U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:18 AM

74 posts, read 318,229 times

Advertisements

I have lived here just about 9 months now and am finally looking to do some landscaping. I have found several very specific plants I would like to incorporate into my yard, but seem to be having problems locating them (other than ordering them online).

Can anyone suggest a really good garden center in the area with a great selection of plants and shrubs that you may not find other places?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 AM

36 posts, read 66,891 times
I will enjoy reading the feedback you get on this thread as we are moving down by the Fall. I love to garden and will have to obviously learn a new climate. We are from Mass and I assume you are as well based on your login name. Just curious how you like it in NC compared to Mass. Are you glad you made the move and any insight would be great. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2009, 11:48 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,663,747 times
Default I really like...

Pike Creek in Ballantyne.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:00 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,725,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfrommass View Post
I have lived here just about 9 months now and am finally looking to do some landscaping. I have found several very specific plants I would like to incorporate into my yard, but seem to be having problems locating them (other than ordering them online).

Can anyone suggest a really good garden center in the area with a great selection of plants and shrubs that you may not find other places?

Thank you.
Are you looking for native plants? If not, that may be an issue. If you moved to NC from some place north, many of our plants don't handle the weather there well thus they don't sell them. Take Lilacs for example. They like the cold weather. There's now only 3 varieties that will grow in NC.

What plants are you looking for? You may not be in the right time of year to purchase them. Maybe a bit too early or for somethings like bulbs too late.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:23 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,225,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Are you looking for native plants? If not, that may be an issue. If you moved to NC from some place north, many of our plants don't handle the weather there well thus they don't sell them. Take Lilacs for example. They like the cold weather. There's now only 3 varieties that will grow in NC.

What plants are you looking for? You may not be in the right time of year to purchase them. Maybe a bit too early or for somethings like bulbs too late.
I wondered the same thing when I read that. Hopefully the OP will find some plants that are native or at least will grow well down here. I've had to learn all sorts of new plants since moving here. I do miss my lilacs, though!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:25 PM

393 posts, read 1,051,303 times
Stowe's Nursery in Gastonia.

Awesome selection...fair prices...service that can't be beat. They will do a landscape design for free...and they know what they are talking about.

Just take some pictures with you of your yard and let them go to work. You will be impressed. I was...

Old 03-10-2009, 01:50 PM

777 posts, read 2,273,844 times
For the biggest selection/best prices, Growers Outlet in Pineville. For great service, Southern Styles Nursery off of Rea Rd and Rountree Plantation Nursery off of Old Pineville Rd . For high priced, "designer plants", Pikes in Ballentyne.

All depends on what you are looking for. If you know exactly what you want and it is common, I go to growers outlet. If I need something a little less common or something that I might have a question on, I head to RoundTree or Southern Styles...both of which have some very knowledgable folks!

Old 03-10-2009, 04:03 PM

74 posts, read 318,229 times
Thank you all very much. I am becoming aware of what plants are able to do well in this area. The particular plant I am interested in, I had found on the website of Wayside Gardens, who is based in SC. But they are a 3 hour drive. I could order it, but would rather shop someone more local.

I plan to check out some of your suggestions. Thank you again.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:09 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,070,331 times
Growers Outlet in Pineville is nice.

313 N Polk St
Pineville, NC 28134
(704) 889-5025

Old 03-10-2009, 05:18 PM

21,900 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfrommass View Post
Thank you all very much. I am becoming aware of what plants are able to do well in this area. The particular plant I am interested in, I had found on the website of Wayside Gardens, who is based in SC. But they are a 3 hour drive. I could order it, but would rather shop someone more local.

I plan to check out some of your suggestions. Thank you again.
I ordered plants from Wayside Gardens many times & was 100% happy with them, when I was in South Jersey. Try calling the local places & if you can't find what you want, order it from Wayside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or