U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 05:24 PM

17 posts, read 105,822 times

Advertisements

I know it's a broad statement but....Someone commented to me to stay in NY. I just wondered how do Charlotte natives generally really feel about so many northerners moving there. Personally I think it's flattering and ofcourse makes Charlotte a very desirable location, also seems like Charlotte and the outskirts are handling the influx as well as could be expected.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:29 PM

2,152 posts, read 5,939,220 times
You'll be hard pressed to find actual "Charlotte Natives" in Charlotte. Most people here are from other places it seems. I haven't run into many southerners who absolutely dislike Notherners. They may have problems with the comments like "Well, in NY we did it this way". This has led to the "We don't care how you did it up north" bumper sticker!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 05:33 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,286,459 times
I've lived in the area all of my life, and I'd say most natives are fine with most of the new arrivals. The only problem I would see is if someone comes here and starts, "Well, this is how we did ____ in NY, NJ, CA, ect....." or acting as if Charlotte was a hellhole until they got here. That's a BIG no no here. Considered extremely insulting. The Charlotte was a great area before the influx took place, and I think it still is a great place. As long as you are friendly and respect who we are, you'll have no problem. Most of the newbies have been wonderful. Come on down!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 05:34 PM

82 posts, read 292,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
You'll be hard pressed to find actual "Charlotte Natives" in Charlotte.
So true.

But I've grown to loathe many of these folks, as they sometimes tend to adopt the "I liked Charlotte better in 1965" mantra and oppose any sort of development.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:46 PM

110 posts, read 358,092 times
So far, everyone has been the most friendly here in Charlotte. I haven't had a problem with anyone. My co-workers and I exchange "culture shock" stories. I would tell them how I wouldn't have to pump my own gasoline in NJ and they would tell me about how hot in gets and the summertime storms. It's all good.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:57 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiegirl16 View Post
So far, everyone has been the most friendly here in Charlotte. I haven't had a problem with anyone. My co-workers and I exchange "culture shock" stories. I would tell them how I wouldn't have to pump my own gasoline in NJ and they would tell me about how hot in gets and the summertime storms. It's all good.
That not be allowed to pump your own gas thing in NJ just floors me! Couldn't believe it the first time I was thru there and found this out. Just a great example of another way I think unions make sure people get ripped off.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:41 PM
NDL

2,648 posts, read 3,248,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That not be allowed to pump your own gas thing in NJ just floors me! Couldn't believe it the first time I was thru there and found this out. Just a great example of another way I think unions make sure people get ripped off.
Unions have nothing to do with it. Actually, if memory serves correct, the law was drafted in the mid to late 70's, as today's corporate mega gas stations started popping up. The thinking was that by mandating full service, Mom & Pop stations would stay (remain) in business, as corporate giants would find it cost prohibitive, to have several attendants working per shift.

I lived in Jersey for a bit. And I found the attitudes of New Jerseyans interesting; specifically that most 40-somethings, have never pumped their own gas. It is in fact, against the law, to dispense gas yourself.

After all is said and done, the thing I miss most, is the nominal 14-cents-per-gallon tax .

Old 03-22-2007, 07:54 PM

7,886 posts, read 17,328,234 times
This will be a problem for me..LOL....pumping my own gas......this should be interesting, Ive done it a few times in the freezing cold and would honestly rather not do it again, however unless I want to drive my car I will have to start Pumping Again...LOL>>>>>>>>heeeeeheee

Old 03-22-2007, 08:01 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
This will be a problem for me..LOL....pumping my own gas......this should be interesting, Ive done it a few times in the freezing cold and would honestly rather not do it again, however unless I want to drive my car I will have to start Pumping Again...LOL>>>>>>>>heeeeeheee
Wow, this is just SOOOO foreign to me, that you would find it strange to have to pump your own gas!! Of course my boys are older, I just get them to do the pumping now

Old 03-22-2007, 08:45 PM

7,886 posts, read 17,328,234 times
ahh lucky you, can I hire one of them????ROFLMAO..Loves one day I will tell why, Im not going to say it here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or