U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 PM

3,151 posts, read 3,139,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
we'll be moving to waxhaw as soon as our house in ny sells. can't wait to move!
It's a great place. Hope you love it as much as I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 01:43 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
I can certainly understand every point of view. We went through the same thing on Long Island. In fact before Hollywood invaded The Hamptons, it was a great place to go and now it is rediculously unaffordable even for people that have money. We Long Islanders still get upset at the traffic and the "invasion" of outsiders. But that influx of "money" really saved Long Island and grew the economy. So even though locals might be a bit ticked off at all of the transplants in Charlotte, the money that is coming in and the explosion of new construction is benefiting everyones pocket. But again, I can see all points of view on this.
My problem is with the title of this thread, which for anyone who knows Waxhaw, is just ridiculous.
Waxhaw has been a wonderful little community for about 2 centuries, always a nice place to live. And really, it did not "need" this explosion of new growth AT ALL.

Far as I can see the ones benefiting are those of you using it to have a great place to live in your mcmansions while avoiding all the high taxes the northeast is famous for

I'm just saying...it's ludicris to think YOU are benefiting Waxhaw, when in reality Waxhaw is benefiting you (and I mean the collective you, not you personally )

Old 03-17-2009, 01:49 PM

92 posts, read 244,590 times
Well - I think there are a bunch of places to find a beautiful home in Waxhaw at a great price that wilol guarantee to increase once the glimmer of hope appears in the real estate market - my one hope is that the county bosses don't continue to develop the open areas of Waxhaw that continue to give it it's 'away from it all feel'. The drive from my house up to Ardrey Kell Road is so pleasant when the sun is shining.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:55 PM

The title of the thread truly is a response to an earlier thread which made Waxhaw out to be a hellhole because of all the road and traffic problems, I really can see an end to the road buildiing and it will be so nice. Also I think its easy to look at someone else's home area and give a negative point of view, because after all, all the negative talk won't affect you. I try not to put negatives on threads because I believe it gives a false overall impression and stops people even looking at an area that they might just love.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:01 PM

3,151 posts, read 3,139,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My problem is with the title of this thread, which for anyone who knows Waxhaw, is just ridiculous.
Waxhaw has been a wonderful little community for about 2 centuries, always a nice place to live. And really, it did not "need" this explosion of new growth AT ALL.

Far as I can see the ones benefiting are those of you using it to have a great place to live in your mcmansions while avoiding all the high taxes the northeast is famous for

I'm just saying...it's ludicris to think YOU are benefiting Waxhaw, when in reality Waxhaw is benefiting you (and I mean the collective you, not you personally )
Well...I respect your opinion but not all of "us" bought McMansions, and one persons McMansion is another persons average house.

As far as who benefits..that is your opinion, and we are all entitled to have one of those..aren't we. But for me..Waxhaw as I see it (not as it was) fits what I like. Not just the surroundings, but the people I have met (so far). But I undestand the hostility that I sense in some peoples postings. People are always protective of where they were born or have lived most of their lives, and we (the money grubbing transplants) do have to make an effort to understand poeples points of view and attitude towards those of us who chose to relocate there.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Well...I respect your opinion but not all of "us" bought McMansions, and one persons McMansion is another persons average house.

As far as who benefits..that is your opinion, and we are all entitled to have one of those..aren't we. But for me..Waxhaw as I see it (not as it was) fits what I like. Not just the surroundings, but the people I have met (so far). But I undestand the hostility that I sense in some peoples postings. People are always protective of where they were born or have lived most of their lives, and we (the money grubbing transplants) do have to make an effort to understand poeples points of view and attitude towards those of us who chose to relocate there.
I don't have a dog in this fight, as I don't live in Waxhaw. Like you, I am only stating a different point of view, one that echoes how some natives in Waxhaw might feel

I think your attitude and concern for natives attitudes will get you far and win you many friends in your new home town

Old 03-17-2009, 02:11 PM

I came to Waxhaw from out of state beautiful area close to mountains with lower taxes than Waxhaw, so your NY theory doesn't work for me and I chose this place because it had the same feel for my kids sake

Old 03-17-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2va2nc View Post
I came to Waxhaw from out of state beautiful area close to mountains with lower taxes than Waxhaw, so your NY theory doesn't work for me and I chose this place because it had the same feel for my kids sake
You are in the minority then as most newcomers to Waxhaw hail from the NY/NJ area.

Again, my problem is with the title of your thread. You wrote,
"Waxhaw is quickly turning from a hellhole into a great opportunity for newcomers to the area" - which implies that Waxhaw has been a hellhole, and thanks to newcomers is coming out of that.

That's just an inaccurate statement. I would hate for anyone coming here for info to see that and get the wrong impression about Waxhaw's past. Again, it is and has always been, a wonderful place to live. Though I do remember the other thread and understand your intention was to counteract it, I'm afraid all you've done is write something misleading.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:22 PM

Well, I was in a quirky little mood today. When I was looking for homes here I typed 'Waxhaw' into the search and the title of "Waxhaw is quickly turning into a Hellhole" came up and made me shudder. It keeps coming back every now and then when other people are searching Waxhaw, so now, when people search Waxhaw, this one will come up too and it says something positive so I think I may have achieved something positive for Waxhaw after all. My comments are very genuine and I am still considering myself a newcomer. I love it here.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,051,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, my problem is with the title of your thread. You wrote,
"Waxhaw is quickly turning from a hellhole into a great opportunity for newcomers to the area" - which implies that Waxhaw has been a hellhole, and thanks to newcomers is coming out of that.
+1

Like Loves, I also do not have a dog in this fight as I do not live in Waxhaw, but have visited friends in and around the area for decades.
It was always thrilling to have a sleepover at a friends house from school or church who lived on an actual farm - there were many back then.
As I got older, most of the girls I dated lived in Waxhaw or Weddington, so I know the area pretty well ;^)

In other words, Waxhaw was not a 'hellhole' 15-20-25-30+ years ago.
It was a great place to live and raise a family.

Last edited by mullman; 03-17-2009 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or