Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:43 AM

54 posts, read 194,573 times

Advertisements

A neighbor (in my former neighborhood) lived alone. He woke up one night and heard someone in his house so he got his gun out. He remembered just in time that he had let one of his buddies spend the night.

Another time, very late on a summer night (same neighborhood), we were disturbed by some noises outside of our house. We looked out the windows and saw flashlight beams in our backyard including one pointing at my kids raised "fort". We got a big spotlight flashlight and pointed it in that direction. It was some of the neighborhood kids playing flashlight tag. They included a wide range of ages from about 7 through late teens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 07:59 AM

407 posts, read 851,189 times
This whole thing is more confusing than enlightening. Not being a particularly big or aggressive person I hope I would react violently to someone inside my house threatening harm to my wife or even my dog. I doubt if I would have enough time to consult my son or son-in-law, both of whom are lawyers, as to the correct legal action to pursue. I imagine they both would say "Shoot the bastard!"

Old 03-08-2009, 08:09 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
This whole thing is more confusing than enlightening. Not being a particularly big or aggressive person I hope I would react violently to someone inside my house threatening harm to my wife or even my dog. I doubt if I would have enough time to consult my son or son-in-law, both of whom are lawyers, as to the correct legal action to pursue. I imagine they both would say "Shoot the bastard!"

I wouldn't hope to react violently, I know I would. I'm not even concerned about harm to myself. If I see someone ready to take the life of someone I truly care about, he's dead. I'll worry about my own guilt, my own legal issues, who I ultimately may or may not have to answer to later. My instinct turns to protecting the safety of those in harm's way.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:02 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
If intruders are far enuff away to see a person's silhouette lighted on a porch or deck holding a shotgun but close enuff to hear the person yelling at them, I can assure you those people are gonna want to leave the premises. I would never waste a round firing into the air as shouting to get someone's attention - and allowing them to see you standing there - should be enuff to encourage their departure (unless we are talking felony escapees from a nearby jail).

I have had someone shoot at me before (well, shoot a warning shot) and my g/father has sure shot up in the air b/f to warn people off his land. HOWEVER . . . these were not suburban situations. My g/daddy had 37 acres and there was absolutely no good reason for someone to be messing around his home late at nite. Now, someone needing help . . . they would have been yelling - HELLO, HELLO - I need help, etc.

It used to be people knew damn well they would get shot at if they ventured on someone else's property late at night. Sorry - all of you who think it is somehow uncivilized to alert others that you are aware of their presence and you are armed - we are gonna just have to disagree. For all I know, a rabid dog could be on my property when I hear a big ruckus w/ my dog and know some living creature has traversed my property line. So you better believe I am gonna grab the shotgun and see what is going on.

I have pointed a gun straight at someone before and I was fully prepared to use it. I was home sick, on a forty acre farm with the home being half a mile back in the woods . . . and the nearest neighbor a mile away . . . I was asleep and sick (with the flu) and I was awakened by this "whapping" sound on the side of my house.

I grabbed my Beretta, took it off safety and sneaked to the deck so I could peer down towards the side of the house where I heard this strange sound. As I did so, I put the bullet in the chamber and in the quiet of the afternoon, you could clearly hear that click click sound. As I moved to the corner, I saw a guy standing there, hands up in the air. It is funny now but at the time - the first thing I thought was - some PERVERT!!!!

Turns out it was the tax assessor, measuring my house!!!

And yes, he stuttered as he answered my questions.

And yes, I immediately lowered my handgun when I realized what was going on.

So it seems to me . . . each situation is different. Millions of people own firearms and never have the occasion to discharge them for ANY reason and certainly never encounter a person who seems to be lurking around the house, or even in the process of breaking in.

The facts are . . . there is a responsibility in these situations on everyone's part - NOT just the homeowner's. Only an idiot would be stupid enuff to tramp thru /the woods at night w/o first alerting the homeowners. I have had to look for a cat at night and I was knocking on doors letting my neighbors know I was out and about and may come near their homes. Amazingly, neighbors put on coats and came out WITH me and we did find my fine boy - up a tree! But to be messing around at nite when you will be crossing other people's property is foolish. Why frighten your neighbors? Why have to explain to police (if they show up) that you are out playing tag or hunting for a cat?

Don't do stupid stuff and you won't get an over-reaction from a cautious homeowner. In these days, w/ crime being on our minds - and with thugs out and about who are brazen - it is sheerly FOOLISH to go onto someone else's property without alerting the homeowner.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:40 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
[quote=LLN;7768359]All you urban cowboys packin heat better listen up.

Take a concealed weapon carry class and you will be surprised what you can and cannot do. Mostly can't.

Exactly, I also have a concealed weapon permit. Not that I will ever be allowed to use it legally, it is nice to have incase the threat occurs. My argument about this whole issue is firing your gun to scare someone off. That is a serious no,no. I would first identify who was prowling if possible to make sure that it wasn't innocent kids or campers. Then, I would grab a weapon and follow the suspect while keeping a communication going with the police if possible. Last measure, I would walk in the vacinity of the prowler as if I were unaware of his (their) presence and hope (my little secret) that he (they) come up to me in a life threatening manner. If that happenes, somebody will likely not be having coffee in the morning.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:53 AM

Well, my thing is - as long as you are not threatening me - I don't want a confrontation.

I don't even like verbal confrontations in the workplace. But I will not be intimidated and I will not back down and cower if you come onto my property with the intent of harming me or my family.

The thing is - how does one determine intent? All you can hope to do is show the person you are taking their presence seriously and they should identify themselves or leave. Seems pretty clear to me.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:58 AM

138 posts, read 412,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
Two principles to understand in NC:

Escalation of force
Duty of retreat

If you understand both of those you will have a pretty good idea on what your rights are as a property owner and gun owner.
In NC there is NO Duty to Retreat when in one's home.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:53 PM

314 posts, read 675,620 times
I am sorry that some confusion has come of this. Let me say that the shots fired were intended as a warning and not to hurt or kill anyone. They were yelled to first (Who are you? What are you doing back here?) and did not respond. That is when the warning shots were fired.

Also some have said it was kids. OK, well it could have been but it certainly wasn't young kids playing tag (it was 12:30 am on a school night) and if it was some teenagers (they still should have been home at that hour so shame on the parents) they first off should know better than to tresspass on peoples property and if they encounter a frightened homeowner they should identify themselves when asked. The field they were on is not a cut through....it leads to the backs of peoples homes where their families sleep at 12:30 in the am. I'd think there would have to be someone old enough to drive because they most likely did not walk along hwy 73 to get to the area in back of these homes.

I think Ani said it best here: "Don't do stupid stuff and you won't get an over-reaction from a cautious homeowner. In these days, w/ crime being on our minds - and with thugs out and about who are brazen - it is sheerly FOOLISH to go onto someone else's property without alerting the homeowner."

Also is there an age at which people think "kids" can't commit crimes? Say it was teenagers....there are crimes committed every day by teenagers who aren't afraid to rob, rape or kill.
Also criminals are not always smart...just because they used flashlights doesn't mean they weren't planning a crime....it just means they figured everyone was in bed, or that no one would be looking out that way (and normally no one is). Has anyone ever watched world's dumbest criminals? Or saw on the news when a thug who robbed someones house looked right into their surveillance camera? Yeah, really smart! LOL!

I posted this just to inform people and not to start the great debate. I did not share this to have people argue or poke fun of or make sarcastic remarks about it. Once again, I apologize for the confusion and for all the details that muddled the real issue. In retrospect I realize I didn't need to be so graphic because the gun issue overshadowed the possible crime event and police response/reaction which is what I really had wanted to share with all of you.

I think it is time to move on now and let this post rest!!!

Last edited by MA2NC; 03-08-2009 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: rambled on a bit

Old 03-08-2009, 02:47 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I grabbed my Beretta, took it off safety and sneaked to the deck so I could peer down towards the side of the house where I heard this strange sound. As I did so, I put the bullet in the chamber and in the quiet of the afternoon, you could clearly hear that click click sound. As I moved to the corner, I saw a guy standing there, hands up in the air. It is funny now but at the time - the first thing I thought was - some PERVERT!!!!

Turns out it was the tax assessor, measuring my house!!!

And yes, he stuttered as he answered my questions.

And yes, I immediately lowered my handgun when I realized what was going on.

So it seems to me . . . each situation is different.

It should be the responsibility of the assessor to make an attempt in letting you know he's going to be surveying your property. I remember making a surprise trip back up to New Jersey to visit my family. I pulled in about 7 in the morning while it was still dark out. I had the key to get into their house, yet chose to knock on the door because I don't know if there's a baseball bat at someone's side with someone committed to clocking an intruder on the head.

One thing though...women with Barettas....swwwwooooooooooonnnnnnn

Old 03-08-2009, 03:22 PM

Hee Hee. Like many Southerners, I grew up w/ a S&W but discovered I like the feel of a 9mm Beretta in my hand. I enjoy target practice with it.

Brian - my sisters and I - as well as the grandsons and our hubbies - all know that my ex-Marine dad will be standing to greet us w/ a shotgun if he were to hear someone messing around the house in the dark. I thank god he is that way, b/c I worry about my elderly parents being the victims of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte