U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:54 PM

35 posts, read 60,870 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Charlotte next week (from NYC) and everyone keeps asking me if I am ready for a slower paced life.....but im not sure what that means.....transplants what has been your experiences since moving to Charlotte?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 06:59 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
I think I would roll up in a ball and die if I had lived in Manhattan and then suddenly found myself here. But that is just me.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:02 PM

LOL Manhattan's cool since I commute there everyday I try to avoid it on weekends.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:32 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
You will be fine here. It will be an adjustment. I am a native and love NYC!! You will think the silence is deafening at first . . . but it is really pretty here. Spring will be beautiful. Charlotte is known as the "City of Trees." Everything blooms and it really is lovely.

Just not the choices for entertainment, of course . . . but you will be fine. We have a lot of folks move here from NY. In fact, we tease that we are the Sixth Burrough these days.

WELCOME!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:41 PM

lol thanks....im sure spring is lovely but my allergies wont think so (note to self stock up on clariton)

Old 03-04-2009, 07:43 PM

110 posts, read 364,396 times
I was born in NY and went to college in NYC. I moved to NJ in 1986 and to NC in 2006. It's an adjustment. At times its not always easy, especially when you first arrive. My best advice to you is to be patient with yourself. There are tons of things to do in Charlotte. The weather is great and there is so much to appreciate. I didn't feel this way at first, but its great living here! I wish you the best of luck in your new home!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:45 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,806,526 times
Please note that Charlotte is not dead. I moved here at age 40 and wanted a slower pace. Charlotte offers me plenty of things to do, clubs, bar-lounges, amusement among other things. The atmosphere is very diverse and you will find that there are fun things to do. If I was younger than 30, I may find it difficult unless you are very quiet and not into the nightlife.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,285,677 times
I'll put it to you this way: When I've visited New Jersey and New York, they serve as reminders as to just how far I've fallen. I couldn't even begin to tell you how badly I get smoked driving the Turnpike or Parkway, me being the same guy who was able to keep up with, and sometimes even pass, every car on the highway. I used to be able to walk up to a red light around Times Square on a Saturday evening, look at the mass of humanity about to cross the other way, and mentally put myself in a zone looking for a blitz. Now I'd look at it with more than a bit of dread ("how the f*** am I gonna get through all of these people?!?!?"). Nowadays I find myself getting more pissed off at the person trying to hurry someone up on a grocery line as opposed to the actual person holding everything up. It's all gradual and you won't really notice it until you actually go back to visit. You'll find yourself wondering how you were able to keep up in the first place.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:38 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,170,406 times
Moving from Manhattan to Westchester County would be considered an adjustment in "pace"...what's your point?
Not to sound condescending, but if you don't realize that you're in for a change of pace, when you're moving out of Manhattan to anywhere, you may be making the wrong move.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 PM

stmaarten: this isnt the first time I have moved from NYC to somewhere else so I am not afraid of change oh to be perfectly clear I am from Queens completely different borough.....my POINT was to get the views of others that have made the move and their experiences living in Charlotte or the South period
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or