U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2007, 10:38 AM
 
1,163 posts, read 1,960,681 times
Reputation: 1106

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
I can't argue with people significantly less intelligent than me so I have nothing more to say on the matter. If you want to use your skewed stats to scare people, fine. But when broken down by area and when you look at how much crime is drug related and domestic in nature you will see that not only are you WRONG but you owe everyone on here an apology.
Personal attacks, drama, and arrogance!

While it makes for entertaining reading, it's a poor foundation for an argument. Also, your credibility just committed suicide.

Thanks for playing!

 
Old 10-27-2007, 01:56 PM
 
1,163 posts, read 1,960,681 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
But when broken down by area and when you look at how much crime is drug related and domestic in nature you will see that not only are you WRONG but you owe everyone on here an apology.
The table below contains the crime stats for the city of Charlotte broken down by zip code. I added the population of each zip code. Breaking the city down by area only reinforces what I've posted before: Charlotte is a high crime city with few exceptions. Several categories can't be explained by mindlessly chanting "drug related" or "domestic."

I added the population column so you can see that the vast majority of people living in Charlotte live in a very high crime city.

Also, I've added a separate table comparing the Charlotte to the 2 largest cities in the Untied States. Both are generally regarded as "high crime." Both also have drug, gang, and domestic crime. These issues certainly are not unique to Charlotte. Review this table. The comparison may surprise you.

Given this information, I should demand an apology from you!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/electricgrin/crime.jpg (broken link)

Source: Cartus.com (login required)
 
Old 10-27-2007, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Reputation: 39845
"the vast majority of people living in Charlotte live in a very high crime city"

Oh good grief...numbers can always be skewered to produce the desired outcome - which is why numbers don't tell the whole picture on anything. This is a much more involved issue than you are trying to lead people to believe.

I would love to know how I have managed to live here over 20 years, in the heart of the city, and not be a victim of all this crime you say is all around us. (except for that new grill of mine some construction workers walked off with about 10 years ago).

I'm just curious, why the ax to grind?
 
Old 10-27-2007, 03:10 PM
 
1,163 posts, read 1,960,681 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
"the vast majority of people living in Charlotte live in a very high crime city"

Oh good grief...numbers can always be skewered to produce the desired outcome - which is why numbers don't tell the whole picture on anything. This is a much more involved issue than you are trying to lead people to believe.

I would love to know how I have managed to live here over 20 years, in the heart of the city, and not be a victim of all this crime you say is all around us. (except for that new grill of mine some construction workers walked off with about 10 years ago).

I'm just curious, why the ax to grind?
I have no ax to grind. I just prefer the truth. I love this area and truly wish the crime was more in-check.

I didn't start this thread. I am just offering the opposing view. Mine just happens to be on the same side as data, statistics, reality, and truth. I've yet to see anyone produce any relevant data to support their claims of low crime and high public safety in Charlotte. Let's see some.

The personal experiences of a few people do not negate the statistics. Not everyone will experience crime. I've never claimed that and would be a fool to do so. Not everyone exposed to the flu with catch it either. The people that don't get the flu would sound pretty stupid for getting on the internet and proclaiming the flu to be a non-issue because they haven't personally experienced the flu. That said, I'm very happy for your luck regarding crime in Charlotte. I know a guy who's been in Charlotte for less than 10% of the time you have and has already had his car stolen! I've read many stories on this forum about other people who have experienced crime. However, no small collection of personal accounts (positive or negative) means as much as the data.
 
Old 10-27-2007, 03:16 PM
 
1,163 posts, read 1,960,681 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Oh good grief...numbers can always be skewered to produce the desired outcome - which is why numbers don't tell the whole picture on anything. This is a much more involved issue than you are trying to lead people to believe.
I skewed nothing.

Please enlighten us on the proper processes, protocol, and conclusions for analyzing crime in Charlotte. Obviously, the methods used in the rest of the U.S. must not apply...
 
Old 10-27-2007, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Wherever it is, I am sure it is cosmopolitan
674 posts, read 604,468 times
Reputation: 138
Well, first you could do what I have been FREAKING SAYING this WHOLE thread and show us how much of those numbers are
- Domestic in nature or the perp was a relative or aquaintance of the vicitm;
- Drug related;
- Black on black crime;
- Random, violent crime.

Any Charlotte cop will tell you the vast majority of the area's crime falls into the above categories.

For the love of god, you are skewing the numbers. Admit it and embrace it.

Boo-hoo, someone took a rep point because I am "arrogant." Like I care, buddy. Until rep points turn into dollars in my pocket you can have 'em all. I stand strong on my opinions. Newcomers should not be scared off by people who are not that enlightened trying to tell them the sky is falling.
 
Old 10-27-2007, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Steele Creek, Charlotte, NC
1,399 posts, read 1,704,528 times
Reputation: 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Boo-hoo, someone took a rep point because I am "arrogant."
I just added it back.
 
Old 10-27-2007, 03:30 PM
 
755 posts, read 2,242,082 times
Reputation: 321
My husband and I were crime victims during our 14 years in Charlotte more than either of us had been previously in our lives. I had previously lived in Alexandria, VA (DC area) and Charleston, SC. He had lived in Columbus, Birmingham, Minneapolis, Chicago and Charleston. We were victims of car theft, home break-in, arson, and vandalism while living in Charlotte.

Charlotte has a growing crime problem in part because criminals who are arrested are let out over and over again. Eric Lester Jones had been arrested seven times in Mecklenburg county since February for armed robbery before he shot at a Lincoln County paramedic while robbing a CVS there. What was he doing on the street?

The District Attorney's office has the capacity to try 12 - that's right, 12 - murder suspects a year. On last count, there were 144 murder suspects awaiting trial in the Mecklenburg County jail. That leads to a slew of plea bargains that results in alarmingly low sentences (including probation) for felonies committed in Mecklenburg County.

The Mayor led a caravan up to Raleigh last Spring to basically beg for more state funds to help the problem, and got the funds to hire six more prosecutors. Unfortunately, we really need 15 to 20 more than that.
 
Old 10-27-2007, 03:33 PM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,829,143 times
Reputation: 23216
Yes, crime is terrible, so I think everybody should move somewhere else. Ha! Ha! It is a lot worse than it used to be, but I have never seen an area in Charlotte that I did not feel safe driving through in a late model car that had plenty of gas and the doors were all locked. We accidently ended up in a place in Tampa, Florida, that we did not feel safe driving through in the same late model car and unfortunately we were about out of gas. We found a gas station and a map and got out of there.

Crime is crime, whether it is domestic or drug related. I would say that crime is Charlotte's number one problem that needs to be addressed and I personally would start by getting officials born in North Carolina. We are becoming like other crime infested cities because we have gone elsewhere to hire people who think like the mindset that caused those other cities to be like that. Police need to be able to do their jobs. If I lived in Charlotte, I would be calling the mayor and suggesting there needs to be a change.

Last edited by NCN; 10-27-2007 at 03:54 PM..
 
Old 10-27-2007, 03:44 PM
 
755 posts, read 2,242,082 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Well, first you could do what I have been FREAKING SAYING this WHOLE thread and show us how much of those numbers are
- Domestic in nature or the perp was a relative or aquaintance of the vicitm;
- Drug related;
- Black on black crime;
- Random, violent crime.
Actually, since this is your argument, then it is up to you to prove your own point. Simply do the research, as amploud has done, that bolsters your argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:44 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top