U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:20 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,755,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post
I just tried Palone's in the Fountains yesterday based on this thread here, and I still think Tony's in Ballantyne is better. I didn't think Palone's crust had great flavor (none, actually), and I found it a little too thick and gooey. It's definitely more Long Island, NY, style. Tony's has a thinner, crispier crust (more Jersey style).

I'm a native NY'er, and tho I confess that NYC kicks NJ's butt on everything else--the pizza in NJ is better than NY's. [Yes, my native NJ hubby is smiling right now].
Havent tried Palones yet but I will def 2nd that Tony's was incredible and yes loved the crust, it reminded me of Brooklyn back in the day growing up...Lisa I will say this NJ pizza is better than Staten Island Pizza, Brooklyn the jusry is still out on that one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 05:55 AM

348 posts, read 317,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Ok that must be the problem, I'm looking for the thin crispier crust even kind of burned. I think my referrals are coming from Long Island people and that's not the pizza I'm looking for.
You can ask Tony to make your pizza overdone. But if you're looking for that really, really skinny pizza bordering on almost that gourmet style. Brixx gives you that. Their eat-in is good, their take-out is terrible. But, still, it's no Tony's.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:56 AM

348 posts, read 317,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
Havent tried Palones yet but I will def 2nd that Tony's was incredible and yes loved the crust, it reminded me of Brooklyn back in the day growing up...Lisa I will say this NJ pizza is better than Staten Island Pizza, Brooklyn the jusry is still out on that one
You're right, NJMom! Brooklyn pizza is also the same as NJ style---thinner, crispier. Yum!

Old 04-21-2007, 07:02 AM

240 posts, read 926,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Ok that must be the problem, I'm looking for the thin crispier crust even kind of burned. I think my referrals are coming from Long Island people and that's not the pizza I'm looking for.
I think Tony's would fit the bill for you. Another really good extra-thin crust place is Luigi's on S. Tryon (at the back of the Walmart shopping center on S. Tryon, right off the S. Tryon exit on 485)... I think others have mentioned that on place on this thread, and it's defintiely very good.

A third place to try, which is a little different from the others, is Luisa's Brick Oven Pizza. They're near the intersection of Woodlawn Rd and Montford Drive in a small shopping center with a Blockbuster in it (across the street from George Pappas Park Lanes bowling alley). It's not really the traditional NY/NJ pizza as the slices are very small, but the crust is extremely thin, everything is cooked in a brick oven (so the crust is crisp and a bit burned), and it tastes really good! They have a daily lunch buffet, which would be a good time to try it out. They might have even extended the lunch buffet to the weekends now, but I'd call first to confirm. It looks like a hole in a wall on the inside (plastic table cloths, and the chairs are basically those inexpensive plastic patio furniture type chairs), but it's worth a trip

Old 04-23-2007, 10:06 AM

999 posts, read 4,252,539 times
Default Tried some

Well, we were house hunting Sat, I had just driven to Charlotte with the kids, the dog, dropped the dog off at the apartment, picked up my husband and we headed to Concord to look around. We were STARVING...we got off the exit near the speedway, ended up passing the speedway on our Right, can't remember the street....Think routh 29. Anyhow saw someplace called Brooklyn Pizza ( I think), but I didn't have my list I compiled from here to see if it was recommended....I popped in to see if they sold by the slice, as we were in a hurry, they did, it LOOKED good....Well, I was in Heaven......not the best Pizza I've had, but certainly better than anything I've tried in the past 8 mos since moving to Fayetteville!! They don't appear to be on my list unless they're a chain of the Brooklyn pizza mentioned in Cornelius or something. I'll bring my list next time and plan to go to one of the ones mentioned. THANKS for all the suggestions!
Joan

Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,755,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post
You're right, NJMom! Brooklyn pizza is also the same as NJ style---thinner, crispier. Yum!

Well-Done is the only way to eat it..LMAO...

Old 04-23-2007, 05:29 PM

222 posts, read 631,580 times
Default Tony's

Tried Tony's Pizza today not bad, the kids loved it. A little pricey but will go again. Still working on Sea's list

Old 04-23-2007, 09:38 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,621,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawks80 View Post
I think Tony's would fit the bill for you. Another really good extra-thin crust place is Luigi's on S. Tryon (at the back of the Walmart shopping center on S. Tryon, right off the S. Tryon exit on 485)... I think others have mentioned that on place on this thread, and it's defintiely very good.

A third place to try, which is a little different from the others, is Luisa's Brick Oven Pizza. They're near the intersection of Woodlawn Rd and Montford Drive in a small shopping center with a Blockbuster in it (across the street from George Pappas Park Lanes bowling alley). It's not really the traditional NY/NJ pizza as the slices are very small, but the crust is extremely thin, everything is cooked in a brick oven (so the crust is crisp and a bit burned), and it tastes really good! They have a daily lunch buffet, which would be a good time to try it out. They might have even extended the lunch buffet to the weekends now, but I'd call first to confirm. It looks like a hole in a wall on the inside (plastic table cloths, and the chairs are basically those inexpensive plastic patio furniture type chairs), but it's worth a trip

Yeah I think Tony's may be the place also. I'll ask him to make it dark like I like it. Thank you so much for the other suggestions.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,533 times
Default Charlotte NY Pizza Review: Palone's has good pie, but horrible service isn't worth it

Live in Marvin now, but have lived all over country. 2 foods my wife and I always try to find is good NY/Brooklyn style pizza (pie) and Cuban food. Here is my take on what we have found in Charlotte so far:

Established local chains:
Fuel is good pizza and they don't pretend to provide service so that is ok
Brixx is not, unless you are into California Style pizza then it is

Mario's across from Siskey YMCA decent and good service for sit down (pie not as good delivered but better than most delivering to Marvin)

Rendini's in Waxhaw ok pizza, but good ambience and so so service.

Zio's great NY Italian fare all around. Family from Binghamton/Endicott area where they call 'em "Hot Pies". Fresh pasta, great service. Anyone from tri-cities/upstate area will feel like they are home here.

NY style place up by lake Norman/Huntersville really good (can't remember name though but I think it is something like "NY Pizza") Too far for me.

Have not tried Tony's in Ballantyne but will.

Went to Palone's a bunch of times when it first opened and was excited to have such a good pizza so close. Really good pie. Solid Italian/PR guy makes good pizza. Not sure who runs the place, but they will take this place off the map soon with horrible service. For the prices they charge, and the rent they have to pay in the country club shoping center; "The Fountains", you have to deliver service in addition to good food. Pay attention to the single slices. They let them sit too long, but still seem to have no problem selling them anyway (kind of silly considering cost of keeping a fresh pie handy during busy times is negligible). Quite a few tables to dine in, but there is no wait staff. Seems like almost everyone in restaurant was constantly getting up to remind someone about their order, ask for the correct topping that they ordered, or send something back for re-heating. Initially, I cut them some slack on the service because they had recently opened. No excuses now. Surly young woman behind the register definately not a "people person". Like the pie and will follow the pizza chef if he ever leaves, but will not go back to Palone's based on lousy service.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
Live in Marvin now, but have lived all over country. 2 foods my wife and I always try to find is good NY/Brooklyn style pizza (pie) and Cuban food. Here is my take on what we have found in Charlotte so far:

Established local chains:
Fuel is good pizza and they don't pretend to provide service so that is ok
Brixx is not, unless you are into California Style pizza then it is

Mario's across from Siskey YMCA decent and good service for sit down (pie not as good delivered but better than most delivering to Marvin)

Rendini's in Waxhaw ok pizza, but good ambience and so so service.

Zio's great NY Italian fare all around. Family from Binghamton/Endicott area where they call 'em "Hot Pies". Fresh pasta, great service. Anyone from tri-cities/upstate area will feel like they are home here.

NY style place up by lake Norman/Huntersville really good (can't remember name though but I think it is something like "NY Pizza") Too far for me.

Have not tried Tony's in Ballantyne but will.

Went to Palone's a bunch of times when it first opened and was excited to have such a good pizza so close. Really good pie. Solid Italian/PR guy makes good pizza. Not sure who runs the place, but they will take this place off the map soon with horrible service. For the prices they charge, and the rent they have to pay in the country club shoping center; "The Fountains", you have to deliver service in addition to good food. Pay attention to the single slices. They let them sit too long, but still seem to have no problem selling them anyway (kind of silly considering cost of keeping a fresh pie handy during busy times is negligible). Quite a few tables to dine in, but there is no wait staff. Seems like almost everyone in restaurant was constantly getting up to remind someone about their order, ask for the correct topping that they ordered, or send something back for re-heating. Initially, I cut them some slack on the service because they had recently opened. No excuses now. Surly young woman behind the register definately not a "people person". Like the pie and will follow the pizza chef if he ever leaves, but will not go back to Palone's based on lousy service.
I have been to Palone's many times and I think you couldn't be more wrong. I will tell you, you may have to wait on line, especially on a Friday night, but I do know the owners and they are great people and their staff has always been nothing but courteous. As for table service? It's a pizza place! Not to mention there food is delicous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte