Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:54 AM

795 posts, read 4,537,353 times

Advertisements

sunny - town and country toyota on south blvd offers oil and filter changes for 19.95, and they have a very clean and reputable service department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 03:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,182,535 times
City Chevy constantly sends me coupons in the mail. The last one was $19.95 for oil & filter + tire rotation.

As far as the Camry, Scott Clark Toyota on 74 in Matthews has a deal on their website for $25.95 for 4 cylinder.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:46 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Stud View Post
I had a friend who had a timing chain/belt go at 100k miles on a 98 camry. Its kind of sad that once they go its the end of the life for the engine.
Was the timing belt replaced at the recommended mileage before breaking?

Old 03-13-2009, 12:04 PM

129 posts, read 404,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Was the timing belt replaced at the recommended mileage before breaking?

No it was not. I also thought too that those kind of things should be good for the life of the engine. I know the external timing belt that runs the water pump/alternator etc.... needs replaced at about every 50k but as far as the internal one i didnt think you would need to replace it.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:08 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 886,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Stud View Post
as far as the internal one i didn't think you would need to replace it.
Metal timing chains will usually last the life of the engine. Polymer timing belts need to be replaced around 80K or 100K miles.
Few cars are equipped with timing chains nowadays, because timing belts are less expensive.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:27 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
WOW. Can't believe how many people don't seem to know that the brand/type of oil is even more important than frequent changing. My father/grandfather were mechanics and always said that the brand/type of oil was similar to people's blood types. You should never change them. So, if you started out with Havoline (for example), you should always stick with Havoline for the life of the car. Jumping from shop to shop rarely gives you that. Some oil types are not as good as others. For example, Quaker State is filled with wax (have you ever seen an engine torn apart that was serviced with QS? You could make candles from the residue). For that reason, I never allow my Honda dealership to change my oil because they use Quaker State. Honda corporation recommends Castrol, but, you cannot find a Castrol oil change place here, so, I am with Havoline, another premium brand. Have to drive down to east Charlotte to get my oil changed, but, I intend to keep my car for at least as long as Sunny, if not longer.

Do some research, guys. Be careful about switching the oil brands. You don't want to lower the life of your engine!!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:47 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 886,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Can't believe how many people don't seem to know that the brand/type of oil is even more important than frequent changing.
With all due respect, I disagree. As long as your oil meets the car manufacturer's requirements (American Petroleum Institute's "SM" or "SL" for most newer cars), the brands should make no difference. Of course, one should avoid some of the more esoteric oil brands found at Dollar Store!

One thing I wouldn't recommend is switching back and forth between synthetic and regular oil, as I have heard that they affect gaskets differently and this could cause leaks if you switch back and forth.

I have used all kinds of oil brands in my cars since I usually buy whatever is on sale at the moment. My last 2 cars had respectively 180K and 210K miles, and were still running fine when I finally gave them away.

BTW - are you in the Faires Farm subdivision? I used to live on Magenta Ln in the mid-80s.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:31 AM

69 posts, read 347,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
Few cars are equipped with timing chains nowadays, because timing belts are less expensive.
That's why I love my Altima. Timing chain baby.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:34 PM

134 posts, read 286,231 times
Goodyear---- I get an employee discount so it totals $21 for an oil change, includes free tire rotation

Old 03-29-2009, 08:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
I ended up going to Meinke since they have been advertising this 19.95 special. I opted out on all the extras and free tire rotation due to I knew that would mean Im sitting there longer and I cant stand sitting in mechanic's waiting rooms. The next time Ill opt Walmart least there I can shop while I wait.
It only 30 minute job but I like to stay active in situations like that. Interesting replies in this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte