U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:01 PM

5 posts, read 7,248 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My girlfriend and I are looking to move to Charlotte from Tampa Florida. We miss the seasons changing! :-) I have a few quick questions about Charlotte and North Carolina in general:

1.) Can you smoke inside buildings? You can't in FL and we LOVE it!

2.) Do you have to pass inspection/emissions with your vehicles there? ...is it just a basic inspection...emissions as well (sniffer in the tail pipe)...both?

3.) How is the scene at Lake Norman? Are there any beaches there or is it surrounded by houses and personal property?

Thanks so much and wish us luck on finding a job first so we can move there!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 12:14 PM

393 posts, read 1,050,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugger View Post
1.) Can you smoke inside buildings? You can't in FL and we LOVE it!
Yes, some. Most are smoke free, but I don't think there are any laws that ban it...yet.

Quote:
2.) Do you have to pass inspection/emissions with your vehicles there? ...is it just a basic inspection...emissions as well (sniffer in the tail pipe)...both?
In NC, yes to both. In SC, no to both.

Quote:
3.) How is the scene at Lake Norman? Are there any beaches there or is it surrounded by houses and personal property?
Mostly personal property.

Quote:
Thanks so much and wish us luck on finding a job first so we can move there!!!!!!
Good luck...

Old 03-11-2009, 12:42 PM

Smoke free is great. Do most restaurants have a smoking and a non-smoking section?

And if my gf and I wanted to get in our suits and head to the lake to soak up some sun, is there anywhere we can do that by the water?

Thanks so much for the reply!!!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:12 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,875,620 times
Default Best thing

In my opinion that ever happened was Illinois passing the no smoking law in public. Restaurants no matter how hard they try to separate smoking from non-smoking usually fail since smoke travels in the air freely .

FWIW I went to several restaurants in Charlotte back in January and did not see any smoking whatsoever. Not sure about other buildings/bars/clubs.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:15 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,459,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
In my opinion that ever happened was Illinois passing the no smoking law in public. Restaurants no matter how hard they try to separate smoking from non-smoking usually fail since smoke travels in the air freely .

FWIW I went to several restaurants in Charlotte back in January and did not see any smoking whatsoever. Not sure about other buildings/bars/clubs.
From what I understand, there's a good split in Meck Co. between bars / clubs that choose to allow smoking and bars that choose not to. Which is as it should be - everyone has a choice without any silly regulations.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,350,491 times
lots of people from IL here....anyways, I was mildly in shock my first night in Charlotte and I saw someone smoking in a restaurant, I had forgotten it was legal to do so anywhere.

With that said, I thought it would bother me more than it does.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:27 PM

327 posts, read 1,057,914 times
Quote:
And if my gf and I wanted to get in our suits and head to the lake to soak up some sun, is there anywhere we can do that by the water?
There are several public access areas to the lake, so you can find a patch of sand and get some sun...BUT...you can't get wet, except for at 1 location, unless you're on a boat. LAke Norman is privately owned and swimming has historically been viewed as a liability. There has been recent discussion about changing that so that those without a boat can enjoy the water as well.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Great info, thank you all so much. We hate smoke so I'm glad to hear that there aren't too many places (like I was thinking in my head) that allow the smoking. We'll just stray away from those places.

As for the lake... that stinks that there isn't anywhere to just go swimming. LBIkid, where is that one place you can actually get in the water at the lake?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:55 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Great info, thank you all so much. We hate smoke so I'm glad to hear that there aren't too many places (like I was thinking in my head) that allow the smoking. We'll just stray away from those places.

As for the lake... that stinks that there isn't anywhere to just go swimming. LBIkid, where is that one place you can actually get in the water at the lake?
This might help you...problem is, this is not in Charlotte at all, but north in Troutman, sorry!

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Lake Norman State Park

Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 PM

That link is great, thank you! Looks like a great place to go in the summer! If we end up living north of the city that would be all the better for visiting the lake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or