U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:51 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
LM, I am respectfully disagreeing w/you that there is no appearance of "cronyism" or nepotism in this case.

The lady's husband is a city council member. She got a PUBLIC high powered job w/o competing against other candidates during a hiring freeze.

Like Ani said, this just smells "stinky" to me....

I guess well have to agree to disagree...
Appearances are often misleading

Please read the definitions of "nepotism" and "cronyism" - they don't really fit in this case, even though her husband is city councilman. But we can, AS USUAL, lol, agree to disagree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 12:34 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,641,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Appearances are often misleading

Please read the definitions of "nepotism" and "cronyism" - they don't really fit in this case, even though her husband is city councilman. But we can, AS USUAL, lol, agree to disagree!
Loves, here is the definition of nepotism.....

Nepotism is the showing of favoritism toward relatives or friends based upon that relationship, rather than on an objective evaluation of ability or suitability. For instance, offering employment to a relative, despite the fact that there are others who are better qualified and willing to perform the job, would be nepotism

The job (a public TAXPAYER FUNDED job) was posted for 1 day without interviewing anyone else during a hiring freeze...

I know people who defended this will say "but she is highly qualified". That may or may not be true, but county didn't go through the process of finding the best candidate as they should have...(again, it is a PUBLIC job). So, its not a legitimate defense in this case.

I know we're beating a dead horse, but how can you (not you specifically, actually anyone who defends this) really say there was an objective evaluation here?

Last edited by CouponJack; 03-13-2009 at 01:35 PM..

Old 03-13-2009, 02:28 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Loves, here is the definition of nepotism.....

Nepotism is the showing of favoritism toward relatives or friends based upon that relationship, rather than on an objective evaluation of ability or suitability. For instance, offering employment to a relative, despite the fact that there are others who are better qualified and willing to perform the job, would be nepotism

The job (a public TAXPAYER FUNDED job) was posted for 1 day without interviewing anyone else during a hiring freeze...

I know people who defended this will say "but she is highly qualified". That may or may not be true, but county didn't go through the process of finding the best candidate as they should have...(again, it is a PUBLIC job). So, its not a legitimate defense in this case.

I know we're beating a dead horse, but how can you (not you specifically, actually anyone who defends this) really say there was an objective evaluation here?
I didn't say it WAS objective, only that I can understand how it happened the way it did

Old 03-14-2009, 08:05 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Friends tend to hire friends . . . former co-workers who have seen good work from people they liked working with are sure to hire - or put a good word in - for those former associates.

This situation troubles me b/c the job was only posted for a day, wh/ didn't give others who may have been equally qualified for the job a chance to even apply. And let's face it. The decision was made b/f the ad even ran. However, the woman appears to be very qualified. Still, it just doesn't seem fair b/c it is a government-related job, and the public should have at least had the opportunity to apply for it. It is a lack of "transparency" otherwise. However, the issue has been addressed and a policy put in place requiring ads to run at least 6 days in the future.

The other jobs - all those for DSS positions hired prior to the freeze . . . I would like to see how that great of a number of jobs suddenly became "open." That is a LOT of money for a budget in one department - and a LOT of jobs to be hired w/in a short period of time . . . right b/f a hiring freeze. So I would like to see:

1. How many of those jobs were created jobs (new jobs)?
2. How many were jobs that were opened b/c of people leaving that position and how many were jobs opened b/c people left their position for an advancement w/in the same department?
3. How much money it took to fund 30-40 jobs?
4. On average, how many people are hired in DSS annually, over the last 10 years?

Now, if I knew the answer to those questions, I would be able to ascertain more clearly what has occurred here. But on the surface, I still maintain, hiring that many people in such a short period w/ everyone being fully aware of the budget problems in this county . . . well, it just looks problematic to me.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:35 PM

61 posts, read 98,759 times
There is a post on WSOC from someone who actually worked at DSS and their was a candidate that had more experience and better qualifications then Ms. Foxx; who was already employed by DSS but was not promoted to that position. That's why the hiring decision for public government jobs should not be left up to one person. It should be a panel interview with 3 or 4 people making the decision as to who the final candidate will be.

This is public taxpayer money, this is NOT the private sector. No one person should be able to have the final decision on hiring a city, county or state employee. When you give one person that much "hiring power" expect to find favorism alive and well in the workplace. But this is bigger then just hiring a former employee that the Head of DSS previously worked with. This is a back scratching and "calling in favors"! It was Larry Jones that wanted her hired. Lots of dirt underneath and with politics there always is. All of these individuals (the Foxxes, Harry Jones, Mary Wilson, Vilma Leakes, new police chief and more) attend this one particular African American church for political networkers and social climbers here in Charlotte. One hand washes the other, you do something for me and I'll do something for you....or for your wife, or daughter, or son, etc. Next thing you know something shady is going down that will affect a hard working individual who thinks he or she after working in a department for years actually has a chance at getting promoted. Somebody who is less "well-connected" got screwed in the process for sure.

Hey, if the Harry Jones and Mary Wilson want to put themselves out there and get in the game with the high rollers and the political well-connected, do it with your own private business, I don't think anybody would give a damn about that. But don't use taxpayers money and resources through public jobs to make good on your crooked wheeling and dealing. Thats where the problems come in and thats when folks start getting pissed off! I related it to the Bail-Out of AIG and them still paying out bonuses after receiving taxpayers money. Hard working, honest people are getting tired of being screwed by corrupt opportunist, those who work in the private and public sector; whether they are dealing crookedly with taxpayers funded jobs or taxpayer money!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,046,617 times
I think this is ridiculous.

The main woman was hired as an outsider to shake up and fix the problms deeply rooted in the department. She was someone to assist her. Why on earth would she hire someone from withing when she was speciically hired from the outside to fix problems within the organization.

BTW, Frienship has thousands of members. I hardly see why that is important. Sounds way more personal that it needs to be.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 AM

Do you guys want to take another crack at this and defend these guys again? I said months ago this organization was shady.

Audit reveals more DSS problems | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/786151.html - broken link)

What will the excuse be this time? That this happens everywhere and we have bigger fish to fry, just like the hiring fiasco?

Gotta love Govco at work....

Last edited by CouponJack; 06-18-2009 at 10:45 AM..

Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 AM

Sure, read my post directly above yours.

Now from the article:

"Wilson, who took over DSS in July 2008, told commissioners that she ordered the audit after learning this year about accounting irregularities in the charity program."

She was hired to shake things up and seems like she's doing a good job and finding and investigating problems. I don't see how this supports your claim that Foxx was hired inappropriately. Again, If I am coming into an agency rife with problems, why on earth out I hire a long term employee into the position as my assistant??? I'm look for solutions, not people entrenched in the problem.

Am I mixing names?? The woman that you accused of cronyism/favoritism, that was hired to help fix the agency, found and followed up on fraud of at minimum 100k and the case is now up for prosecution. How are her actions proof of shadiness???

Quote:
Do you guys want to take another crack at this and defend these guys again? I told you months ago this organization was shady.

Audit reveals more DSS problems | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/786151.html - broken link)

What will the excuse be this time? That this happens everywhere and we have bigger fish to fry, just like the hiring fiasco?

Gotta love Govco at work....

Old 06-18-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Sure, read my post directly above yours.

Now from the article:

"Wilson, who took over DSS in July 2008, told commissioners that she ordered the audit after learning this year about accounting irregularities in the charity program."

She was hired to shake things up and seems like she's doing a good job and finding and investigating problems. I don't see how this supports your claim that Foxx was hired inappropriately. Again, If I am coming into an agency rife with problems, why on earth out I hire a long term employee into the position as my assistant??? I'm look for solutions, not people entrenched in the problem.

Am I mixing names?? The woman that you accused of cronyism/favoritism, that was hired to help fix the agency, found and followed up on fraud of at minimum 100k and the case is now up for prosecution. How are her actions proof of shadiness???

I didn't question whether she would do a good job or not. The question was whether she got the GOVERNMENT position because of cronyism (which i believe we already established).

You are mixing 2 different issues.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:12 AM

Well, since you posted this on your old thread, I thought you saw them as related. You said

"Do you guys want to take another crack at this and defend these guys again? I said months ago this organization was shady."

The "guys" people were defending were Wilson and Foxx. I expected the article to show shadiness on the part of Wilson or Foxx.

And no, I think we all established that there are different ways to look at an issue. There was no agreement on "cronyism".

Quote:
I didn't question whether she would do a good job or not. The question was whether she got the GOVERNMENT position because of cronyism (which i believe we already established).

You are mixing 2 different issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte