U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2007, 06:05 PM

58 posts, read 287,642 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live the South Charlotte, and have been looking to move to Union County. We originally intended to build a house in Bonterra, but stumbled across the perfect two-year-old house in Indian Trail.

We made a contingency offer on the home last week, but the seller rejected the contingency. His house had been under contingency contracts twice, but both deals fell through at the last minute, so the owner rightfully didn't want to do another. It turns out that his agent used to live on my street and still owns property here. Knowing that my neighborhood was selling quickly, he convinced his client to take a 30-day contingency.

My wife and I spent all weekend preparing our house to put on the market, which we did late Sunday night. We ended up having seven showings on Monday, and received an offer that night. A second offer came in the next morning, but we accepted the first offer. The buyers are pre-qualified and are ready to close in weeks.

It's been an amazing week. We were blown away by the interest in our house. I hope the rest of the process goes this smoothly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 06:10 PM

82 posts, read 296,517 times
Just out of curiosity, what neighborhood are you moving from?

Old 03-21-2007, 06:21 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,687,338 times
Congratulations!

Old 03-21-2007, 06:27 PM

876 posts, read 3,481,517 times
MLS listing # for the interested people?

Old 03-22-2007, 07:58 AM

77 posts, read 423,119 times
WooHoo that's great!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 7,336 times
Default Great news for You!!

It is really nice to hear good news from people these days. We just spent the last 6 days in the Union County area looking at homes, schools, shopping, and the general atmosphere of everyday living in Southern North Carolina. We loved what we saw and we are planning to move this summer from NYC. It is well past the time to get out of here as the cost of living and standard of living for the middle/working class have drifted too far apart to enjoy your everyday life. It is not acceptable to work each day just to pay your bills.
My wife and I found the Union and South Mecklenberg counties to be clean, affordable and a good example of country living right outside the big city. We looked at new homes that were beautifully built, in nice big developments, with community in mind. We cant wait to move as we will rent for the first six months while we build our own home. We visited the schools in Hemby Bridge, Porter Ridge, Indian Trail, and Sun Valley and we were very impressed with the level of excellence in the educational system there. We have two children (8, 13) and they also had a great time while we were there. They can't wait to move, and start new life with new friends and adventures. Please reply to this post with any info that will be helpful to us as it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 02:53 AM

49 posts, read 214,085 times
Default Growth for growth's sake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg90909 View Post
My wife and I found the Union and South Mecklenberg counties to be clean, affordable and a good example of country living right outside the big city. Please reply to this post with any info that will be helpful to us as it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
"with a population estimated at 162,929 for 2005, a 32% increase since the 2000 census...The county's fiscal 2005 quadrennial revaluation increased assessed valuation by 25%. School needs are significant due to student enrollment growth of an average of 6.5% annually over the past five years."

The growth Union County is experiencing will overwhelm the infrastructure in short order.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...y4.html?page=2
The link is a 4 year-old story, but the following excerpts give an indication of things to come. Individuals will bear the burden of taxes in Union County going forward because the business/industrial base isn't there.

"Union county commissioners established Vision 2020, a citizens-based group, in 1999. At the time, the county's tax base was 71% residential and 29% commercial and industrial.

The mix is now 75% residential and 25% commercial and industrial, Broome says. "We've actually gone backward" from Vision 2020's goal of having a 60-40 split of residential and commercial development, she says. "The growth has been great, but it does have its costs."

"Yearly law enforcement expenses in Union have grown 260% during the past 10 years, rising to $9.8 million, the group's report states."

Union County law enforcement and particularly Monroe, has always had somewhat of a "Deputy Dawg" reputation. I've talked with deputies who exhibit a cowboy mentality, bragging about driving their Camaros in pursuit situations on 2 lane roads in excess of 120 mph. I've personally been subjected to a harassment stop by the Monroe police. The chief was relieved of duties recently because of improprieties. County commissioners most recently have had several conflict of interests reported.

"Annual county school expenses have increased 241% during that period, growing to $17.8 million."

I would expect, given the continuing growth the county's experiencing, to see mobile units at brand-new schools.

And last, but not least, Union does not have a watershed to guarantee water needs.

"Monday, February 19, 2007
Union County, NC next to put a straw into the Catawba River?

According to a media reports last week, Union County officials will seek a transfer of water from the Catawba to address growth in its area. There is no indication of how much water would be proposed to be withdrawn."

The "cites" are excerpted from Google searches.

Comments are opinions based on 30+ years of observations.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:19 AM

525 posts, read 1,642,292 times
Well what a downer! We LIKE it here alot! The only way to address growth issues is to control them and ELECT officials who support growth BUT in a good way and smart way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte