U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:58 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,423,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
kmway, great post. My argument, the one that gets lost in the emotion, is that crime is still on the increase. It's an awfully difficult snowball to stop (Camden, Newark, etc..). The Star Ledger in New Jersey had run an article a few years back about the effect that gangs were having in suburban areas. Many suburban area police are not properly trained, nor staffed, to handle gang violence. It had started coming into towns suburban towns with gangs coming 20-30 or more miles away. And these are gangs like the Latin Kings, the Bloods, the Crips, hispanic gangs. They were looking to nip it in the bud, yet had agreed that it's a hard thing to stop once it gets rolling. So when you mention hispanic gangs, then it adds a bit to my point about the snowball that becomes increasingly difficult to stop.
Yeah, I hear you. I lived in the west where gang activity got out of control. I'll give the City this pat on the back: I feel that the mayor and others truly do care about nipping this problem in the bud before it proliferates. I hope they succeed, and they really seem dedicated to putting money and resources toward this effort. So that makes me feel better about our future in the area of crime.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:12 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,276,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Thanks, lovesmountains, for your post. Great points.

And Brian, with respect, I don't see the point you were making with the crime stats you posted. The reports clearly show that with the exception of homicide and larceny, every other category of crime including: rape, burglary, aggrivated assault, vehicle theft and robbery were all down over the same time last year. Also, the homicides were generally (again, sorry to be repetitive), not random killings. Unfortunately, we have had gang related (just this week, infact) and domestic killings this year in the metro-area.
The charts comparing 2005-2006 on that .pdf file show homicide down 2.4 but rape up at 7.1%, robberty down 12.1% (that's a nifty little drop), aggravated assault up half a percent, res. burglary up 10.8%, com. burglary down 2.4, larceny (already sky high) up 5.4%, vehicle theft up 0.7, and arson up 7.8 percent. Those are year end stats. Six of the nine categories experienced some sort of an increase. I should look to see if any other yearly comparisons are around. Those are the numbers that should be paid the most attention to. You could have one month where the crime takes a dip compared to the previous year, yet rebound the following month.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:25 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Yeah, I hear you. I lived in the west where gang activity got out of control. I'll give the City this pat on the back: I feel that the mayor and others truly do care about nipping this problem in the bud before it proliferates. I hope they succeed, and they really seem dedicated to putting money and resources toward this effort. So that makes me feel better about our future in the area of crime.
Our police department is very proactive in addressing the issue of gangs - and they make no secret of the attempts some are making to get footholds in this city. The Gang of One interdiction unit which works to intervene in young at risk kids lives is just one more proactive step police are taking. I am satisfied that this community is addressing these issues and will continue to do so

Old 03-24-2007, 08:50 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Our police department is very proactive in addressing the issue of gangs - and they make no secret of the attempts some are making to get footholds in this city. The Gang of One interdiction unit which works to intervene in young at risk kids lives is just one more proactive step police are taking. I am satisfied that this community is addressing these issues and will continue to do so
Just going by D.A.R.E. and M.A.D.D: while clearly well intentioned, have both proven to be very costly, yet ineffective organizations. Gang of One type programs are most likely there to try to cut an increasing gang problem at the knees before it gets worse. Although I'd love to be proven wrong, I wouldn't hold out much home for Gang of One either. Getting kids to stay clean from drugs or crime doesn't start from having them listen to authority, the same authority that many kids, particularly inner city, are brainwashed to not trust (especially with kids looking for acceptance from their peers). I'll just use this link..

http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/DrugIssue/Research/Teens_2005/Generation_Rx_Study_Confirms_Abuse_of_Prescription (broken link)

and this quote...

Quote:
Kids who learn a lot about the risks of drugs at home are up to 50 percent less likely to use drugs
...to make my point.

Whether it's drugs, alcohol or crime, kids are more likely to learn from an attentive parent. It's a far more effective, cheaper method than DARE, MADD, or Gang of One. Granted some kids just won't listen to their folks. If they won't listen to their folks they sure as heck aren't going to listen to authority either.

Just a side note, that link is a good read with a percentage of kids switching from illegal drugs to abusing legal prescription medicines for their high. So while the use of a drug like marijuana may be down, just look at the replacements.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 03-24-2007 at 09:33 PM..

Old 03-25-2007, 01:23 AM

70 posts, read 194,663 times
I posted something like this elsewhere. If you watch local news stations around here....you'll feel as if you moved into the wild west. But it's not that all the crime reported is in Charlotte and it's surrounding counties....they report up as far as counties on the VA state line...I mean they let you know about every mean SOB in the state!!! The news report includes such a broad area....it scares a newcomer at first.
Don't get discouraged. This area is beautiful and interesting and full of good, just remember after you sign to buy your house, make it your home. It took me over a year to realize it but the moment I did, I realized this area is an absolute gem. I still have issues that I would have in any other place...the trick for me to love it here is knowing it is my home now.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdei38 View Post
I posted something like this elsewhere. If you watch local news stations around here....you'll feel as if you moved into the wild west. But it's not that all the crime reported is in Charlotte and it's surrounding counties....they report up as far as counties on the VA state line...I mean they let you know about every mean SOB in the state!!! The news report includes such a broad area....it scares a newcomer at first.
Then just use the Mecklenburg county police links I posted in this thread.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:02 AM

478 posts, read 1,879,124 times
Quote:
Just going by D.A.R.E. and M.A.D.D: while clearly well intentioned, have both proven to be very costly, yet ineffective organizations. Gang of One type programs are most likely there to try to cut an increasing gang problem at the knees before it gets worse. Although I'd love to be proven wrong, I wouldn't hold out much home for Gang of One either.
I totally agree.

DARE and MADD made parents feel better that 'something is being done'. DARE, in particular, is a good example of a wretched American anti-drug programme.

We have a lot of problems with cannibis psychosis, dunno about the U.S. Cannibis is so different today compared with thirty years ago.

On the crime situation, I still do not have a good reason to explain the really high crime rates for Charlotte, I posted some time ago. I'm confused, not reassured except for the usual 'How to Stay Safe' recommendations.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Then just use the Mecklenburg county police links I posted in this thread.
You sound absolutely miserable here. I'm sorry about that.

Look, Charlotte is now larger in population than my hometown of Denver, CO. Denver had gang problems, and a general spike in crime in the 80s when it's population was around 1/2 million. I grew up learning to be aware of surroundings, as crime was everywhere because we lived in a city. It comes with being "city-fied".

But as lovesmountains said, we are satisfied with the job our PD is doing to be proactive. And frankly having someone bash, bash, bash our home city that we really love (seemingly without a lot of merit) is kind of frustrating, and scares newbies without really good cause. This is not Baltimore or DC-- we are a safe community of caring citizens with a few bad apples in some bad parts of town. Period.

I hope you find a smaller town that is more suited for you-- everyone deserves to be as happy with their surroundings as I and others on this board are with Charlotte. Good luck to you--

Old 03-25-2007, 10:09 AM

478 posts, read 1,879,124 times
I don't see Brian as 'bash, bash, bash'. I think that is misguided criticism toward him.

I sincerely hope that anonymous people on a message board saying generalised wonderful comments about a place would not be the deciding factor for someone to move there! Yikes.

If Brian posts links and facts, then intelligent people will take (or not!) the data and incorporate it into their informed decision to move to Charlotte/UC/York/wherever.

You really want a message board where posters are not permitted to post facts about a place? I don't.

I posted this a while ago, but I'm still confused on the poor ratings for Charlotte:

I've wondered about crime in Charlotte, too. When I look at Money Mag/CCN Best Places to Live 2006, Charlotte by comparison is worrisome.

For example, the 'Best Places' average for Personal Crime Risk is 45. 100 is national average, lower is better.

What is Charlotte? 214.

Property Crime Risk is 74 for Best Places average (again, 100 is nat'l average).
Charlotte? 209.

Personal crime incidents per 100,00: 228 is Best Places average, Charlotte is 1,077.

And Property Crime incidents are twice the Best Places average: Charlotte is 6,667, Best Places average is 3,105.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
I don't see Brian as 'bash, bash, bash'. I think that is misguided criticism toward him.

I sincerely hope that anonymous people on a message board saying generalised wonderful comments about a place would not be the deciding factor for someone to move there! Yikes.
I think Brian knows I did not mean to be overly critical of him. I have been understanding of his positions, and he has been understanding of mine. We simply disagree, and that's ok.

And yes, this forum does influence people a great deal in the way that our city is viewed. In fact, that is a major reason for the existence of this type of forum. So when I, as a recent member of the Charlotte media and a long-time resident, see negative comments that are IMHO overblown, especially in comparison to national stats of comparable cities and the proactive nature of our police force, I get concerned for how we are portraying ourselves to newbies. There are stats on both sides of the argument, and as someone who used to report those stats I can tell you first hand that often time the stats are not accurate, as mitigating factors are NOT figured in, nor reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or