Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:14 PM

55 posts, read 188,277 times

Advertisements

Educators and community members will be holding a rally/march at Marshall Park tomorrow evening at 4 to protest Dr. Gorman's decision to lay off teachers. The park is between the Education Center and the Government Center. The groups will march to address the board shortly before the Board Meeting at 6.

Stand up for our teachers and our children!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:49 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Perhaps it would help your cause if you would present your case in a little greater detail. I'm sure as an educator you are teaching your students to gather facts and then present them for review.

Now what was it you would like your audience to support??

Old 03-09-2009, 06:46 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
The fact is that it is all about money.
Less tax revenue coming in = less money for the public education system.
What exactly do you think you are protesting, where is the money going to come from?
Ever taken Economics 101?

Just think how many teachers they could keep employed if CMS buses did not run over 100,000 miles every single school day...
Independence has some stellar uniforms/field/football gear. How many teachers could that sustain over this slow economy?

Hmm...

Also know that cost per child in CMS is more than most private schools in Charlotte.
That is the reason vouchers will never happen here.

Saying it is 'for the kids' is a bit silly.
You are moaning over system cuts which are a fiscal reality.
There is much more fat to be cut.

Quarter the district and end busing and I might use the public system (and save $30K per year).
Otherwise I will continue to invest in private education.

But you are welcome for what I have paid into the system for decades and never used...

Last edited by mullman; 03-09-2009 at 07:02 PM..

Old 03-09-2009, 06:49 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Maybe homeschooling is the answer to CMS woes.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:20 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Sadly, even in the best of times, teachers are under-paid in most school systems in NC (as well as in most other states). However, the hiring freeze (and cutbacks) are the result of the overall economic situation we are facing not only here - but all over the country.

I agree with Mullman - that perhaps monies could be shifted from some other areas (operational) in order to preserve some jobs, but the bottom line always comes down to the bottom line: money in equals money out . . . and what the incoming money is reduced . . . well . . .

I have nothing but respect for teachers and the work they do. However, I feel there are many things on the operational side of CMS that could be improved, including allocation of funds. Unfortunately, it is usually the teachers . . . and thus, the students . . . who get the short end of the stick.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:31 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,219 times
People in all walks of life are getting laid off. Why should teachers be exempt? I don't have kids (and sure can't afford to have any in the depression we're in) and I pay for schools every year. That's less money going into my savings account for when I inevitably get booted or my company goes under.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 AM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
You know, it saddens me as a life long educator to see some of the responses on here to an honest effort by a teacher. I know that times are tough but if we fail to educate THIS generation adequately then the economy is going to be even tougher for our own children.
Apparently, or so it seems, the conventional wisdom is that public schools are vastly wasting taxpayer dollars; therefore, some in the public choose to pile on when times are tough. If you think it is tough now, then wait until we fail a generation of children.
Invest now... or pay later. (/rant)

And for the record, sorry Teacherchick24 - we all know that it is tough all over for educators but please know you have appreciated for your efforts, though you couldn't tell it by some responses.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
You know, it saddens me as a life long educator to see some of the responses on here to an honest effort by a teacher.
Don't be so dramatic, obviously everyone greatly appreciates the job teachers do. My wife is a life-long educator as well.

What people do not appreciate is gross mismanagement and school board members who behave like children.
[If you have been here for a few years, then you know of which I speak]

Old 03-10-2009, 08:00 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I don't have kids so it doesn't personally affect my household.

However, I feel for the teachers who SHOULD have a secure job. I mean it is your children, the future, that are being taught here correct? I think they should trim the fat off other areas in order to save these jobs. I mean what are they going to do, stuff more kids into already crowded classes? Then there's really NO personal attention and kids will slip further through the cracks.

I agree with Mull 100% on the mismanagement of funds, etc. It needs to stop ASAP.

Mull-I totally understand what you are saying but you do have to understand that some families simply cannot afford private school and CMS is their only option.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:03 AM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Don't be so dramatic, obviously everyone greatly appreciates the job teachers do. My wife is a life-long educator as well.

What people do not appreciate is gross mismanagement.
I appreciate your explanation. After reading your first response I did not sense that you felt this week.
For what it is worth... on Independence High football. I can't expressly speak to them or CMS, but I do know that in a lot of circumstances, athletic programs are self-sustaining after the construction of fields, gyms, etc. Independence High football gates, for example, would likely pay for their own equipment, as well as the uniforms are non-revenue sports such as cross country. New uniforms on a football player generally do not come from the classroom general funds.
It is sort of like when a reporter recently asked the UConn basketball coach if he felt guilty about his big salary. He then proceeded to explain that the basketball program brought in four times his salary annually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte