Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 07:04 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,594 times

Advertisements

My gosh, is there ANYONE still in Long Island...LOL?

I'm thinking the way to revitalize some of our areas would be to create "planned" communities and name them after places in NY or NJ.
Build a Jewish community center and create a neighborhood around it.
Make sure to bring the bagels and deli, and don't forget the NY-style pizza!
I think nearly everyone in this forum is daily asking about all of these.
Maybe some developer/planner could do something with this idea....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 07:14 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Hey Marvin, Now I like that IDEA...lol

Old 03-23-2007, 07:20 PM

620 posts, read 2,118,932 times
Well, according to the last census there is still 7 million people on Long Island (that is including Brooklyn and Queens - more around 3 million if you just consider Nassau and Suffolk Counties), so yes.

It is not as bad on LI as people make it out to be...

PS - I like the idea of naming places after places in NY. The towns have much better names there - I mean Waxhaw, Marvin, Gastonia, Sherrills Ford? Weird - Weddington is a nice name though.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:25 PM

77 posts, read 461,323 times
I'm still left here crying in my beer. My whole family except one sister has moved to GA or NC. Now my last NY sister is moving to GA.

My two grown kids are in NC.I will get to NC eventually. It better be sooner rather than later. I'm ready for Part two in my life.A new place to live with new adventures.

I feel like I'm making Southwest Airlines rich from all the flying my husband and I do. (sigh)

Old 03-23-2007, 07:26 PM

Default My Search for the Perfect Pizza

OK - This one is for all you looking for that pizza!

Saturday, April 21 at 2 pm
American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza
With Author and Chef, Peter Reinhart

Please join us at the Union West Regional Library as Peter Reinhart speaks on his search for the perfect pizza. Peter is the author of American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza, The Bread Baker’s Apprentice, and Brother Juniper’s Bakery. He is now the full-time Chef on Assignment at Johnson and Wales University in Charlotte. He also appears monthly on WFAE’s Charlotte Talks with Mike Collins to discuss various topics from the world of food and culture. As a bread expert, Peter has spoken extensively on bread as a metaphor in the search for meaningfulness and mission in life. A book sale and signing will follow program. The program is geared toward adults and children in 5th grade and higher. Pizza slices will be served, compliments of Rossini's Italian Restaurant, New York Pizza & Pasta, and Si's Pizzeria. Contact Betsy Cullen at 704-821-7475 for more information. Program is free and open to the public. This program is sponsored by the Friends of the Union County Public Libraries.

For more FREE things to do, go to www.union.lib.nc.us/
click on PROGRAMS

Old 03-23-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Names for area towns....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
P.S. I like the idea of naming places after places in NY. The towns have much better names there - I mean Waxhaw, Marvin, Gastonia, Sherrills Ford? Weird - Weddington is a nice name though.
I guess the town names would mean more to you if you were from here:

Marvin From the Marvin United Methodist Church website: http://www.gbgm-umc.org/marvinnc/history.html
Marvin community (before it was a town) was named after the Marvin United Methodist Church, which was named in October, 1875 after a United Methodist Bishop named E.M. Marvin. When the Village incorporated on July 1, 1994, it took the community name.

Waxhaw
Waxhaw was named for a tribe of Indians -
From Museum of the Waxhaws website: http://www.perigee.net/~mwaxhaw/ (broken link)
"Long before European explorers came to the Americas, the Waxhaw Indians inhabited the area near Cane Creek in the Catawba River Valley. They were a small tribe of the Siouan language group. The origin of their name is not known for sure but it may mean 'People of the Cane,' in the common trade language used between native groups. Like most native populations in the area, they tended to congregate and build small settlements near the rivers, which provided food, transportation, and of course, water."

Weddington - From the Town of Weddington's website: http://www.townofweddington.com/history.cfm (broken link)
"The Town of Weddington started in the 1760's with the first massive migration of Northerners of European decent. The community began to emerge in 1824 when Reuben Boswell, a veteran of the Revolutionary War from Virginia, donated four acres to the Sandy Ridge Methodist Episcopal Church.

Reuben Boswell Weddington, Reuben Boswell's grandson, was born in 1826 and left a lasting legacy to the community, which now bears his name. In recognition of his generous contributions to the church and community, the church was renamed Weddington Methodist Church in 1899. The community took its name from the church. When the North Carolina General Assembly incorporated this area as a town in 1983, it became the Town of Weddington."

Maybe someone else can fill you in on Gastonia and Sherrill's Ford. I'm sure there is some historic reason behind their names...

Old 03-23-2007, 08:25 PM

620 posts, read 2,118,932 times
I know the places are named for historical reasons, I just find some of them to not be very flattering.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:44 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,744 times
Not to rain on your parade, but I think that is a horrible idea. I too am moving from Long Island to NC but am not looking to make NC another LI. Why change anything. When my wife and I came here looking at the area as a possible new place to live we loved everything about it and is the reason why we are moving here. If everything started turning into LI, I can honestly say that we would reconsider our decision. Unlike a lot of people we are not moving here just so we can afford a beautiful home but more for the life style and quality of life that NC can provide. The feeling I have come up with from these forums about the natives attitudes of transplants and why they don't always welcome us with open arms is because there are so many who come down here and want to change the area. Yeah, opening up a NY style Deli or Pizzaria is not a bad idea but building clusters of neighborhoods or areas named after NY for all NYers to clump themselves together is backwards IMHO. Maybe if you are looking for that, than you should re-consider your move. I know for myself I would rather come down here and try to blend in and not necasserily change the area. I personally like the idea of friendly people and a little slower lifestyle. Also if you are moving down here just so you can afford a big beautiful new home and not for any other reason, than you will be unhappy with your decision. Now let me go put on my flame retardant suit because I know I am going to get flamed for this post.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Flattering names?

Quote:
I know the places are named for historical reasons, I just find some of them to not be very flattering.
I suppose it was flattering for the Marvin's and Weddington's - and if there were still any members of the Waxhaw Indian Tribe, them, too.

Seriously, you are going to complain about the names of our towns, too?

Remind me, again, what is attracting folks here?

Old 03-24-2007, 09:47 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Oh, I see what you mean...after all names like Poughkeepsie, Sodus, North Elba, Depew and my personal favorite, Port JERVIS, are so much more flattering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte