U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:55 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,876,493 times

Advertisements

Ok so for those of you that have seen me posting lately, I'm in the midst of trying to sell my home in northern IL to move over here and join the hubbie who is currently working over the border in SC.

If you are trying to sell your home (either in CLT or outside trying to get in!), what types of incentives are you offering to get people to at least come visit your home?

We are thinking of doing a "signing bonus" of sorts for whoever refers a family who eventually buys our house.

What other ideas? As soon as I sell, watch out: I'm heading over to buy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 09:18 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Ok so for those of you that have seen me posting lately, I'm in the midst of trying to sell my home in northern IL to move over here and join the hubbie who is currently working over the border in SC.

If you are trying to sell your home (either in CLT or outside trying to get in!), what types of incentives are you offering to get people to at least come visit your home?

We are thinking of doing a "signing bonus" of sorts for whoever refers a family who eventually buys our house.

What other ideas? As soon as I sell, watch out: I'm heading over to buy

Someone I know offered a year's family membership to the YMCA as a buying incentive - the people who bought the house loved that

Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 AM

324 posts, read 653,323 times
I was thinking of offering maid service for a year or since we had an inground pool, we thought of pool service for a year. We have offered in the past a broker bonus. Once we offered our house at a "sale" price to anyone who could close before the school year started. To be honest, nothing worked in the past and when we sold our last house in Mooresville, we ultimately lowered the house price by another $40,000 and took a loss on the house to what we paid for it 18 months before!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 AM

96 posts, read 176,751 times
nothing sells a home better than a good price and patience, in my opinion. try home staging too, you see it on HGTV all the time and it seems to work pretty well

Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
If you can part w/ a flat screen TV . . . that is a nice incentive.

A bonus to the selling agent is a great way to get an agent to put your home on the list of those on the "must see" list, especially if you are in an area w/ a lot of homes wh/ are basically in the same price range and w/in a few miles of each other.

Help w/ closing costs often lights up buyers' eyes!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:49 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,782 times
Back in MD, a few examples of incentives people were using to sell their homes when I moved down included the following:

1 - Furnished media room (i.e. big screen TV with surround system - installed and included with the house). As a lot of people had such a set-up, they were basically leaving the TV and all equipment intact along with the remotes.

2 - Two airline tickets to any destination in the U.S.

3 - Orioles or Ravens tickets

4 - Offering to pay the property taxes and HOA fees for the first year.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:24 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,650,129 times
All those gimmicks do not work (and yes, they are gimmicks) except for lowering your price (#1) and/or offering closing costs.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:33 PM

7,106 posts, read 9,704,608 times
I have put (3) houses into contract in the past 5 weeks. All because of price range that I cater to, 100% renovations that an inspector can find no fault with, priced correctly for my market, help with closing costs, and now making potential buyers aware of incentives offered by this president along with the other programs that are available to people that don't have too much money.

Really doesn't seem to be a big problem when all of these things are align with the stars and the moon.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:29 PM

440 posts, read 1,008,064 times
If I saw something gimmicky the first thing I'd think about the house is what's wrong with it that they need a gimick? My second thought would be feeling like the owners were being cheap b/c instead of lowering the house to an appealing price they think I'm going to be fooled by something that's worth about $1,000 or so, compared to the price of a house it's practically insulting. I've owned a real estate co & sold real estate for 15 years & in my experience the main thing that sells a property is price. Think about it, you could have a terrible location but at the right price someone is going to buy it.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:33 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,650,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPie View Post
If I saw something gimmicky the first thing I'd think about the house is what's wrong with it that they need a gimick? My second thought would be feeling like the owners were being cheap b/c instead of lowering the house to an appealing price they think I'm going to be fooled by something that's worth about $1,000 or so, compared to the price of a house it's practically insulting. I've owned a real estate co & sold real estate for 15 years & in my experience the main thing that sells a property is price. Think about it, you could have a terrible location but at the right price someone is going to buy it.
The problem Chess Pie is that many people in this world are either naive, or are afraid to speak up and negotiate. They don't think like the way you presented it.

That's why gimmicks work for some fools......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte