U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 12:16 PM

21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
She could be right...I just did a short lookup about it and it said the law was put on the books in '49 because lawmakers were afraid for everyday folk to handle "hazardous" materials.....is that true? I have no idea.....could union(s) played a part? now that I think about it, I wouldn't be shocked...
Jack, the oil companies tried to over-turn the law last year, & job preservtion & only job preservation was cited by the legislature. NJN News ran clips of the hearings.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:01 PM

1,796 posts, read 3,820,506 times
I just heard not too long ago that gas in NJ is the cheapest in the nation. I have a friend who lives right outside Philly in NJ and I am constantly amazed at how much lower her gas is than here in western PA. That said, I would LOVE to know how they can pay those jobs and still keep gas that low. Oh yeah.....taxes......PA is so money grubby it's unbelievable and they STILL can't get their act together for roads and public transportation.

We have purchased a house just south of Charlotte, but still live up here temporarily. We spent a week down there over Memorial Day and I got so used to the back and forth smiling, waving and being pleasant to total strangers that when we got back I couldn't give it up. I was going into a store and a lady came out and I smiled and said "hello" and she looked at me as though I was out of my mind! My immediate response to myself was.......geez, I miss North & South Carolina already and I've only been back less than 24 hours! A good number of the people in our new development are actually from NY/NJ/CT/PA, and I think they have managed to chill out, at least our neighbors have (both were originally from NY). Of course we have some complainers, but I'm going to ignore them because I am tired of the stressed out life up here. You won't hear ME complaining about "well in PA we did it this way......" I'm leaving PA because I don't like how they do things up here! In fact you might hear me say......wow, I'm SO glad you do it this way down here and I'm so happy to be here!!

Keep smiling and waving..........I love it!

Old 06-11-2008, 01:06 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I just heard not too long ago that gas in NJ is the cheapest in the nation. I have a friend who lives right outside Philly in NJ and I am constantly amazed at how much lower her gas is than here in western PA. That said, I would LOVE to know how they can pay those jobs and still keep gas that low. Oh yeah.....taxes......PA is so money grubby it's unbelievable and they STILL can't get their act together for roads and public transportation.

We have purchased a house just south of Charlotte, but still live up here temporarily. We spent a week down there over Memorial Day and I got so used to the back and forth smiling, waving and being pleasant to total strangers that when we got back I couldn't give it up. I was going into a store and a lady came out and I smiled and said "hello" and she looked at me as though I was out of my mind! My immediate response to myself was.......geez, I miss North & South Carolina already and I've only been back less than 24 hours! A good number of the people in our new development are actually from NY/NJ/CT/PA, and I think they have managed to chill out, at least our neighbors have (both were originally from NY). Of course we have some complainers, but I'm going to ignore them because I am tired of the stressed out life up here. You won't hear ME complaining about "well in PA we did it this way......" I'm leaving PA because I don't like how they do things up here! In fact you might hear me say......wow, I'm SO glad you do it this way down here and I'm so happy to be here!!

What a neat story!!! Thank you for sharing it, Rothbear. And glad you enjoyed being here . . . and hope you can relocate permanently soon. You are gonna be fine here! You already sound like a New Southerner to me.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:12 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:

Great post! And I know just what you are talking about - my sister is stuck up in the northeast and she hates the lack of eye contact, smiles and friendly exchange of pleasantries. The first time she tried telling me how bad it is I would not believe her. I bet her $5.00 I could find SOMEONE who would smile or say hello in a public place. She took me to the mall, and damned it I didn't lose that $5.00! Not a single check out person would look at me or even answer me when I made small talk! Not a single person in the whole mall responded when I smiled and said hello in passing - it was UNREAL. I've been in foreign countries that were friendlier!!!

Old 06-11-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Rothbear. NJ & SC alternate as cheapest for gas. That said, I'll gladly pay more in NC to not be paying the awful property taxes & car insurance.

Back in the '80s, South Jersey counties tried to put a question on the ballot to seceed & form a 51st state, South Jersey. The state pulled the question from the ballots.

Have a good, peaceful move. I plan to be down there myself, before fall comes.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Great post! And I know just what you are talking about - my sister is stuck up in the northeast and she hates the lack of eye contact, smiles and friendly exchange of pleasantries. The first time she tried telling me how bad it is I would not believe her. I bet her $5.00 I could find SOMEONE who would smile or say hello in a public place. She took me to the mall, and damned it I didn't lose that $5.00! Not a single check out person would look at me or even answer me when I made small talk! Not a single person in the whole mall responded when I smiled and said hello in passing - it was UNREAL. I've been in foreign countries that were friendlier!!!
My relatives in NJ and PA told me long ago that when I go around talking and smiling at people it makes me look like a country rube and a hick. They said no one does it - and anyone who does is trying to get your attention to ask for money/handout or to rob you, Hee Hee.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
My relatives in NJ and PA told me long ago that when I go around talking and smiling at people it makes me look like a country rube and a hick. They said no one does it - and anyone who does is trying to get your attention to ask for money/handout or to rob you, Hee Hee.
Ani, you'd be comfortable to do it here in South Jersey, or even in Philly. On the other hand, we know that if we leave the area, we will be considered ignorant rubes.

One of the cashiers at Pathmark, who I had known for years wanted to go to a movie & asked me if I would go with her. We had a good time.

I wanted an area that would also be easy-going.

Yes, I could sell-out here & get a town house in North Jersey, & find work there, but I don't want that life-style.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 PM

264 posts, read 828,053 times
In my experience, yes, many Southern natives dislike Northerners.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, you'd be comfortable to do it here in South Jersey, or even in Philly. On the other hand, we know that if we leave the area, we will be considered ignorant rubes.

One of the cashiers at Pathmark, who I had known for years wanted to go to a movie & asked me if I would go with her. We had a good time.

I wanted an area that would also be easy-going.

Yes, I could sell-out here & get a town house in North Jersey, & find work there, but I don't want that life-style.
It already feels to me that you are here, LOL. With your southern connections and all the research you have done on the area . . . you are gonna blend w/ the locals when you get here, Hee Hee.

I have to admit - I don't get hassled about a lot of things . . . but wow - do I get aggravated when someone outside the South assumes I am a hick b/c I have a Southern accent. It really really really peeves me. But I sure have gotten some remarks b/c of it. And it really really really peeves me when people come here and use terrible grammar and then put Southerners down b/c of our accent. I guess I just hate stereotypes in general.

I try to blend in wherever I go but really - if one has a basically friendly personality, then that is just what it is. I am friendly in Paris, for ex., and surprisingly, Parisians have always been very kind to me, even w/ my limited French. People who get all uptight about being friendly - they need to lighten up and learn to be NICE. Doesn't cost a thing to just be NICE.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:21 PM

620 posts, read 1,918,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
In my experience, yes, many Southern natives dislike Northerners.
Many people will try to deny that, but it's pretty true. I have a couple Southern friends/acquaintances and out of all of them about one or two of them don't care about things like that. The rest of them dislike Northerners and didn't have very nice things to say. When I'm like, you know your telling me this/why do you talk to me then, they say "Well, you aren't like the rest of them." I'm not the only one who has heard that phrase. I know a couple of people who have encountered the same thing.

Last edited by nyxmike; 06-11-2008 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or