Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Well, maybe something like "well, aren't you SPECIAL!!!" may be a close substitute . . . and "RIIIIIIIIIGHT" said in the correct tone . . . or "You don't mean it!!!!" . . . it all depends on how one is using BYH . . . after all . . . there are many ways to use that phrase. It can genuinely mean the speaker is commiserating w/ the the other person (as in, Oh, my, I am so sorry) or it can mean . . . You don't have a clue but I am not going to further comment on it . . . So, I guess it all depends on how the term is being employed.

As for this whole discussion about Southerners not liking Yankees . . . well . . . part of my family are Yankees (and they call themselves Yankees, LOL!!!) and so many of friends have always been from other parts of the country . . . I guess the thing is - people are just people and only if you are obnoxious or offensive would most people refer to someone as a "Yankee." My DH is a Yankee . . . and I do tease him about it. He likes to say his mother's side was from Maryland, so that makes him half Southern, but dear me . . . his gggggrandfather left Maryland in the 1700s . . . so really . . .

I regularly tell my DH he is "so Yankee" but it is b/c of things he does that are so non-Southern. I would have to start a thread on what things qualify as "non-Southern," LOL!!!!

But as for Southerners in general disliking newcomers from the NE, honestly, I don't think that is fair. But as for Southerners getting disgusted w/ particular MANNERISMS that are common in the NE, yes . . . that will cause a Southerner to dismiss someone as a "Yankee."

Maybe I should start that thread on "what will get a newcomer called a Yankee," Hee Hee Hee.

Last edited by brokensky; 06-12-2008 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: left out word

Old 06-12-2008, 10:41 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, maybe something like "well, aren't you SPECIAL!!!" may be a close substitute . . . and "RIIIIIIIIIGHT" said in the correct tone . . . or "You don't mean it!!!!" . . . it all depends on how one is using BYH . . . after all . . . there are many ways to use that phrase. It can genuinely mean the speaker is commiserating w/ the the other person (as in, Oh, my, I am so sorry) or it can mean . . . You don't have a clue but I am not going to further comment on it . . . So, I guess it all depends on how the term is being employed.

As for this whole discussion about Southerners not liking Yankees . . . well . . . part of my family are Yankees (and they call themselves Yankees, LOL!!!) and so many of friends have always been from other parts of the country . . . I guess the thing is - people are just people and only if you are obnoxious or offensive would most people refer to someone as a "Yankee." My DH is a Yankee . . . and I do tease him about it. He likes to say his mother's side was from Maryland, so that makes him half Southern, but dear me . . . his gggggrandfather left Maryland in the 1700s . . . so really . . .

I regularly tell my DH he is "so Yankee" but is b/c of things he does that are so non-Southern. I would have to start a thread on what things qualify as "non-Southern," LOL!!!!

But as for Southerners in general disliking newcomers from the NE, honestly, I don't think that is fair. But as for Southerners getting disgusted w/ particular MANNERISMS that are common in the NE, yes . . . that will cause a Southerner to dismiss someone as a "Yankee."

Maybe I should start that thread on "what will get a newcomer called a Yankee," Hee Hee Hee.
LOL, Thanks, Ani, I think you're in the right ballpark.

That sounds like a good thread idea.

Last edited by southbound_295; 06-12-2008 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: brain lapse

Old 06-12-2008, 10:53 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clt_gator View Post
So true.

But I've grown to loathe many of these folks, as they sometimes tend to adopt the "I liked Charlotte better in 1965" mantra and oppose any sort of development.
I have grown to loathe folks that generalize about native Charlotteans

Old 06-12-2008, 11:08 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I have grown to loathe folks that generalize about native Charlotteans
+1 Absolutely agree.

Now let me hop in the General Lee and go pick up Uncle Jesse.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
+1 Absolutely agree.

Now let me hop in the General Lee and go pick up Uncle Jesse.
You do that, while I put on my Daisy Dukes, tease my hair, grab my blue eye shadow, stumble over the three coon hounds that stay on the front porch . . . and stand by the dirt road so I can hitch a ride when you pass by.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:16 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
You do that, while I put on my Daisy Dukes, tease my hair, grab my blue eye shadow, stumble over the three coon hounds that stay on the front porch . . . and stand by the dirt road so I can hitch a ride when you pass by.
OHMY, I am truly laughing outloud over here Ani!! I wanted to rep you so bad for this one!!!! Dang, why aren't we allowed to rep a person anytime we want??? You sure deserve it much more than I can give it!

Thanks for the good laugh, I needed that!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:17 AM

620 posts, read 2,118,685 times
[quote=anifani821;4079088]
QUOTE]

See, I don't understand that. What does it have to do with where someone is from? To me, they are just an obnoxious person, and that's it. Some of my friends do that all the time. For example, this guy we work with (who happens to be from the NE somewhere) can be really annoying, and I will say "Adam really gets on my nerves" and my friends response will be "Yeah, me too. I hate northerners." What does being annoying/obnoxious have to do with being from a particular region of this country? Are southerners not capable of being annoying as well?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:24 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
ROFL.......... Ani, you don't know how close that is to what some of the newcomers around here have told me that I'm like! That's about the point that I'm thinking, Don't see too well, huh?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
See, I don't understand that. What does it have to do with where someone is from? To me, they are just an obnoxious person, and that's it. Some of my friends do that all the time. For example, this guy we work with (who happens to be from the NE somewhere) can be really annoying, and I will say "Adam really gets on my nerves" and my friends response will be "Yeah, me too. I hate northerners." What does being annoying/obnoxious have to do with being from a particular region of this country? Are southerners not capable of being annoying as well?
True - obnoxious is obnoxious and anyone from anywhere can be obnoxious.

However, some things are just labeled "Yankee behavior" here in the South, Hee Hee. I mean - I have been told I was "acting like a Yankee" many times. In fact, when I moved to the midwest and would come back home, there would be times my friends and family would say, "Good grief - you sound like a Yankee."

There are just certain things . . . maybe I should start a thread . . .

But as to being obnoxious, I agree - no particular area of the country has a corner on acting like an A$$. That includes the South.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:53 PM

444 posts, read 1,649,068 times
Remember that the "Yankees" are moving here we are not moving to the North (if we can help it). I am a Charlottean and have been here since I was five years old ( a long time believe me) I love "Yankees" because they are fun to tease but that is all it is for me.

Some people moving here are set in their ways and not willing to learn our ways whether our ways are right or wrong. These are the ones who should have stayed up North.

When I visit up North I understand that it is is not correct to be friendly or outgoing. When visiting a very expensive dress store in New York the sales clerk followed us around like we might steal the store. (obviously we looked like we came from the south and poor and they thought Rednecks!)

No seriously most people moving into the Charlotte area are very happy to be here and enjoy our southern ways. There are always the exception and they really wouldn't be happy here or anywhere. Those might be called Yankees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte