U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 06:34 PM

116 posts, read 441,191 times

Advertisements

Personally I hope this is a sign of things to come. Here in FL Im used to non-smoking establishments so this is the 1 small negative Im concerned about moving to NC.

Concord Mills to ban smoking from entrance
ADAM BELL
abell@charlotteobserver.com

Starting April 2, Concord Mills will ban smoking at the main entrances of the mall.

The "fresh air zone" designation is in response to shopper concerns about encountering second-hand smoke, the state's top tourist attraction announced Wednesday.

"We'd get complaints on a regular basis," mall spokeswoman Sharon Campbell said. "We need to accommodate them."

She said a recent e-mail complaint from a shopper led mall staff to take a closer look at the issue. The inside of the mall has been non-smoking since Concord Mills opened in 1999.

The outside non-smoking areas will extend from the sidewalk surrounding the mall to the entry doors.
Read tomorrow's Charlotte Observer for more details on this developing story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 06:43 PM

889 posts, read 2,843,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
Personally I hope this is a sign of things to come. Here in FL Im used to non-smoking establishments so this is the 1 small negative Im concerned about moving to NC.

Concord Mills to ban smoking from entrance
ADAM BELL
abell@charlotteobserver.com

Starting April 2, Concord Mills will ban smoking at the main entrances of the mall.

The "fresh air zone" designation is in response to shopper concerns about encountering second-hand smoke, the state's top tourist attraction announced Wednesday.

"We'd get complaints on a regular basis," mall spokeswoman Sharon Campbell said. "We need to accommodate them."

She said a recent e-mail complaint from a shopper led mall staff to take a closer look at the issue. The inside of the mall has been non-smoking since Concord Mills opened in 1999.

The outside non-smoking areas will extend from the sidewalk surrounding the mall to the entry doors.
Read tomorrow's Charlotte Observer for more details on this developing story.
Good, it's about time !!!!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:12 PM

876 posts, read 3,479,298 times
they should ban smoking in all public buildings and restraunts...

Old 03-22-2007, 03:45 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,657,170 times
While I dont mind the ban in that certain area, I am against the government telling private businesses if they can allow people to smoke in the restaurants or bars.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:04 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,855,504 times
Personal choice.

I would prefer to go to a no smoking restaurant over a smoking restaurant.

They banned smoking from the bars in Scotland (which I don't agree with), however the pub trade is booming in Scotland as more people are goignt o the pubs as they are smoke free.

From yesterdays Observer

BILL SENT TO HOUSE FOR DEBATE
Smoking ban for N.C. sites gets panel's OK
Measure would affect most restaurants, bars, public places in state
Associated Press

RALEIGH --A state House committee gave its blessing Tuesday to a bill that would impose a broad ban on smoking at businesses and public places in North Carolina.Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 12:03 PM..

Old 03-22-2007, 07:15 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,102,811 times
When did the Scottish need a good reason to go to the pub. They are almost as bad as the English

I think it should be up to the owner of the establishment not big brother. The consumer will always dictate

Old 03-22-2007, 12:26 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,657,170 times
Ive heard about that bill, but believe me it has a loonng way to go before ever becoming law. For it to pass the house and Senate first of all, then even if it did pass the bill after all the politicians create all the loop holes in it it would probably not be worth the paper its written on. Remember tobacco is big in NC, and tobacco interests groups have a lot of influence in NC politics and I doubt they will allow this bill to pass...

Old 03-22-2007, 12:42 PM

116 posts, read 383,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
While I dont mind the ban in that certain area, I am against the government telling private businesses if they can allow people to smoke in the restaurants or bars.
We should never underestimate the hazards of second hand smoke. I personally don't believe anyone should have to be subjected to it when they go out in public. We all know the tragic story of Dana Reeves who died of lung cancer but was not a smoker. Two months ago, a friend of mine died at age 42 of lung cancer. He was never a smoker and maintained a very healthy lifestyle. However, his parents were smokers so he was exposed to second hand smoke growing up. It's impossible to prove that's what caused his cancer, but I would guess that it probably did. He's left behind a wonderful wife and a very young child. It seems so unfair.

With all that's known about the dangers and many other negatives of smoking, I can't help but believe that the real reason people smoke is because they're addicted. It makes not sense that they would do so otherwise. I think a lot of people are in denial about that. And I also think that allowing smoking in public places, besides being an annoyance to non-smokers, also serves as an enabler to smokers who may or may not be trying to quit. (Apart from the health hazards, there's the issue of hygeine. Being hit by just a couple puffs of someone else's smoke is enough to get that nasty stench in your clothes. Yuk!)

Old 03-22-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
When did the Scottish need a good reason to go to the pub. They are almost as bad as the English

I think it should be up to the owner of the establishment not big brother. The consumer will always dictate

I live in a smoke-free state now and believe me, nobody's complaining. It's always a jolt to my system when I go back to North Carolina and encounter people smoking in public places. It makes me eager to return home.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
they should ban smoking in all public buildings and restraunts...
I second that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte