U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-17-2009, 09:10 AM

35,578 posts, read 43,814,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It just means that I get a lot of great buys when I go shopping at Belk's.
There really are a lot of great buys out there - not just on clothing, but on all sorts of hoursehold items, as well. I am getting notices about extra mark downs on tools, household appliances, outdoor items, etc. Sears just had an online markdown that was available ONLY online.

If you need a new washer, fridge or grill, for ex. - and can afford it - now is the time to get really good bargains. I have been thinking about this b/c we do need a new grill - have been putting it off since we moved here. We have a smoker and a small weber (charcoal) and would like a gas grill. However, I am worried about spending the cash. So I am looking for a deal w/ six months - same as cash. That way, I can make payments every month and feel better about spending money. I think a lot of people are going to be more inclined to do this if they can find a deal like that. If retailers are smart, they will start offering those types of plans.

We looked at grills on the way back from the airport last week . . . and unfortunately, everything we wanted was over our budget. There are lots of very substantial looking grills out there - w/ very substantial price tags attached (even with markdowns/sales). If someone doesn't come up w/ a better price point on something sturdy . . . even w/ a good financing deal (no interest for six months) - we won't be buying this year. We will just stick w/ our very reliable 15 y/o Weber.

I did see some good prices on small appliances along the way . . . but also was shocked at how much it will cost to replace my washer/dryer. They are 15 y/o now and I got top of the line Maytags when we purchased. If they die any time soon, even w/ mark downs, I can't see myself spending $2000 + on a new washer and dryer. I have a feeling people are going to get a lot more interested in buying off craigslist for used appliances if it is gonna cost that much to replace items.

The thing I have been thinking about is . . . when the economy gets back in gear, will interest rates start climbing? Will inflation kick in? And then - how much MORE will those appliances cost in 18 - 24 months? I am thinking if one can find a bargain now and can find a good financing deal . . . now might be the time to buy. But ssshheeezzzz - over $2000 for a washer and dryer? I don't think so.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:35 AM

13,180 posts, read 13,215,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There really are a lot of great buys out there - not just on clothing, but on all sorts of hoursehold items, as well. I am getting notices about extra mark downs on tools, household appliances, outdoor items, etc. Sears just had an online markdown that was available ONLY online.

If you need a new washer, fridge or grill, for ex. - and can afford it - now is the time to get really good bargains. I have been thinking about this b/c we do need a new grill - have been putting it off since we moved here. We have a smoker and a small weber (charcoal) and would like a gas grill. However, I am worried about spending the cash. So I am looking for a deal w/ six months - same as cash. That way, I can make payments every month and feel better about spending money. I think a lot of people are going to be more inclined to do this if they can find a deal like that. If retailers are smart, they will start offering those types of plans.

We looked at grills on the way back from the airport last week . . . and unfortunately, everything we wanted was over our budget. There are lots of very substantial looking grills out there - w/ very substantial price tags attached (even with markdowns/sales). If someone doesn't come up w/ a better price point on something sturdy . . . even w/ a good financing deal (no interest for six months) - we won't be buying this year. We will just stick w/ our very reliable 15 y/o Weber.

I did see some good prices on small appliances along the way . . . but also was shocked at how much it will cost to replace my washer/dryer. They are 15 y/o now and I got top of the line Maytags when we purchased. If they die any time soon, even w/ mark downs, I can't see myself spending $2000 + on a new washer and dryer. I have a feeling people are going to get a lot more interested in buying off craigslist for used appliances if it is gonna cost that much to replace items.

The thing I have been thinking about is . . . when the economy gets back in gear, will interest rates start climbing? Will inflation kick in? And then - how much MORE will those appliances cost in 18 - 24 months? I am thinking if one can find a bargain now and can find a good financing deal . . . now might be the time to buy. But ssshheeezzzz - over $2000 for a washer and dryer? I don't think so.
Ani, check Lowes & Home Depot for the grills & appliances.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, check Lowes & Home Depot for the grills & appliances.
Thanx, SB. There are bargains out there . . . if one searches. We did find a grill we liked at Lowes (a Weber! LOL!) but it was over our budget. Unfortunately, Lowes is not offering six months "same as cash" deals on their grills. I know it may sound crazy, but I just won't buy anything right now unless I can spread out payments. What cash I have . . . I want to hang onto. Let's face it . . . people like me who are worried about the future and don't want to pay cash probably should simply defer the purchase until we feel more secure about spending money. However, that is not gonna get merchandise off sales floors if everyone tends to think like I do. If merchants would offer us a way to spread payments out w/ no interest . . . then they could move their goods.

I think most people are hesitant to shell out the cash right now and don't want to use credit cards. Retailers need to think that through . . . anyone else remember "layaway?" That is how I purchased a lot of things when I was straight out of college.

In tough times, we are all gonna have to think of better ways to stretch the cash.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:59 AM

22,072 posts, read 40,089,853 times
I thought it was a smart move on Kmart to bring back layaway. It gives that company a competitive edge over the other 2 chains. The only problem is it hard to find a Kmart anymore

Old 03-17-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I thought it was a smart move on Kmart to bring back layaway. It gives that company a competitive edge over the other 2 chains. The only problem is it hard to find a Kmart anymore
It is a very good strategy. Heck, when I was six, I put a doll on layaway MYSELF. Went in and worked it out w/ the manager of the store. Okay, he knew my daddy. But I took my 25 cents every Saturday to pay for my doll.

It taught me something. I saved up every penny I had, made a downpayment, and then had something to look forward to weekly in anticipation of getting my doll out of layaway. I think it taught me how to plan!

There is a K-Mart here on 51.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Thanx, SB. There are bargains out there . . . if one searches. We did find a grill we liked at Lowes (a Weber! LOL!) but it was over our budget. Unfortunately, Lowes is not offering six months "same as cash" deals on their grills. I know it may sound crazy, but I just won't buy anything right now unless I can spread out payments. What cash I have . . . I want to hang onto. Let's face it . . . people like me who are worried about the future and don't want to pay cash probably should simply defer the purchase until we feel more secure about spending money. However, that is not gonna get merchandise off sales floors if everyone tends to think like I do. If merchants would offer us a way to spread payments out w/ no interest . . . then they could move their goods.

I think most people are hesitant to shell out the cash right now and don't want to use credit cards. Retailers need to think that through . . . anyone else remember "layaway?" That is how I purchased a lot of things when I was straight out of college.

In tough times, we are all gonna have to think of better ways to stretch the cash.
Just thought I'd throw that out, Ani. I've been running between Sears, Home Depot, & Lowes.

Can you call the Gastonia stores to see if they have in store specials, or will work a deal? The HD & Lowea are practically next to each other on Franklin & Sears isn't far from them. They are extremely competitive. They know that if they don't give you what you want, you'll go down the road.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Just thought I'd throw that out, Ani. I've been running between Sears, Home Depot, & Lowes.

Can you call the Gastonia stores to see if they have in store specials, or will work a deal? The HD & Lowea are practically next to each other on Franklin & Sears isn't far from them. They are extremely competitive. They know that if they don't give you what you want, you'll go down the road.
Well, what we have decided is to just watch and wait and as you said - keep checking out deals. Let's face it - buying a gas grill is not a "must" purchase. Those hotdogs taste great on the ole charcoal Weber, Hee Hee!!!!

I guess my whole point of bringing it up is . . . to point out that there are probably others like me who would buy things that would help out w/ getting the economy moving . . . but if there are literally hundreds of thousands of people with my mindset - that we are reluctant to part w/ cash - then merchants are gonna have to be innovative about how to make that sale to us. It is gonna take some smart moves on merchants' parts to get people out there to buy products that are not necessities.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Well, what we have decided is to just watch and wait and as you said - keep checking out deals. Let's face it - buying a gas grill is not a "must" purchase. Those hotdogs taste great on the ole charcoal Weber, Hee Hee!!!!

I guess my whole point of bringing it up is . . . to point out that there are probably others like me who would buy things that would help out w/ getting the economy moving . . . but if there are literally hundreds of thousands of people with my mindset - that we are reluctant to part w/ cash - then merchants are gonna have to be innovative about how to make that sale to us. It is gonna take some smart moves on merchants' parts to get people out there to buy products that are not necessities.
LOL, I understand, Ani. Actually, I've been looking at charcoal grills, myself. I'd rather have charcoal than gas.

I'd like to see more layaway, too.

I suggested the Gastonia stores because the retail fears here are being fueled by the latest round of mill closures & layoffs. If it's not a bottom of the line item, most of the stores are willing to do a deal.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,979,349 times
Quote:

ani - With the dire economic circumstances going on, it becomes a decision about "wants" and "needs". People are thinking long and hard about their spending and are finally realizing that "needs" trump "wants". Unfortunately, that delays any economic recovery to an extent.

When did washers and dryers become fashion accessories? I know front-load washers are more efficient, but they do command a premium price especially when you pair them with the matching expensive dryer and pedestal stands. Then you have to think about the color-Cherry Red, Blue, Green or Black. A nice set costs more than my first new car!

sb295 - I know exactly what you mean about charcoal grills. They make me think of when I was a kid and the anticipation of waiting for the coals to heat up and those backyard cookouts. But you can't beat a gas grill for producing quick hamburgers and hotdogs! But you do give up a little flavor tho'.

In any event, I always rely on my trusty ol' Consumer Reports to see what are the highest rated washers or grills and what are the "best buys" which tend to have less features but are still highly rated. I'm a great believer in compromise! I'd like the Lexus LS 460 but end up buying the Honda!

NCN - I tend to hang around with older folks, some of whom you know, hoping to get the "senior discount". Discontinued items tend to receive the best discounts too! Shop On!!!!!

Old 03-17-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani - With the dire economic circumstances going on, it becomes a decision about "wants" and "needs". People are thinking long and hard about their spending and are finally realizing that "needs" trump "wants". Unfortunately, that delays any economic recovery to an extent.

When did washers and dryers become fashion accessories? I know front-load washers are more efficient, but they do command a premium price especially when you pair them with the matching expensive dryer and pedestal stands. Then you have to think about the color-Cherry Red, Blue, Green or Black. A nice set costs more than my first new car!

sb295 - I know exactly what you mean about charcoal grills. They make me think of when I was a kid and the anticipation of waiting for the coals to heat up and those backyard cookouts. But you can't beat a gas grill for producing quick hamburgers and hotdogs! But you do give up a little flavor tho'.

In any event, I always rely on my trusty ol' Consumer Reports to see what are the highest rated washers or grills and what are the "best buys" which tend to have less features but are still highly rated. I'm a great believer in compromise! I'd like the Lexus LS 460 but end up buying the Honda!

NCN - I tend to hang around with older folks, some of whom you know, hoping to get the "senior discount". Discontinued items tend to receive the best discounts too! Shop On!!!!!
LOL, Emissary, when I grill I don't need it to be quick.

I am buying things that normally would be in the want column, because I left a lot of stuff in Jersey, because it just wasn't new enough to move (like appliances). Also, because of buying the foreclosure, I'm needing things that are normally wants. I've found that, because of the economy, I can get different deals in Shelby than in Gastonia. That means that what I need determines which direction I go in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte