U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:56 PM

79 posts, read 138,876 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Charlotte about 6 months ago and was considering purchasing a handgun. I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with the steps that need to be taken to not only purchase one, but also gain a license to carry and conceal as well. It's my understanding that I need to apply for a permit to simply purchase one and the wait can be quite lengthy. Any info would be appreciated as I think I have already found the one I like. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 12:53 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,414,745 times
If you want to get a purchase permit, you can pick pne up at the Sheriff's office or at any gun store. Fill out the purchase permit form and send it in with $5 per permit, up to 3 permits in Meck Co.

If you want to get a concealed carry license, you need to take a NC CCW course. You can find info on the web or from most gun shops.

You're not too far from Firepower in Matthews. They offer CCW classes. They do fill up pretty quick and can vary in cost.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:02 AM

630 posts, read 1,675,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnee View Post
I have already found the one I like.
What are you planning to get? You also may want to look at the online auction gun site to see how their prices compare.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:09 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,727,961 times
Once you obtain a NC CCW license, you don't need to get the permit from the sheriff. Your CCW will act as your permit.

Just FYI, technically, you're supposed to get a permit from the sheriff even for private sales. This is also prudent to know before gun shows. Stock up on permits if you plan on purchasing anything at the show.

Just FYI to everyone interested, since it's related here, some NC senators and rep's are gearing up to once again present a Castle Doctrine bill (http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=4587 - broken link). Let's hope it doesn't get "referred to committee" again, for the third time.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:14 AM

407 posts, read 727,218 times
What is the procedure if you are moving into the county, from out of state, and already own a handgun?

Old 03-17-2009, 07:19 AM

630 posts, read 1,675,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
What is the procedure if you are moving into the county, from out of state, and already own a handgun?
I've been told you don't have to do anything. You can register it with your local police station but you don't have to. This info coming from my friend who is an FFL dealer including class 3

Old 03-17-2009, 08:02 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,671,859 times
Never register your guns!

Regarding purchases, you never need a permit to purchase if you get your CCW. Take the course and set an appointment to apply for CCW as soon as possible. I had to wait 2 months just to apply! Once you apply, they say it will take the full 90 days, but I got mine in about 70 days.

Until then, you can go to the Sheriff's office and apply for up to 3 permits to purchase PER APPLICATION. You receive your permits in about 20 minutes after you apply. What this means is, you can stay up there all day long and submit as many applications as you want. So you could probably get 6 per hour at that rate.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:31 AM

19,817 posts, read 55,819,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
Most states recognize each other's CCW permits if you have one. In my case, I have a Utah CCW but NC is one of the few states that doesn't reciprocate. Every state I would drive through on my way to NC does receognize my CCW. Go figure!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:59 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,713,153 times
[quote=SouthernBelleInUtah;7922465]Most states recognize each other's CCW permits if you have one.

Most states have reciprocity with states in their region. For example, Utah has reciprocity with Wa., Id., Mt., Wy., Co., Az., S.D., Ok., Mo., and Texas. North Carolina has reciprocity with, N.H., Pa., Mi., In., Oh., Ky., Va., Tn., Ar., La., Ms., Al., Ga., Fl., and South Carolina. In addition to this list of reciprocity states, some states will "honor" another states CCW permit. Of course there are some states that definately do not honor certain state's permit. For what it is worth, you have my permission to conceal your weapon. Just make sure you have the safety on. LOL!

Last edited by vindaloo; 03-17-2009 at 10:07 AM..

Old 03-17-2009, 12:00 PM

19,817 posts, read 55,819,182 times
Actually, the only reason I got the CCW was in preparation for my move to CLT, so I wouldn't have any problem on the drive over. That move is now off, unhappily. I don't really "carry" but it's nice to know I could if I wanted to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or