Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:33 AM

62 posts, read 220,609 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are very interested in purchasing a house in Highland Creek, however after wandering around the property yesterday, we noticed that in the back of the property there is a LARGE Overhead Power Transmission line- does anyone have any info on the safety of these? I'm wondering if there are specific health concerns that we should be aware of...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 10:38 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,891,472 times
There are no health concerns documented or undocumented regarding these lines.

Unless it falls and one of your kids tries to jump rope with it, you should be fine.

That is a great neighborhood. Good luck--

EDIT: The studies in the Wikipedia article are debateable. People have been arguing about the risk for years.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:38 AM

26 posts, read 109,305 times
Electric power transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think as long as the noise doesn't bother you and are not planning on having kids...

Old 08-19-2007, 10:44 AM

3,250 posts, read 9,150,232 times
The only real problem is them falling down. Having them buried is a plus when you live in storm prone areas. That is the only issue I know.

If you are really, really worried, find another property. Liz

Old 08-19-2007, 12:47 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,645,220 times
Don't do it. Why take the chance of you or your children developing Leukemia in the future?

The people who say there's no harm in this are probably the same people who think its harmless to inject mercury in babies...

If you want to roll the dice, go right ahead...

Also, ever try to sell your house directly under or right near a HV transmission line?? Talk to the agents in that new over 55+ development (sun city), Let them tell ya what they think of resale values...lol)...

Last edited by CouponJack; 08-19-2007 at 01:03 PM..

Old 08-19-2007, 12:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,261,093 times
It really depends on the distance of the lines to the homes. I am assuming we are talking about the large metal transmission lines not ones hook to telephone poles.

Duke Power usually has a buffer zone of the property they own around the lines and this buffer zone allows enough distance not to worry about the lines falling and safe distance between the homes and the lines.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:13 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,202,578 times
Even "if" the power lines are harmless, which I personally question.....it sure isn't a pretty sight. And as far as resale value goes..I could see where it may be more difficult to sell a home in that situation. I wouldn't care to live where I'd be looking at them!!

Old 08-19-2007, 01:16 PM

199 posts, read 899,295 times
I wonder if this is what I saw. On my recent visit, I saw a neighborhood I really like. But there are these big tall steel or metal towers running through a field in the development. The towers look like pyramids and they are connected by cables or wires. I've been referring to them as power towers. Anyway, they're not visible from most of the homes because there are trees surrounding the field.

The subdivision is Overlook in Mountain Island Lake. Does anyone know if these towers have negatively impacted the homes there?

Old 08-19-2007, 01:23 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,645,220 times
[quote=trmaoy;1311950]. But there are these big tall steel or metal towers running through a field in the development. The towers look like pyramids and they are connected by cables or wires.
QUOTE]

You mean this?

http://www.betaengineering.com/img/areasexpertise/TransmissionLines.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-19-2007, 01:31 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,971,615 times
I don't know it there is a difference in power lines from state to state, but the house I grew up in had a powerline running within ten feet of our house, all the houses in the neighborhood in fact had them that close. My parents owned the house since it was new, lived in it for sixty years. I and my siblings have no health issues and my parents lived into there late eighties, both passed of heart failure. Just a FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte