!!!!!! Beach is way too far, but what are you gonna do? Why are you moving here anyway? job? Hope it works out and you enjoy your move!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 PM

35 posts, read 68,302 times
Home: I am moving here for work my sister lives in ATL and says she would never ever ever move back to NYC she loves the south.....like you said I think my biggest issue is moving to a city where I dont know anyone but then again I am down for a new adventure and everyone on this forum has lots to say about Charlotte.....I will def miss the food and other conviniences and I am not too worried about the night life (I usually have fun where ever I am)

Old 03-04-2009, 10:40 PM

My biggest problem (its very silly) but there is no H&M in Charlotte but sacrifices must be made lol

Old 03-05-2009, 04:28 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Default check your mail

I have sent you a DM.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:30 AM

285 posts, read 800,462 times
just don't be shocked when the grocery store offers to take out your cart.

and when people ask you how you are, they usually care.

BUT... bring bagels, and locatelli cheese. Can't get the bagels, but the cheese is spendy!!! I just got my new brick this week flown in... Well my mom's here too

Old 03-05-2009, 05:57 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,398 times
I grew up in NJ and lived for 10 years in DC prior to coming to NC (Raleigh first for 6 months, and then for the past 18 months have been in Charlotte).

The best piece of advice I can offer to you is to try to resist the urge to constantly compare Charlotte to NYC. This will be hard to do, as I believe it is only natural and human nature to make these comparisons. It is okay to miss home, but come with an open mind and enjoy exploring your new city. The more you get out and explore, the more you will find to enjoy.

Also resist the urge to become a hermit and stay at home. The more you get out (e.g., exploring!) the more people you'll meet, and the more likely it will be that you make new friends. This will definitely help you settle in and feel more comfortable here.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:16 AM

539 posts, read 1,498,585 times
Where in Charlotte are you moving to? I am from LI and have lived here almost 3 yrs now. It is an adjustment, but mostly a pleasent one. Don't be suprised when strangers start a conversation with you, especially when on line at a store. People here are generally more friendly then NY. On the major roads they drive just like up north, but different oon the side streets. I see almost daily where people are driving 5 miles under the limit. Also it seems like blinkers are optional here. And if you see signs for yard sales on the road don't get too close to the person in front of you, people have a tendancy to just stop when they see one.
These are not bad things at all and I will never go back, just things that you need to get used to. It is slower here, but in a nice way. I seem to find myself more relaxed than when I lived in NY. And I still remember the fist time I said Y'all. It will happen to you, trust me. Are there things I miss? Sure there are, but there are things here I love and would miss if I left. Yes it is hare to find NY style pizza, but not impossible, and bagels are not very popular. But I know I could never find a pulled pork sandwich with slaw up there and it is one of the best things ever.
Good luck to you, I'm sure you will love it here. Just take everything in and try not to compare everything or you will drive yourself nuts.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:35 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,054 times
I could list a thousand things, but one of the more interesting adjustments for me was the lack of road rage. in ny/nj it was just a way of life, but in the year I've been here I've only heard one horn honk and I'm pretty sure that was by accident. I'm a much happier driver now.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:39 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Moving from Miami to up here is definitely a change of pace. I'm not a huge club goer anymore but when I want to, there's no place good to go up here. Plus there really isn't any local bars to go to that are worth anything, IMO.

Even though I really am happy to be out of Miami, I do miss the nightlife/social life options.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:59 AM

I am moving into tempary housing first (Camden Cotton Mills) then I have 30 days to find a place......I wil definately bring bagels (thanks for that bit of advice)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte