Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 10:32 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdei38 View Post
What about Monroe? ...

Some of you out there grew up in great areas. And it took someone before you to make that area great. Well, Monroe makes the job easy. A great foundation is already laid for you to build upon. Monroe only has a bad name, that's it....pull up stats and compare them to the whole NC area. Monroe is a place you need to get into now. It will grow tremendously and appreciate....I don't see yuppies taking over....but properties will appreciate.....in my opinion.

What we as a community build is on us. Period. In ten years time, people will be wishing they could live in Monroe. I see it coming.
I agree with you. Monroe has great potential. I predict it won't be long before some of the newcomers find their way into Monroe and then it will boom. I mean, who believed that people would be flocking to Waxhaw ten years ago??

Old 04-05-2007, 05:05 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln S View Post
I was telling folks about my move to Charlotte in a few months. One person grew up in the area and told me the crime was out of control. I will live in either Northstone, Olde Sycamore, Palasades, etc. Thoghts?
I guess it is based on where one is coming from and or grew up. To me? I think crime is out of control here. Even some of the richest areas of Charlotte have crime, especially car theft, car damage. But, I'm from a small farm town that had almost no crime ever, so yeah, I think Charlotte has a problem, they ended up 8th on the crime list for the USA though they are only 15th in size.

I say, just watch yourself, and be aware of your surroundings. I personally would never go to the mall by myself, and have to walk to my car by myself after dark here.

There's good neighborhoods, there's bad neighborhoods, but the crime, to me, seems to be spreading. It stuns me, as with the lastest big crime with two officers being executed by being shot in the head. That truly broke my heart.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It really is all relative Annie I personally find this weather very enjoyable, but then I was raised in a sub-tropic environment with percentages of humidity in the 80's and 90's.
I was raised in the snow belt. I LOVE CHARLOTTE's WEATHER !!! It's nice to have 4 seasons instead of Almost Winter, Winter, Almost Spring, 2 days of Summer (called orange barrel season) , then back to Almost Winter :-)

I love going to the pool when it's 90 out and staying warm. I hated going to the pool in the NE when it was maybe 75 if you were lucky.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
BrianH: I am glad that you and other citizens are concerned because awareness and concern can lead to activism and change. But I want to point out a couple of fun facts for you:

The articles about specific crimes that you cited early in this thread had a couple of common denominators: (1) low-income housing and (2) in the Charlotte rape/robbery case it was an area that has been struggling with an influx of Hispanic immigrants who are targets of crime because they rarely call the police. These types of areas of the city (low-income, largely hispanic) are, unfortunately, where much of of crime happens. And the police are working very hard with these communities to turn this trend around.

There is statistically very little random violent crime in Charlotte-metro.

Finally, I'd like to point out that South Carolina was just this week rated the 8th most dangerous STATE in the nation. Yet, statistically, the majority of crime in South Carolina is not random violence either, but murders of people who knew their attackers (mainly domestic violence and drug deals).

As someone who once worked in Charlotte news, let me tell you this: "if it bleeds, it leads." So you will hear about every crime, unfortunately, on the news ad nauseum because that's what people tune in for. I personally think that the Charlotte media (of which I was a part) blows the crime scene out of proportion because it snags viewers and keeps them tuned in past the first break. That is why national news is not seen on your local newscast until the second or even third block during a half-hour newscast-- it does not snag and keep viewers. Don't let the media skew your view of reality....you'll do yourself a disservice.

We must stand back and look at the big picture before rushing to judgement on the crime in Charlotte.
But....let me ask you this. If you were from out of State, or just from another town in NC, what kind of research would you do to find out proper reporting of crimes?

I don't currently live in Charlotte, I live in Concord as Brian does, however I do have to move to Charlotte in the fall, simply because my employer is moving even farther South in Charlotte, and I can no longer justify an hour or more commute either way.

So what do I do? I read the police blotter, I watch the news, that's the only way I know how at this point to make a decision. I can not afford to live in Ballantyne, so, where do I go? Everytime I mention a place, people at work, OH NO stay away from that area. So how does one find affordable rentals in a good area of Charlotte? How do I determine where "safe" is? I don't want to live in the surrounding communities like Huntersville, or Mint Hill, I want to be able to live where I work.

You have any suggestions to help me by any chance? I'd be greatful.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:57 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
But....let me ask you this. If you were from out of State, or just from another town in NC, what kind of research would you do to find out proper reporting of crimes?

I don't currently live in Charlotte, I live in Concord as Brian does, however I do have to move to Charlotte in the fall, simply because my employer is moving even farther South in Charlotte, and I can no longer justify an hour or more commute either way.

So what do I do? I read the police blotter, I watch the news, that's the only way I know how at this point to make a decision. I can not afford to live in Ballantyne, so, where do I go? Everytime I mention a place, people at work, OH NO stay away from that area. So how does one find affordable rentals in a good area of Charlotte? How do I determine where "safe" is? I don't want to live in the surrounding communities like Huntersville, or Mint Hill, I want to be able to live where I work.

You have any suggestions to help me by any chance? I'd be greatful.

Ballantyne has no crime? I should have moved down that way.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:45 PM

14 posts, read 78,089 times
lol thats nothing compared to south florida i used to live in Miami springs which is next to a jail, liberty city, and Hialeah so that area isn't bad

Old 05-15-2007, 03:10 PM

99 posts, read 522,275 times
I think Brian has always been so good to provide information, that I am kinda liking his posts. I have seen for the past few months that he believes in healthy discussion too. BTW about Crimes in Charlotte, its like any other normal growing big city. That cant be a reason not to come here because its not as bad.
Places on N Tryon near WT harris and south are not supposed to be safe but rest of the places seem ok. On north side, Mallard Creek church is also quite safe on Tryon.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:16 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownmia View Post
lol thats nothing compared to south florida i used to live in Miami springs which is next to a jail, liberty city, and Hialeah so that area isn't bad
and the jail was the safest off those 3!!!!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd83 View Post
I walked in many different parts of the city when I was there about a month ago during the day and night and felt safe everywhere I went except up north tryon headed towards university area..then again I was in my car during that part so I still felt safe enough. Remember..if the areas bad..act normal like you belong there..if you act all shook or touristy you have a much higher risk of being victimized...no matter what city or town you are in. Just mind your business..dont look at anybody..be aware of your surroundings..and move confidently with strong conviction like you have somewhere to go haha. Crime is everywhere you just gotta man up and figure out where to avoid if thats a problem for you.
I wouldn't walk ANYWHERE on the East side or the West side.
I drive Eastway every day to work, and my doors are locked and stay that way. You are correct crime is everywhere, but it is prevalent in certain areas of every town. I always thought it was why so many people in Charlotte are fleeing to York and Union counties.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I wouldn't walk ANYWHERE on the East side or the West side.
I drive Eastway every day to work, and my doors are locked and stay that way. You are correct crime is everywhere, but it is prevalent in certain areas of every town. I always thought it was why so many people in Charlotte are fleeing to York and Union counties.
Plenty of us live in south Charlotte, only 6 to 8 miles from uptown and I don't see anybody fleeing around here! Most of us consider ourselves extremely fortunate to live this close in with a decent commute to uptown and nice established yards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte