U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:19 AM

92 posts, read 244,642 times

Advertisements

Sorry, "TheStem", I just realised your comments may have been in support of my thread. Also maybe you live here too. But, I still think I need to start medication soon, even more so now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:34 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestem View Post
why do people care about what a thread's title is called...if you have a problem with it...you're the problem, not the title....get a life....geez
I have a very busy life actually

In all my time posting here I always strive to give the most accurate, factual info I can personally give to anyone searching. Most people seem to really appreciate that.

Misleading info, including misleading thread titles, aren't helpful to anyone. I understand the op was frustrated with another thread so she started this one, I just wanted to make sure thru MY postings on it that people will see that Waxhaw has never been a hellhole and has always been a great place to live, it's not just NOW becoming a great place like the title of this thread implies.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:49 PM

168 posts, read 431,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Well...if Waxhaw is a "hellhole", then just call me Lucifer.

I live on Long Island came down for a weekend and bought a house. Some people might call me crazy but sometimes you just have to go with your "gut" instincts.

The area seems very familiar to me like I have lived here all my life and I guess that is why so many LI people have moved down there. Besides the obvious of being able to afford a fabulous house. You have to see what $300,000 buys you on LI. And paying $10 - $12,000 a year in taxes!!

I totally agree with you! I lived In NY- L.I. to be exact! It reminds my husband and I of how L.I. Looked when we were growing up.
Its crazy! I do appreciate everything about NC.
I know some of the locals do not appreciate us. I am truly sorry for that.
It does make me sad.
Yes, it does bother me to see all the trees being cut down.
I love this weather!!!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:13 PM

540 posts, read 1,523,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2va2nc View Post
"why do people care about what a thread's title is called...if you have a problem with it...you're the problem, not the title....get a life....geez"

Sounds like you're losing patience with my issue (maybe you need to get a life too).
Would you have a problem with someone calling your area a hellhole?
And you're right I am going to get a life and stop reading these petty boards - once I can get the medication started
yes...I was sticking up for you....hope the medication gets there quickly...
--
And...as far as Waxhaw goes, with the current mayor/town commisioners, they may, in fact be ruining Waxhaw..but that's another issue for another day...(ie: power plant and lines going behind the new lowes- a decision they made themselves with no hearings)

Old 03-21-2009, 07:43 AM

343 posts, read 575,814 times
Well I wouldn't call this Waxhaw becoming better. It seems, (don't live in that area but) when I drive through there all I see being built is housing developments with the "pack'em in there as tight as you can" housing going on. I personally do not think these are attractive developments. Actually, I think they are extremely ugly developments. I thought Wahaw was a much more attractive area before the money-hungry, developers came in with more land around the houses. I guess those days are gone, huh?

Last edited by chrharris; 03-21-2009 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: miss spelled some words

Old 03-21-2009, 08:11 AM

There are lots of benefits to living in a new development if you are new to the area (everyone else is relatively new and you are welcomed as people are looking to make new friends). Again good schools, a safe area are interesting choices for newcomers. All that said I'd love to see people buying the resales and the existing inventory. The key will be to stop any further development and concentrate on finishing what's started and preserve the remaining beautiful areas of untouched Waxhaw.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:36 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,147,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2va2nc View Post
The key will be to stop any further development and concentrate on finishing what's started and preserve the remaining beautiful areas of untouched Waxhaw.
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on how that would be accomplished since there's never been any effort to curtail any development of all the open space in the western sector of the county.

The best things to happen in that respect of keeping Waxhaw green, is the downturn in the ecomony and the inability of the local government to provide for the growth from an infrastructure standpoint. Once (if) both these situations get resolved and I am sure at some point that they will, all open greenspace in the western sector of UC will again be ripe for mass development. (4 track houses crammed per acre, 300-400 houses per development)

The Waxhaw local government is, and historically has been, developer friendly. The current county commission is not currently dev friendly, but I suspect most of them will be out of office by the time things turn around, if their recent interactions with county mgt are any indication.

As soon as it is fiscally possible, and it makes dollars and sense, building will resume in Union County. A lot of current things have to change, but it will happen. Greenspace has a reprieve for now, but like I was told by someone who has lived here a lot longer than I have (which is 50+ years). "Don't fall in love with a view you don't own."

Old 03-22-2009, 04:46 PM

575 posts, read 1,351,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
Well I wouldn't call this Waxhaw becoming better. It seems, (don't live in that area but) when I drive through there all I see being built is housing developments with the "pack'em in there as tight as you can" housing going on. I personally do not think these are attractive developments. Actually, I think they are extremely ugly developments. I thought Wahaw was a much more attractive area before the money-hungry, developers came in with more land around the houses. I guess those days are gone, huh?
Yea I long for the good ol' days of passing unkempt trailers, you know the ones that resemble a 24/7 yard(garbage) sale with their rusted 70's pick ups on front lawn.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:36 PM

Haha, yeah they were so much better than the mcmansions of today. Think I might pick one up at a yard sale and put it in my front yard to make it look authentic

Old 04-16-2009, 09:22 PM

40 posts, read 83,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestem View Post
And...as far as Waxhaw goes, with the current mayor/town commisioners, they may, in fact be ruining Waxhaw..but that's another issue for another day...(ie: power plant and lines going behind the new lowes- a decision they made themselves with no hearings)
There was, in fact, a hearing regarding the siting of the substation behind the Lowe's in the fall of last year which was, unfortunately, very poorly attended. If I am recalling correctly, I believe that the B&H Holdings project was getting underway at that time and, while there were people in attendance with concerns about that project, the substation hearing received very little attention from the public. The town website is in a state of transition so neither the Agendas or the Minutes from that meeting are currently online but it was sometime in the second half of 2008. I did my best to push the applicant to talk about the siting of the transmission lines but they preferred not to talk about that aspect of the project at that time and the Board of Commissioners did not press them.

Union Power is now in the Transmission Line Siting phase which the town has no control and little influence over. You can read more about the process here: Union Power Cooperative: Transmission Line Siting Project (http://www.union-power.com/page.php?p=98 - broken link).

As for the location of the substation, Waxhaw was fortunate to have a location that could at least be substantially screened from view in all directions (until Mr. Pfister wants to develop his property) unlike the fiasco that occurred in Wesley Chapel where they ended up with the substation right up on the road (in the county, of course) where there is very little that can be done to screen it. Is it ideal? Perhaps not, but as Waxhaw continues to grow and urbanize, it will be necessary to have this type of infrastructure in place to serve the new homes and businesses and it's better to get that in place sooner rather than later.

And, speaking of growth, the previous Mayor and Board of Commissioners had approved a residential/commercial buildout prior to leaving office that will take Waxhaw from the roughly 8,000 people that we are today to somewhere north of 25,000 with around 3M square feet of office and retail - a classic example of suburban sprawl and the antithesis of a small town. The challenge for all of us in Waxhaw today - both old-timers and newcomers - is to bring our community back into balance through thoughtful planning and aggressive implementation of strategies that will move us back towards that small town character while accomodating the growth that is still surely headed our way.

So, all you who live in Waxhaw, pay close attention to the local elections this year. There are three of the five seats on the Town Commission that will be on the ballot. If you are displeased with the direction and decisions that have been made in the past and/or are being made presently, look for candidates to support who have the capacity to understand the enormity of the challenges we are facing and the motivation and capability to do something about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or