Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:21 PM

393 posts, read 1,182,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Losing your job sucks. 2009 is going to suck.. What are your suggestions for improving it?
Vote Republican.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:32 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,155,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uber_bwnage View Post
Vote Republican.
It's a little late for that right now . . .

Old 03-10-2009, 01:32 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,033,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
You are putting down this rally and it shows you are not ok with this. How does this rally affect you? Why does it bother you so much?

Let's continue to shut our mouths so every penny we worked for gets stolen from us. And then on top of that, we'll continue to allow them to continue their asinine policies just because we decided to do nothing about it.
So you think this rally is to protest the policies and overall budget problems found in this and nearly every other school district?

I'll ask my question again. Why now? Why not years ago when it became clear that more money and policies do not produce a better product? Why not years ago when the policies were put in place? Why not when it was realized that these policies punish the brightest and lower the standards for all and help to drive away good teachers? Why only now, when teachers will lose their jobs? It would help if someone would admit that it has nothing to do with the children at all. It hasn't had anything to do with the kids in a VERY long time which is why there are some not-so-supportive responses to OP's request to show up and rally.
I'd like to rally alright, but it would be just as much against the teachers who have been sittng (relatively) silent while our education system has declined and only call for rallies to save their own jobs!!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:35 PM

Well, Bandi . . . schools get FEDERAL money for athletics.

The problem goes back to accepting federal dollars at the local level. Educate our children w/in the budgets we can come up with for funding. If that means no hot lunches, then fine. No hot lunches.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
So you think this rally is to protest the policies and overall budget problems found in this and nearly every other school district?

I'll ask my question again. Why now? Why not years ago when it became clear that more money and policies do not produce a better product? Why not years ago when the policies were put in place? Why not when it was realized that these policies punish the brightest and lower the standards for all and help to drive away good teachers? Why only now, when teachers will lose their jobs? It would help if someone would admit that it has nothing to do with the children at all. It hasn't had anything to do with the kids in a VERY long time which is why there are some not-so-supportive responses to OP's request to show up and rally.
I'd like to rally alright, but it would be just as much against the teachers who have been sittng (relatively) silent while our education system has declined and only call for rallies to save their own jobs!!
People never scream until it affects their pockets. This is true for the vast majority of people all over the planet.

Rallies and marches only get attention when some sort of PR spin can be put on it in a way that makes people feel part of the "cause." Teachers teach our kids, so . . . the attention gets shifted to our kids and their futures.

It really is no different than newcomers arriving here b/c they wanted lower taxes, and then complaining that the schools are not "up to snuff" when compared to those where they lived. No one stops to think that paying double or triple or quadruple the taxes is WHY they had better schools, Hee Hee Hee.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:47 PM

75 posts, read 217,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It really is no different than newcomers arriving here b/c they wanted lower taxes, and then complaining that the schools are not "up to snuff" when compared to those where they lived. No one stops to think that paying double or triple or quadruple the taxes is WHY they had better schools,
Yep!

So very true...

Old 03-10-2009, 02:02 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,033,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
People never scream until it affects their pockets. This is true for the vast majority of people all over the planet.

Rallies and marches only get attention when some sort of PR spin can be put on it in a way that makes people feel part of the "cause." Teachers teach our kids, so . . . the attention gets shifted to our kids and their futures.

It really is no different than newcomers arriving here b/c they wanted lower taxes, and then complaining that the schools are not "up to snuff" when compared to those where they lived. No one stops to think that paying double or triple or quadruple the taxes is WHY they had better schools, Hee Hee Hee.
Oh, I understand it, I'd just like to hear a teacher actually admit it is all about them and not the children (but I'm not holding my breath).

Just like the complaints about NCLB. If it's sooooo bad why do schools take the money and then complain about having to comply? It seems easy enough to me...stop accepting the funding and scrap NCLB...but they won't do it because it isn't about what is best for the students at all.

It's really frustrating as a parent and a tax payer. I too went to schools that were by today's standards 'underfunded' and we all did pretty well. We were in a rural area and so had busing and we did have a teacher aide. Yup, one teacher aide for the ENTIRE school and she also did paperwork in the office and served as school nurse (mostly watching to see that we didn't stick the thermometer in the radiator...LOL) and she was the recess monitor as well. We all graduated and probably could outperform the NCLB standards today.

Oh, and once when the school bus ran into a ditch we had to walk the last 3 miles to school, in the snow.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:27 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,198,706 times
Quote:
There are plenty of suggestions out there, just no one listens to them because everyone is brainwashed by the MSM (mainstream media). If CNN told us 2+2 = 5, we'd all believe it.

Read Dr. Michael Hudson, Google Mish and read his blog. Even read posts on the Business forum here (especially by user gwynedd1).
There ARE solutions, we just have a government that is a plutocracy right now.
There are solutions just from reading a history book and seeing what others did for a monetary system.
The world needs to pick up a history book and economics book. Until we all realize what is going on, then this nonsense in our lives will continue.
I am trying to look at this thing in a positive lite. No one has answered, what are they protesting? What do they want CMS to do? Not layoff 500 people? Thats a simple answer, what is their solution for CMS to find the money to pay them? I don't want past generic high level proposals, I want to see an alterative plan where these 500 people can stay. Example: Give all teachers 10% less pay, the 500 can stay. I don't think that works, they already get paid too little. Increase property taxes by 5%, this would take time, and people already can't afford their homes. Slash all athletic budgets.. hmmm, that effects the kids, but might work. Layoff every other principal and have them manage 2 schools?

Old 03-10-2009, 02:54 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,357,288 times
Quote:
You are putting down this rally and it shows you are not ok with this. How does this rally affect you? Why does it bother you so much?

Let's continue to shut our mouths so every penny we worked for gets stolen from us. And then on top of that, we'll continue to allow them to continue their asinine policies just because we decided to do nothing about it.

Sheenie, I could care less what they do with their little rally. If they want to waste their time that's fine. It's up to them. To call upon others to stand beside them when those same people could be losing their jobs as well, with all due respect...screw that. What I'm also against is this sense of entitlement for all teachers that their profession is above all and therefore should be recession proof.

As far as your "every penny we worked for gets stolen from us", what are we going to do? Have a Bob Marley style Uprising (always loved that album)? What menace do we overthrow? How do we overthrow it?

Lemme guess...you won't step foot anywhere Starbucks too, won't ya

Not to mention that point deviates from the original point which was this march.

The best points made on this came directly from the source with mathman09's post and I couldn't agree more. Sheenie, I ask you this: what's wrong with his suggestion of trimming the fat by eliminating less than standard teachers?

Old 03-10-2009, 03:24 PM

841 posts, read 1,423,830 times
EDIT: Nevermind. I'm tired of beating a dead horse.

Last edited by lowercountry; 03-10-2009 at 03:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte