U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:10 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,863,452 times

Advertisements

Dawn, I'm hearing the same thing. I come from a long line of teachers, many of them coming up on 30 years. Their thoughts were to retire at 30 years, stay out the required time, then rehire and go the second career. In the current market, they are afraid to work that plan because 1) Their income in their last year impacts their retirement - and with bonuses being cut, etc., this seems not the year to do it; and 2) they can't be assured of being rehired. So, they are not letting go at this time.

And, this means my recent college-graduate teacher daughter is going to have a very tough time getting her foot in the door this year...(wonder what happens when the student loans come due in six months? Tick-tock, tick-tock...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 01:33 PM

15 posts, read 27,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Just a thought....if you are not being laid off at your current job, I would NOT leave!

Friends in similar positions (teaching, counseling, or admin) have told me that even though they really want to change positions (districts or levels such as teaching to admin) they really feel this is NOT the time to do it.

Even if you are offered a job, if there are more lay-offs, you will be the first to go without seniority.

Dawn
As I knew, at the end of my third year, I was pink-slipped by my principal. Not because my students test scores are low, or that I do not go above and beyond what is asked of me, or for not completing professional duties, but simply because my principal does not like me. He is unprofessional and unethical and just as much as he doesn't want me there I don't want to be there working under him. He delivered my pink-slip while in an office with others I guess to garner a response. He delivered my collegue's slip to her while she had students in her classroom. I had been told to turn him in to AEA, but that's not a battle I want to fight. Nor did I want my department heads to talk to him as they have or the superintendent as they plan to, because for you to let a teacher that is highly qualified and certified in science go, instead of a teacher that comes to work at 9 or leaves at 12 when our school hours are 7:45 - 3:20 means that this is clearly a personal attack and you just wanted to get rid of me and not do what was best for students which is surround them with people that care for them, when you clearly don't when during the first semester he asked for a re-assignment from the superintedent even though he didn't get there until September.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:35 PM

15 posts, read 27,833 times
My principal has already been reported to AEA for telling our English teacher who is Middle Eastern that he class was like Iraq and Afghanistan and he continues to work!!! Clearly we know who is important the principal not the teachers because it is okay for him to disrespect then whenever he choses.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:49 PM

2,144 posts, read 2,339,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Dawn, I'm hearing the same thing. I come from a long line of teachers, many of them coming up on 30 years. Their thoughts were to retire at 30 years, stay out the required time, then rehire and go the second career. In the current market, they are afraid to work that plan because 1) Their income in their last year impacts their retirement - and with bonuses being cut, etc., this seems not the year to do it; and 2) they can't be assured of being rehired. So, they are not letting go at this time.

And, this means my recent college-graduate teacher daughter is going to have a very tough time getting her foot in the door this year...(wonder what happens when the student loans come due in six months? Tick-tock, tick-tock...)
marvinnative There is a simple point of your number 1 you are missing. NC teacher retirement is figured on an average of your highest 4 years of income. Most of the time that is your last 4 years, but there are many occasions where that is not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or