Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:56 PM

64 posts, read 208,050 times

Advertisements

Ok, has anyone tried a sedation dentist. I think that's what they are called. Could you share your experience? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 02:07 PM

393 posts, read 1,187,422 times
Please don't go there...I can't take anyone funding more "HELLO...I'm Dr. Laura Greer" commercials. UGH!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 PM

129 posts, read 338,954 times
I'm curious too....

Old 03-13-2009, 10:12 AM

I know! I'm basically a big chicken and because I'm such a chicken, I need to know from someone firsthand how it was. One of my real concerns is do you feel "drugged". I hate the feeling when you get too much nitrous oxide etc. Is it truly pain free?? Really, I just wish they could knock me out like they do for surgeries and be done with it lol I do hope someone who's actually done it posts to let us know.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:12 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratgirl View Post
Ok, has anyone tried a sedation dentist. I think that's what they are called. Could you share your experience? Thanks!
I do it, because I had a really bad experience with a Dentist when I was young. It took about 35+ years to get be back into a dentist chair. Fortunately I took really good care of my teeth and had few problems but I should not have let it go that long. Recently I had a cracked tooth and 3 fillings taken care of as well as a deep cleaning. I used Advanced Dentistry of Ballentyne for the first time. It was a great experience and never felt a twinge of pain. You are given a pill to take the morning of your appointment. You arrive and are given another pill, and after about 20 minutes you pretty much are out of it. I was kind of in and out, but mostly just out. I got a crown and 3 fillings and never felt a thing, they did 1 half of the deep cleaning and I went back for a second appointment to finish. The second time, I only did nitrous and it was fine. You are pretty woozy after the fact and they won't let you drive yourself home. I just went home and slept the rest of the afternoon and woke up fine without any pain at all.

I won't go for dental work any other way. Just know that insurance doesn't always cover the sedation part, so be aware and get all the pricing done up front.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I was kind of in and out, but mostly just out.
Didn't you feel at all panicky when you were coming "in" and realizing where you were?

Last edited by Stratgirl; 03-13-2009 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: add quotes

Old 03-13-2009, 09:08 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratgirl View Post
Didn't you feel at all panicky when you were coming "in" and realizing where you were?
Nah, you aren't really all that "in", mostly I was aware when they were repositioning the mouth piece they use to keep your mouth open. I was totally relaxed, and believe me, I get tourqued just sitting in the chair talking to the dentist. You get a good sleep through the thing, it isn't bad at all.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:33 PM

129 posts, read 403,984 times
Going to the dentist doesn't really hurt. I have gotten tooth fillings done with no novacane although the only thing that kind of hurts for a few seconds is when he cleans the tooth out to prepare the filling.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 PM

Really, hmmmm well, call me super wimp then.... you must have some tough gums! Seriously, maybe you lack nerves in your teeth?? I've never heard of that.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:52 PM

129 posts, read 403,984 times
I have nerves I feel the pain but I can tolerate the pain. I think maybe letting my wisdom teeth grow in made me immune to pain lol. I remember getting my first filling back in high school and he used novacane on me and all that numbing stuff just made me want to pass out and plus I had to go home and go to bed just because it was making me nauseated soo unless he really has to I try to avoid anesthetics as much as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte