U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:41 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,670,323 times

Advertisements

The front page of the Charlotte Observer today talked about all the growth in the Charlotte area. Here are are some interesting facts I thought Id post. These statistic are gathered from the time of July 2000 - July 2006

1. NC added 800,000 people, and the Charlotte area took in 300,000 of them.

2. Hottest region of the Carolinas are bedroom communities around Charlotte, the Triangle, and Myrtle beach.

3. Union county is the Nations 15th fastest growing county.

4. Union county grew by 42%, adding 52,000 people. Mecklenburg grew by 19%, adding 130,000 people.

5. Mecklenburg county granted 18,089 building permits in 2006, a record. Cornelius, in northern Mecklenburg county, passed a moratorium on most new residential development so that the city can keep up.

6. Union county officials say that a 17 cent property tax increase would be necessary over the next 4 year to keep up with new school construction.

7. The state is predicted to add 3 million more people by 2030, making NC the 12th most populous state.

8. NC grew by 10.1%, while SC grew by 7.7%.

9. Mecklenburg county counted 827,445 people in 2006, breaking the 800,000 mark for the first time ever.

10. Wake county is growing faster than Mecklenburg, and will surpass Mecklenburgs population by 2016.

11. In 13 rural NC counties, the population actually shrank.

NC Demographer Bill Tillman said that economic events could change everything, while most of the nations housing markets tanked, NC's continued to boom, "are we behind it or did we miss it?" he asked.

- Source Charlotte Observer. March, 22nd 2007 edition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 01:48 PM

297 posts, read 1,045,694 times
What new industries / businesses have opened to support this influx of people/ Please do not say that they are mostly retail or housing related, which I fear. I am really courious about the business names or percentage break downs by industries. If you have any hard data please post.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:51 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,670,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
What new industries / businesses have opened to support this influx of people/ Please do not say that they are mostly retail or housing related, which I fear. I am really courious about the business names or percentage break downs by industries. If you have any hard data please post.
Off the top of my head banking comes to mind, as well as the Lowes Corp. headquartered in Mooresville. Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable on that subject will speak up.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:58 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,120,818 times
Well there are many places look at the Hospitals/Dr offices. In N. Meck you have the Huntersville business park that has to many names to list. Cornelius has a commercial District. You have mom and pop businesses.

I think the economy is sound. This is just my personal opinion!

Old 03-22-2007, 02:02 PM

227 posts, read 221,328 times
not sure about "new" but..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte%2C_nc#Economy

Old 03-22-2007, 02:19 PM

Isn't Lowes home related. I believe if you check the recent market data on them they are doing poorly. Not sure this is a plus for the area as market may get weaker according to the article.

Lowe's says mortgage woes could affect some markets
http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/070313/lowes_ceo.html?.v=1 (broken link)
Lowe's 4Q Profit Drops 11.5 Percent
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070223/earns_lowe_s.html?.v=25 (broken link)

As far as the banks go, that is a tough one as quit a few people at banks are transfers from other areas and not new US jobs. Also, we have the issues. Subprime is almost stone cold and just had congressional hearing today. The effects are spilling into the lower margin alt A market and prime markets. This will likely affect the banks and mortgage companies with consolidations in the banks and closures mortgage co's. As you are aware over 40 mortgage lenders have folded this year alone. After all what is the need to have extra people and facilites in a declining market/ industry. Then there is the question of who holds the mortgage secured bonds, think banks, hedge funds and 401K's.

Subprime Meltdown Snares Borrowers With Better Credit (Update3)
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...LKU&refer=news
Citigroup Won't Replace Employees Who Leave the Bank (Update2)
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...&refer=finance

Lets hope there are a few industries with substanial numbers of people in that are in the area or coming that are not housing and bank/mortgage related.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:30 PM

You might want to look at those business parks and notice how many businesses are related to realty, mortgages, builders, home insurance, general construction or EMPTY. Want an eye opener, think about the office buildings off 485 between Johnson and Ray rd. That alone is a couple of million square feet housing mostly those listed above. A slow down in the ablity to achieve mortgages or decrease in construction will quickly affect all of these industries. The slow down does not need to happen just in this area as many companies will conslidate thoroughout the US as a whole. Remember the the bank consolidation and buyouts a few years ago and how it affected Charlotte and the northeast.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:36 PM

116 posts, read 384,483 times
[quote=Carolina_native;485163]

7. The state is predicted to add 3 million more people by 2030, making NC the 12th most populous state.

I think this must be a misprint. NC is already the 10th most populous state in the nation. What I read was that by 2030 the population will be 12 million, not the the state would be ranked 12th.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:37 PM

I honestly think growth of a community is a great thing when done properly. But, moving people here without a means for them to sustain themselves is troubling.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:44 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,998,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
...But, moving people here without a means for them to sustain themselves is troubling.
What do you mean “moving people here”? "Who" is moving people here?

A city is a place, nothing more. What I’m reading from you is that you are “venting” your personal frustrations and taking it out on Charlotte as if Charlotte is a person. No official representative from this area said to anyone on this board, “Come on down to Charlotte, we’ve got a job for you and a better standard of living.” Some headhunter may have, some job recruiter may have. But the “city” didn’t say that. I said it once, and I’ll say it again, people read the data about jobs and the standard of living and they make up their own minds. There is no “trickery” going on. That’s ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or