U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:27 AM

852 posts, read 2,214,696 times

Advertisements

My goodness what a miserable bunch you are. Hey why don't you all suggest that children go to school from say 5:30am to 5:30pm. Get some learning in. "It's what we did in our day and look at us now, no harm done". Oh please it's just made you all miserable. Sports is important to kids. It's a release for goodness sake and a chance to perhaps shine, or represent one's school. No things are not what they were in your day, some things are better, some things are worse but there has to be some fun. Yes I agree there is a lot of money spent on "certain" sports at schools (bear in mind that it's only from 7th grade on) and the cheaper sports like soccer, rugby, track are not funded well (if at all). Football is probably the most expensive sport and that's the one team that each school wants.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:38 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
My goodness what a miserable bunch you are. Hey why don't you all suggest that children go to school from say 5:30am to 5:30pm. Get some learning in. "It's what we did in our day and look at us now, no harm done". Oh please it's just made you all miserable. Sports is important to kids. It's a release for goodness sake and a chance to perhaps shine, or represent one's school. No things are not what they were in your day, some things are better, some things are worse but there has to be some fun. Yes I agree there is a lot of money spent on "certain" sports at schools (bear in mind that it's only from 7th grade on) and the cheaper sports like soccer, rugby, track are not funded well (if at all). Football is probably the most expensive sport and that's the one team that each school wants.
Well, you know what? My son has a Korean exchange student living with him this year. In Korea, she goes to school from 8 am to 10 pm 6 days a week. Since having been here with the shorter school days, her grades have plummeted and she has grow more and more lazy. When she first got here, she was excelling in school despite the fact that she was learning in a second language that she did not even speak/understand well. She was also learning piano/flute at the same time and was light years ahead of the kids in the charter school that she attends down in Monroe. That tells you something right there. Her parents are most disappointed in her right now and very disappointed in her year in America. She may even go home early because of it. Is it any wonder that other countries are so far ahead of us???

Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, you know what? My son has a Korean exchange student living with him this year. In Korea, she goes to school from 8 am to 10 pm 6 days a week. Since having been here with the shorter school days, her grades have plummeted and she has grow more and more lazy. When she first got here, she was excelling in school despite the fact that she was learning in a second language that she did not even speak/understand well. She was also learning piano/flute at the same time and was light years ahead of the kids in the charter school that she attends down in Monroe. That tells you something right there. Her parents are most disappointed in her right now and very disappointed in her year in America. She may even go home early because of it. Is it any wonder that other countries are so far ahead of us???

It's the teaching style here that is archaic and the fact that a child can do a test here, get a "c" grade, redo the test and get an "a" grade and then the child believes that they actually got an "a" Most other countries in the world don't give you a second chance at a test. At least (and I know many will disagree) when a child is involved in sports they either win or lose. It helps them to realise that one can't always have another go at it.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 AM
QCP

185 posts, read 464,550 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I disagree completely. After all, playing a sport is simply giving license to a child to still play games long after game-playing time is ended. My oldest son played soccer and all he got out of it was a broken leg. I did not believe that he should be playing to begin with and I definitely do not believe that he should have wasted his time on this worthless activity. (he still limps because of it and he is 32!!) It did nothing for his work ethic; in fact made him lazier. Working at a job where there is a tangible result (money earned) and the prospect of loosing it if you don't work hard teaches you a lot more than playing about on a field. I have worked since I was 12, never had time for that kind of nonsense. My parents would never have allowed it (and were appalled that I allowed my son to do so) Work and education is what gets you ahead, not playing some silly game. Art & music appreciation are needed to expand cultures, but, there again, it should not interfere with a job.
I do not agree with this post at all. Sports are a vital part of the educational process. They can teach a child so many of life's important lessons. I personally would contribute most of my success to the work ethic and self-discipline that I learned while participating in sports.

As for your work and education gets you ahead comment, sure it does, but I would say sports plays a very important role in that equation. I was a good student, I worked part-time and I played 3 sports in high school. The end result, my grades got me into college, my job paid me $5/ hr and my dedication to football....paid for more than $90,000 of my college education. Not such a silly game, now was it?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCP View Post
I do not agree with this post at all. Sports are a vital part of the educational process. They can teach a child so many of life's important lessons. I personally would contribute most of my success to the work ethic and self-discipline that I learned while participating in sports.

As for your work and education gets you ahead comment, sure it does, but I would say sports plays a very important role in that equation. I was a good student, I worked part-time and I played 3 sports in high school. The end result, my grades got me into college, my job paid me $5/ hr and my dedication to football....paid for more than $90,000 of my college education. Not such a silly game, now was it?
I agree. I can't believe people think Sports don't add any value. Go to Texas and try and take away their football. I learned a lot playing sports and enjoyed myself. I also had asperations of a higher level. As someone else said, Drama, Choir, Band, etc, could go to, and they are in fact. in fact I would think more people would have a chance to play sports in college. Football in most places and basketball in many, actually support themselves. So thats not a save. and even so, I want sports, art, music as part of my childs education! If schools can't be run today on the same budget, then create bonds, raise taxes. Hey it's one of the things, like Roads, we are just going to have to pay for. We might not need new parks, discovery places, etc. Schools, Roads and Public Works.. hmm.. not going away.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:58 AM

414 posts, read 1,146,753 times
Quote:
After all, playing a sport is simply giving license to a child to still play games long after game-playing time is ended.

I have worked since I was 12, never had time for that kind of nonsense.
Hmmm........

I read your quotes........

Read your name..........

Read the quotes again.........

Give me a second....looking up "contradiction" in the dictionary....

Ahhhh.... here it is....

Old 03-11-2009, 11:02 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Well . . . if school sports are so terrific, why is it that there are so many leagues in this region which are totally separate from schools and have entrance fees and costs directly to parents?

Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,295 times
Ani, are you really saying they should stop sports at schools? I am disappointed. Education does not always come from books. I think this is where our students are starting to fail. They don't know how to interact with others. Team sports was an excellent way of dealing with this. This can also be accomplished with Band, Chess Club, Choir, etc. And if you remove sports, you would probably remove those as well. I am not saying Sports is for everyone, but why do those who didn't play look down on it so much, are they still bitter at all the jocks? I was not a "jock", but I enjoyed what I could play. I also enjoyed other clubs I was in. It's a total experience. School sports is a way to create a bonding experience, a rally point for students themseleves. A level of competition. Also helps booster clubs, cheerleading, dance squads, etc, please it allows for a more comprehensive mix of students (in most cases).

I would like to see a cost breakdown for some schools, see where they really are spending their money. Compare to other schools, etc. And the revenue those things bring in. How much are we paying for non-teaching positions now?

Comparing our education system to any system but other US systems does not make sense. You can't take one piece of the puzzle out. You have to look and see how it all fits. How their schools differ, their jobs, health systems, taxes, etc. We want certain luxaries, like time with our kids. Other countries have huge unemployment, suicide rates, have other classes. For the Cubs example (and I still give you a little credit, cause you are long suffering Cubs fan as well), why are the students grades failing? Are our classes harder, is it a fish out of water situation (many times it is), has she gotten complacent.

Our school system is not perfect, we have too big of classrooms, schools aren't in great condition, people are left behind, etc. But ya know what, we still turn out a lot of great students, especially when the parents are involved. I can't recall too many one on one instances in my school past 6th grade. In college I got very little, people still seem to do ok. We want better schools, teachers wat their jobs. Let's find ways to do it, but it is not an easy fix. So let's Rally for long term solutions!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:21 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,033,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well . . . if school sports are so terrific, why is it that there are so many leagues in this region which are totally separate from schools and have entrance fees and costs directly to parents?
+1

It is a thriving micro-economy to be honest.
I have two friends (separate businesses) who make good livings selling services to these leagues.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Because some of the sports are only available for part of the year. Soccer for instance (this year, I believe it changes) has HS boys soccer in fall, girls in spring. Now if you want to play soccer year around you have to be in another league. depending on your level will depend if you play year round or just recreational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or