Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:02 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times

Advertisements

My apologies- neither of your comments refered to anything being upscale. My post was more aimed at earlier posters who had made reference to upscale retail. In my defense, OP asked about malls with big anchors, and cited Macys and Nordstrom. Where I'm from, you're just as likely to see the malls anchored with Penneys and Sears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 08:05 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
My apologies- neither of your comments refered to anything being upscale. My post was more aimed at earlier posters who had made reference to upscale retail. In my defense, OP asked about malls with big anchors, and cited Macys and Nordstrom. Where I'm from, you're just as likely to see the malls anchored with Penneys and Sears.
And I for one sorely miss Sears at Southpark since it closed.
Now I have to drive all the way to Carolina Place to replace Craftsman tools!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
And I for one sorely miss Sears at Southpark since it closed.
Now I have to drive all the way to Carolina Place to replace Craftsman tools!
I signed up for Sears "specials" via email and highly recommend it. We get coupons via email for internet only . . . and wow - we have saved some serious cash on various purchases, including Craftsman tools! Plus, if you know what you want, you can order it online (often w/ a discount - in addition to sales prices) and pick it up at Sears (no shipping charges). They will even let you know when to pick it up. Very convenient.

Hoagie . . . shopping is a big deal here. The demographics of the area (especially around SouthPark) are such that the median incomes are quite a bit higher than the national median income. So there really are a lot of consumers here for upscale goods and shopping experiences. But there are bargains to be had . . . even at the upscale stores. I like to stretch a dollar - it is like treasure hunting for me.

Last edited by brokensky; 06-19-2008 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-19-2008, 10:03 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
I, for one, had hoped that the Northlake Mall would bring a Sears somewhat closer to the North Charlotte/Lake Norman area, but it didn't. Maybe over time one will be built somewhere around here. I can't recall seeing a new Sears built in a long, long time. Oh well, another excuse to drive to Hanes Mall. I really want to get on of those Craftsman fold-up utility trailers they have. That would be perfect for the occasional hauling use withou causing a storage problem.

Funny, but I thought that JC Penny was all but dead. I couldn't even tell you where I last saw a store still open. But, as you drive along I-40E/I-85N near Burlington, there's a brandy-new JCP there along with a bunch of other stores. Maybe they're slowly trying to come back.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:09 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
I like my name brands too, only I get them for rock bottom prices at TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Why spend $100 on a pair of Perry Ellis slacks when I can get it at TJM for $29.99? lol........

Old 06-19-2008, 10:18 AM

172 posts, read 584,357 times
I'm partial to Ross myself. Their prices are the lowest I have found.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:15 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I, for one, had hoped that the Northlake Mall would bring a Sears somewhat closer to the North Charlotte/Lake Norman area, but it didn't. Maybe over time one will be built somewhere around here. I can't recall seeing a new Sears built in a long, long time. Oh well, another excuse to drive to Hanes Mall. I really want to get on of those Craftsman fold-up utility trailers they have. That would be perfect for the occasional hauling use withou causing a storage problem.

Funny, but I thought that JC Penny was all but dead. I couldn't even tell you where I last saw a store still open. But, as you drive along I-40E/I-85N near Burlington, there's a brandy-new JCP there along with a bunch of other stores. Maybe they're slowly trying to come back.
You know, they have a Sears at Carolina Mall in Concord. It's actually pretty decently sized. I believe they're anchored by Penneys on the other end too!

Old 06-19-2008, 02:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I like my name brands too, only I get them for rock bottom prices at TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Why spend $100 on a pair of Perry Ellis slacks when I can get it at TJM for $29.99? lol........
They greet me by name at Marshall's and TJ Maxx, LOL!!! Just can't beat the deals. Last big find: Anne Klein coat - $39.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:35 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Why does everyone in Charlotte insist on bragging about all the high-end crap we have in Charlotte? Has it not occured to the people that the majority of the people who live here are not the type of people that typically do business at Macys, Nordstroms and Hechts? Are we so caught up in name brands that every stinking aspect of our lives has to have a label on it? Seriously, I've been to South Park 1 time in 2 years- and that was to see the symphony. Perhaps the whole world could get along better if we were all a little less self absorbed, and a little more conscious that money aint everything!!!
Whoa.

I agree that Marshall's and Ross are two good places to get the better brands for less. I tear clothes up easily (my Incredible Hulk tendencies) and prefer the brand names. You get what you pay for.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:13 PM

307 posts, read 715,208 times
Well I guess this thread is old but there is a Macy's at Northlake mall, not sure how long it has been there but it has been there since I got here a couple of months ago.

I didn't know Macy's was considered "upscale" either. I find some of the best deals on everything at Macy's, if you have their coupons you are set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte