U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:37 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,932,459 times

Advertisements

I emailed RST yesterday about availability. They replied "Plans are for 2014" for my address. I will be keeping an eye out for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 02:24 PM

793 posts, read 630,928 times
Cable and AT&T U-Verse are the fastest ISPs here. 20Mbps/2MBps downstream and at least 1MBps Up.

U-Verse isn't pure DSL. It's fiber optic up to the local telco switch then copper the rest of the way.

Cable is bad. It's always had the best rates but you can wait months to get a line problem fixed, and it's by kids on contract with no real certifications.

There is LTE if you're rich which gets around 30MBps where you can actually find coverage, you're talking hundreds of dollars just for a couple gigabyte..

Old 08-21-2013, 04:09 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,364,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Cable is bad. It's always had the best rates but you can wait months to get a line problem fixed, and it's by kids on contract with no real certifications.
Depends on your provider. I usually get a truck at my house within 24 hours and it's cable company employees.

Quote:
There is LTE if you're rich which gets around 30MBps where you can actually find coverage, you're talking hundreds of dollars just for a couple gigabyte..
Around $70/month for the first 2GB for Verizon Mifi service. Another roughly $10/GB after that. Not 'hundreds of dollars'. You also won't see 30MBps now that 4G LTE phones are popular.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Depends on your provider. I usually get a truck at my house within 24 hours and it's cable company employees.

Around $70/month for the first 2GB for Verizon Mifi service. Another roughly $10/GB after that. Not 'hundreds of dollars'. You also won't see 30MBps now that 4G LTE phones are popular.
Your post doesn't really undermine anything I said. LTE was hundreds for a 2GB-5GB monthly data plan last I looked, ~4 months ago, and Charter Cable, one of the major providers in the area, are famous for contracting people with trucks and ladders and taking a long time..

I don't watch these things real-time but look into them frequently enough to keep and average in my head. I ditched Charter years ago..

Old 08-21-2013, 09:22 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,364,444 times
I just looked at the Verizon website. $50.00/month + tax for 4GB of LTE data. It doesn't get to $100 until you go up to 14GB. That's quite a bit different from "hundreds". Their rate plans haven't changed in at least a year, since they rolled out "Share Everything".

And as far as cable being bad, you're making a broad generalization. As I said, it depends on your provider, and it really depends on the infrastructure on your street.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
I just looked at the Verizon website. $50.00/month + tax for 4GB of LTE data. It doesn't get to $100 until you go up to 14GB. That's quite a bit different from "hundreds". Their rate plans haven't changed in at least a year, since they rolled out "Share Everything".

And as far as cable being bad, you're making a broad generalization. As I said, it depends on your provider, and it really depends on the infrastructure on your street.

They didn't even have 4-12 GB when I looked, and even the 2GB was more than $30. It IS possible things have changed with a company that sales a product based on monthly rates, believe it or not.. Especially considering when I looked providers were still rolling out the LTE grids and there were maybe 4 devices on the market with the chip to support it..

P.S. people who try to one-up off such trivial subjects and minor inconsistencies are more annoying than intimidating. Factoring in the likelihood of having to buy additional bandwidth because typical low-content websites are around 6MB and average streaming videos are >100MB, my specs aren't really exaggerated. My perspective is more likely to make someone shopping for such a plan properly prepared to do so than someone with the buy-whatever-you-think-you'll-need agenda or suggestion..

Old 08-23-2013, 08:12 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,932,459 times
Quote:
They didn't even have 4-12 GB when I looked, and even the 2GB was more than $30. It IS possible things have changed with a company that sales a product based on monthly rates, believe it or not.. Especially considering when I looked providers were still rolling out the LTE grids and there were maybe 4 devices on the market with the chip to support it..

P.S. people who try to one-up off such trivial subjects and minor inconsistencies are more annoying than intimidating. Factoring in the likelihood of having to buy additional bandwidth because typical low-content websites are around 6MB and average streaming videos are >100MB, my specs aren't really exaggerated. My perspective is more likely to make someone shopping for such a plan properly prepared to do so than someone with the buy-whatever-you-think-you'll-need agenda or suggestion..
I don't think someone is trying to "one-up" you, they are trying to give correct and up-to-date information. It sounds like your information is way out of date. Verizon has had 4gb-12gb plans for at least a year.

I don't believe that cellular data plans were meant to be used at home as a main internet connection. It was meant for use on cell phones and tablets for basic internet access and some moderate streaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte