U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,006,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That's an easy one my friend School teams can only accomadate so many kids per team - there are usually MANY more kids who want to play a sport than the school sports teams can handle. The sports leagues around town do a great job of making sure everyone has a place to play - WHICH IS HOW IT SHOULD BE.

EVERY child benefits from being on a sports team - anyone who does not understand that is really uninformed as to the reality of what sports can do for a kid (and you know I don't mean you my dear!)
Then I'm in favor of community sports/music/art/whatever...get the focus back on the basics for schools. But, when we have 30% drop out rate in this country (some cities are 50%!!!), not to mention the huge numbers of kids who do manage to graduate but still can't read, write or do math, it's kind of hard to justify spending school time and money on sports.

As for the latter sentiment....I'm not so sure about that. One of my kids really didn't get anything out of being involved in sports other than confirming that he had no desire for sports whatsoever.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:30 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,866,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Does anyone know what costs are associated with sports? Are they really that expensive. If so, why? Don't kids just need a ball and some grass for most sports?
Well, you'd think that, unless you've actually tried to field a team. Years ago, I was team mom for a soccer team that wanted to move to "travel" status. So, you start looking for some grass to practice on...way more players than there is actually "grass" available. Leagues already have all county parks reserved. So, you join a league - membership fee (to cover the cost of seed, fertilizer, mowing, lights (because there is only so much daylight available in the fall), insurance (because someone will sue if an accident occurs), officiating (because those refs like to be paid for the abuse they take), etc. Then, you need a uniform, and shoes, socks, shin guards, mouthguard, and then you'll need a physical exam before you can play. And, if you play on a "travel" team, it will cost you gas to get there (and occasionally a hotel for tournaments). Now, in that instance, this was a community league (not a school league), and ALL of that had to come out of the parent's pockets. For the school teams, ALL of that has to come out of the booster club/parent's pockets. I don't think anything, beyond the initial facility, is provided by the school system. I appreciate that not all school systems provide the same things, but I think nitpicking team sports is not where we are going to find the big bucks to fund our schools. And, if anyone has filled out a college application or scholarship application lately, sports is the VERY thing they ask about the most - what were you extracurriculars? what makes you well-rounded. Any program, academic or athletic, is only as good as the support and volunteerism provided by those participating.

Sometimes, when I hear folks griping and complaining about "schools today," I wonder when was the last time they actually set foot in one. There is an awful lot RIGHT about our schools, from my perspective...but, then, I'm up-close-and-personal with the schools these days. Some amazing things, like the Union County Performance Ensemble's production of the Wizard of Oz that I attended a couple of weekends ago. Sets, painted by art students, music, provided by the band, singers, provided by the choral dept, and amazing actors, provided by the drama dept. If you have a student at Marvin Ridge HS, you know what I mean, but you can set your watch by the principal's Sunday night phone call - giving you an update of all that happened the week before (all the teams' - academic and athletic - successes), and all that is coming in the next week. Makes me tired just listening to it...LOL, but it also let's me know that there are an awful lot of really dedicated educators working for the good of, not just my student but, all of the students in my community. Sure gives me hope that our future is in good hands.

So, I would like all the dedicated educators to know that I appreciate them, I support them, and I'll be standing beside them to help them through the lean days ahead. All of us know there is only so much money to go around, but teachers, of all people, know best how to make a little bit go a long way. Personally, I think teachers could do with a lot less "supervision" from the high-paid administrators in Central Office. If someone has to go, I say, start there. Just my two-cents. (Getting off my soapbox, now).

Old 03-11-2009, 03:13 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,664,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You bring up EXCELLENT points! And I wish to add that if I were in charge of things (Superintendent for a Day!!!!) there would be Yoga and Tai Chi wh/ the whole school could join in and count as PE. And what a helpful lifelong skill this would be!!! And what about dance? And I don't mean - ballet (altho that would be great). I mean - Latin Dances, Hip Hop, whatever!!!!

We are too oriented to putting kids in boxes w/ sports that are only geared towards WINNING!!!! The goal should be HEALTH!

Okay - I could go off on a rant here . . . but won't. And I suspect there would hardly be one parent who wouldn't agree with me that such things as Yoga and Tai Chi and dancing would be a wonderful way to keep their kids active and excited about physical activity at school!
ani - I heartily concur! I hated PE when I was in school! I was the smart-kid bookworm and had relatively little athletic skills and even less interest -kind of like "Sheldon" on The Big Bang Theory. I was one of the last kids to be picked for teams and really didn't care. I would have rather learned Yoga or did some individual exercises rather than the team sports thing. I hated wearing the stupid white tee-shirts and white gym shorts. The girls had to wear those blue outfits which I would charitably describe as a full-body sunsuits! But being the brainy type, I worked the system. It seems your PE grade was greatly influenced by making sure you had your little white outfit and the requisite sneekers. The more you forgot them, the lower your grade. I never forgot and one year in high school, I had 8th period gym class. Well, I'd get dressed and marked as being "present", then they'd all go outside and play whatever, while I got dressed and went home! I got an "A" for all five marking periods!

Old 03-11-2009, 03:30 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,271,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We are too oriented to putting kids in boxes w/ sports that are only geared towards WINNING!!!! The goal should be HEALTH!

One of the rare times we disagree.

I remember a few years back seeing a YES Network Centerstage interview with George Steinbrenner. They asked him what he thought about these schools who either don't keep score or simply have no winners and losers. He thought it was wrong because the whole idea of life is winning...succeeding, setting a goal whether it be in sports, business, or anywhere and reaching it. Not winning just means you learn to lick your wounds, get back on the horse, and start reaching to win again. That while how you play the game is important, the whole idea is to win. Love him or hate him, that's the kind of spirit you wish you could see in a lot of people.

Now you could say that a person has his or her whole life to experience losing. However I think you'd rather have them experience losing on that kind of lower level as opposed to really experiencing it when it really matters in life. Sports is a fantastic way of teaching that attribute...how to get back on the horse and gain the will to succeed, no matter what it is that you do.

Health is just a natural byproduct of sporting activity. That just goes hand in hand and should pretty much be met by any serious athlete on any level.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,460,862 times
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u172/iwananashaya/smiley kecil/cop.gif (broken link)

Due to this thread is now dated I appreciate all those who contributed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or