U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 03:50 PM

1,852 posts, read 3,402,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, there are a few problems with this...first of all, some kids are striving for perfect attendence records, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, lol, and they don't want to miss a single day or they will lose that record.

Secondly, you are not allowed a set number of days to be absent - ANY absence must be accounted for by a doctors note to be considered acceptable unless there is a death or something like that in the family.

But most of all, for me, I am offended at the lack of respect given to Memorial Day by this decision - a day to honor all the brave men and women who have served this country in the armed forces. I think they should have made Martin Luther King Day the snow day over Memorial Day - one day honors only one man, the other honors hundreds of thousands of men (and women). Yeah, like that's gonna happen.
Wow I don't remember ever having a doctors note to miss school. Mom said I was sick I was sick.. I mean I don't even go to the doctor. (thats whole different issue). I as a parent would be a little ticked as well, but I would call the school, say my kid is not coming in on this day. Yes perfect attendence records are one thing.. But seriously, if you planned a family cruise from Monday to Sunday, are you going to lose thousands?

And also to your point Loves, I agree.. it is a lack of respect. As much as I love holidays, outside of of religious holidays, I think Memorial day is the most important. Those men and women who died for our Freedom, the Freedom to go to school, to pull our kids out of school, etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 03:54 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,874,773 times
Hey Loves, I appreciate that we should respect Memorial Day, I do. But, I truly don't think the folks screaming the loudest about being in school on Memorial Day are complaining because they plan to do something to honor our fallen heros. It's just an inconvenience in their vacation plans.

Sometimes, being in school on Memorial Day actually can be an education in what it's all about. I recall another year when our kids had to be in school on Memorial Day. Our kids' elementary school put together an assembly with guest speakers and classes participating, and the public was invited. It was probably the most meaningful Memorial Day I have every participated in. I mean, there's no reason the kids can't respect Memorial Day in school, right?

Old 03-12-2009, 03:57 PM

45,095 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Hey Loves, I appreciate that we should respect Memorial Day, I do. But, I truly don't think the folks screaming the loudest about being in school on Memorial Day are complaining because they plan to do something to honor our fallen heros. It's just an inconvenience in their vacation plans.

Sometimes, being in school on Memorial Day actually can be an education in what it's all about. I recall another year when our kids had to be in school on Memorial Day. Our kids' elementary school put together an assembly with guest speakers and classes participating, and the public was invited. It was probably the most meaningful Memorial Day I have every participated in. I mean, there's no reason the kids can't respect Memorial Day in school, right?
I would agree, IF the school and teachers make the effort to celebrate its meaning

Old 03-12-2009, 05:48 PM

673 posts, read 1,839,981 times
I just looked at the Union County Schools website. I see the makeup days listed on the calendar at the bottom, but I am wondering why they don't have a bold announcement of some sort on the home page that notes when the makeup days will occur. Even though parents get copies of the calendar, I doubt many people look at the bottom for makeup days. If there is school on 4/17 and 5/25, I would hope that UCPS would use alternate means to get this message out there rather than relying on people looking at the calendar. My kids are in UCPS & I have not formally been notified about the 4/17 makeup day. I think I may have gotten a Connect Ed call about school on Memorial Day though.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 PM

271 posts, read 375,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
I just looked at the Union County Schools website. I see the makeup days listed on the calendar at the bottom, but I am wondering why they don't have a bold announcement of some sort on the home page that notes when the makeup days will occur. Even though parents get copies of the calendar, I doubt many people look at the bottom for makeup days. If there is school on 4/17 and 5/25, I would hope that UCPS would use alternate means to get this message out there rather than relying on people looking at the calendar. My kids are in UCPS & I have not formally been notified about the 4/17 makeup day. I think I may have gotten a Connect Ed call about school on Memorial Day though.
04/17 makeup day was clearly stated on report card my son received yesterday from WMS.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 PM

534 posts, read 996,938 times
they don't publish them because they fear the outrage..you can bet the school OFFICE buildings will be closed that day...And, who cares what I use the day for? That's no ones business...I get only a handful AT MOST, 3 day weekends with my kids, and if I want to take them to the mountains, the beach, disney, whatever, that's not your business....Point is, people have plans for certain days, some of which are spring break and some are memorial day, now the school board has screwed both up...
--
and just for the record, my kids will NOT be in school for either one!

Old 03-13-2009, 04:37 AM

673 posts, read 1,839,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post
04/17 makeup day was clearly stated on report card my son received yesterday from WMS.
That's funny - I have one at WES & one at WHS, and this info wasn't on either of their report cards.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:21 AM

271 posts, read 375,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
That's funny - I have one at WES & one at WHS, and this info wasn't on either of their report cards.
It was listed as "School Message", just to the left of the parent signature section.

School Message:
Spring Break 04/10 to 04/16. Make up day 04/17.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:52 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,874,773 times
Here's a timely newspaper article on the topic of North Carolina's school calendar law:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/344/story/593256.html (broken link)

Old 03-13-2009, 12:39 PM

336 posts, read 530,522 times
We have not gotten anything from the schools regarding the make up days yet. I have kids in elementary and high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte