Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 05:09 PM

646 posts, read 813,645 times

Advertisements

Anyway, in the end I'm sure North Carolina will be re-named New New York, and South Carolina changed to New New Jersey. (kidding of course...but it seems possible..)

Oh pLease don't. We don't want the economic polarization brought here they left in the NE, esp NY/NJ.

We'd only end up with no middle class and a handful of rich elites and everyone else poor. If NY was so great they'd have stayed there, but see it doesn't offer opportunities up in the Rust Belt.

Northerners esp those from NY and NJ need to get over their master race complex, the country went to war back in WWII to fight that concept.
Northerners have a hard time because Democracy when they leave the NE is new to them, they're not use to having people talk back to them and they try to take complete control of every situation. They're not democractic.

What hypocrisy, the NY media tells everyone how great the city is, yet it people all HAVE to leave for one reason or another. Can't be so great then!!

Old 10-28-2007, 10:55 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,982,267 times
[quote=AOYAS;487153]I'm thinking about moving to Charlotte from the mid-west, and I'm a little iffy about the over-abundance of "northerners" (specifically, New Jerseyans and New Yorkers) moving to Charlotte. One of the main reasons I want to move to CLT is the "southern hospitality" and charm the city has. My parents' families are originally from New Jersey and New York, and my husband is originally from Philly so I am familiar with the way people are in the north east. Suffice it to say that my parents and husbnad left NJ, NY and PA for various reasons including general attitudes of "north-easterners." Now, I realize that generalizations aren't fair, and that not everyone from NJ, NY, or PA are loud-mouth, obnoxious whiners with strong accents and corrupt morals, but stereotypes exist for a reason, and no one can intelligently argue that. I just hope that when I get to Charlotte, my neighbors and co-workers are nice, friendly people, who embrace that "southern hospitality" mentality, and I don't end up feeling like I've moved to "Little New Jersey."

Do you really believe that your "careful choice of words" has not offended your family, your husband, or your future Southern neighbors. If you feel that generalizations are so unfair then perhaps you should reconsider perpetuating them in a post. Southerners are VERY nice. They are not naive. I suspect you will have a hard time being "embraced" anywhere.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:04 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,982,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellingtheroses View Post
I moved here from Houston over 2 years ago. I definitely don't care for the NY/NJ "who the eff are you looking at" transplants trying to turn every area into a mini-NYC, right down to their improperly built lakeside mega-mansions.

But there is absolutely no excuse for the rude, arrogant, condescending behavior exhibited by so many Carolinians. It's almost as if people in the Carolinas have this huge chip on their shoulder - "You think you are better than me" air to them. The only thing this breeds is an ingroup-outgroup mentality where you have transplants from other areas of the country forming their own groups to defend against the Carolinians. All this leads to hatred, mistrust, and threads like these.

If a company called from Houston and offered me a job I'd take it and move right back there. I'm not originally from Texas (I'm a Mainer by birth and raising), but both Houstonians and Texans welcome outsiders. North Carolina simply doesn't and should be honest for a change and tell people not to come here.
Was your first sentence not rude and arrogant? Was the rest not condescending? Please follow your own advixe. THESE statements also lead to hatred and mistrust. Think about it...........

Old 10-29-2007, 12:07 AM

58 posts, read 129,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellingtheroses View Post
I moved here from Houston over 2 years ago. I definitely don't care for the NY/NJ "who the eff are you looking at" transplants trying to turn every area into a mini-NYC, right down to their improperly built lakeside mega-mansions.
You know, I keep seeing this. You can stop blaming the transplants for it. The family who moved down from New York last week or even last year didn't come down with a bulldozer and knock down a bunch of trees and put up a high end residential community or upscale shopping plaza. They came because that stuff was already going up, and it was newer and cheaper than what they already had. They are simply taking advantage of it, which is their choice. If you don't care for them, don't have them over for dinner, and don't meet them for drinks after work. Problem solved.

Quote:
But there is absolutely no excuse for the rude, arrogant, condescending behavior exhibited by so many Carolinians. It's almost as if people in the Carolinas have this huge chip on their shoulder - "You think you are better than me" air to them.
I've been in and out of the area on business over the last year. I've been in contact with plenty of people and they know I'm not a native and that I'm not staying. They've never treated me like that. I've never gotten that impression of anyone in Charlotte at all. Not at all.

Quote:
The only thing this breeds is an ingroup-outgroup mentality where you have transplants from other areas of the country forming their own groups to defend against the Carolinians. All this leads to hatred, mistrust, and threads like these.
I don't know. Like I said, I've been in and out of the area. I know there are cliques, as there are everywhere. You make it sound like war. No offense, but take it from someone who's around both the north and the south a lot and deals with tons of people everywhere - You are overreacting.

Quote:
If a company called from Houston and offered me a job I'd take it and move right back there. I'm not originally from Texas (I'm a Mainer by birth and raising), but both Houstonians and Texans welcome outsiders. North Carolina simply doesn't and should be honest for a change and tell people not to come here.
Nonsense. You just don't give people enough credit. You act as if they don't think like individuals, but instead only act a certain way based on where they live. It's just not true. Why don't you just live where you can be happy, and stop worrying about whether or not people you don't even know are going to welcome you or not?

Old 10-29-2007, 01:03 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I have to agree with both berk and neo..we are here 45 days now and being born and raised in brooklyn ny let me say this is such a nice change of life...I am a northerner obviously but love the slowness to a point..lol...its easy going no rat race like NY or NJ for that matter and for the most part Ive encountered good experiences from the transplants other than some rude Nyker that was in target complaining about something, well let me say everything..lol. I turned around and said to her because for 10 min she didnt shut up I said then maybe u should just go back to Ny she heard my accent and knew I was from there and was like well Im STUCK here..I said Im sorry u feel that way..and i walked away..grrrrrr those are the ones who make it bad for the rest of us...
You are absolutely right! If you accept us, we accept you, without question. I have met so many of THOSE that I am afraid when I hear a Northern accent, I do not run toward it. I am a little standoffish, but I reserve judgment until I am around that person for a while.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:19 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Yeah but SC and NC have more mobile homes than any other state in the country. Yuck. They litter the potentially nice landscape.
That is a totally insensitive mean statement. That is the best home some people can afford. How would you like for someone to make a comment like that about the place you live? Some people have very nice landscaping around their mobile homes.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:08 AM

19 posts, read 17,749 times
People from the north are kool. Every part of the country has their idiots. I have family that live in the north, california as well as north and south carolina, so I've seen my fair share.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,277 times
Default Yes, I am a Charlotte native

I am a Charlotte native, but feel like I'm in the minority. It seems like everyone I encounter is from NY or NJ. Where are all the native Charlotteans? I know you are out there. We live in Union County, and I would love to find someone that remembers what the Charlotte area was like before 1985. Matthews was considered living out in the country. I do miss driving down Providence and Monroe Rd. and only seeing a few other cars. I understand why so many people want to move here, but soon it will be just like what you are trying to get away from, so keep in mind what drew you here in the first place. Be kind and courteous, speak slowly, and quietly, and use your turn signals, and we will get along just fine.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottenativegirl View Post
I am a Charlotte native, but feel like I'm in the minority. It seems like everyone I encounter is from NY or NJ. Where are all the native Charlotteans? I know you are out there. We live in Union County, and I would love to find someone that remembers what the Charlotte area was like before 1985. Matthews was considered living out in the country. I do miss driving down Providence and Monroe Rd. and only seeing a few other cars. I understand why so many people want to move here, but soon it will be just like what you are trying to get away from, so keep in mind what drew you here in the first place. Be kind and courteous, speak slowly, and quietly, and use your turn signals, and we will get along just fine.
Hi, CNGirl! I see this is your first post! Welcome to the Charlotte Forum. Since you are a native, I hope you will stick around . . . you will find there are a few of us who are natives here!

Old 06-11-2008, 09:58 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hi, CNGirl! I see this is your first post! Welcome to the Charlotte Forum. Since you are a native, I hope you will stick around . . . you will find there are a few of us who are natives here!
One of my friends remembers when Eastland Mall was nothing but rolling fields. He & his friends used to play there when they were kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte