U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:58 AM

50 posts, read 137,142 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Tampa,FL but am really considering a move to Charlotte...I enjoy sports (very important!), I am not a big club guy I prefer more bars or pubs to go socialize and relax..I love doing outdoor things such as the Whitewater Center in Charlotte..I enjoy cooler weather..I can't take the FL heat 7 months of the year..Big shopping centers and lots going on is always a plus..I have visited Charlotte a few times and like it...I would like to live near the downtown area like I do in Tampa..I am a cop...It seems like Charlotte has a lot going on and is growing..Could Charlotte be for me? Any opinions are greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 06:40 PM

257 posts, read 585,608 times
I would think they are pretty similar except you are close to the beach and Charlotte is closer to the mountains. Both have pro sports in states where college sports are more important. I don't think you will find an area comparable to Ybor City. However, I do think you would like Charlotte b/c the cities are pretty similar in size but Charlotte has cooler weather (four seasons). If you want to check out some neighborhoods near Uptown look at Dilworth, SouthEnd, Plaza-Midwood, Chantilly and Elizabeth. You should be satisfied with one of those neighborhoods.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 PM

28 posts, read 127,153 times
My husband and I lived in Clearwater area while going to school. We have been in Charlotte for about 5 years. He is a cop as well. The main reason we moved from FL was the weather. We loved the beach but missed the seasons. You get the seasons here, a taste of winter, but mild overall.
There are many things to do as far as sports are concerned- mountain biking, hiking, running, kayaking, skiing, etc. The beaches are 4 hours away and don't compare to the Gulf beaches in my opinion.
Shopping is pretty comparable as it is down there. No Publix subs though. :-( Traffic is pretty comparable- maybe a little better here- kind of depends where you live and where you work.
Let me know if you have any questions... you can pm me. ... Good luck...

Old 03-17-2009, 10:04 PM

3,953 posts, read 2,496,974 times
Smile Lived In Both Places!

I have just now been in Charlotte for a year, but I lived in Tampa for nearly seven years. Personally, I liked Tampa better, but I love warm weather and beaches (I think seasons are overrated, but that is another topic for another day). As someone else mentioned, Tampa has the huge advantage of water close by (if you like beaches).

Sports is pretty close: Both places have NFL teams (Panthers, Bucs), and they are even in the same division (NFC South), so they play each other a lot (if you are a fan of the Bucs, you'll hear more about them than say a lot of the other teams in the NFL, because of the division thing). However, while Charlotte has an NBA team (Bobcats) and no hockey team, Tampa is the opposite (Lightning--NHL). College may be the big difference: UNCC doesnt match up to USF, especially since USF is now beginning to get a little play on the national stage.

I think the traffic in Charlotte is better...I still have memories of those I-4 jams.

Overall, I did like Tampa better, but Im not disappointed with Charlotte...I do like it here.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:26 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,723,150 times
Wife and I moved from the Orlando area in June of 2007 and haven't looked back! I'll take mountains over the beach any day..along with the seasons. Sure, you don't get anything really tangible out of them, but they give you something to look forward to. Your landscape changes...the whole world dies and renews around you. You don't get that in Florida...not unless a hurricane blows through!

As far as outdoors, unless you're into fishing, Florida isn't even on the same playing field as NC!

I never lived in Tamps, but I did frequent the area...and the traffic I remember was horrendous compared to Charlotte. Charlotte can have it's snags, but nothing like what I remember Tampa for being famous for.

The big kicker for us moving up here: house prices. People can bounce off of all different sides to the story of the housing market right now, but there's absolutely no arguing about what your dollar will buy you here compared to Florida. Home owner's insurance is lower, property taxes are close to if not a little tiny bit lower than Florida, and cost of living is just about on par with everything in Florida (I thinks it's a bit cheaper, but this depends on your specific living). Sure, we have state tax here, but you still end up better than you were in Florida in my opinion.

If you were looking at being a cop for CMPD, you should know that your FL certification will not get you right in here. You'll have to do CMPD's police academy. I think they started an abridged version for those coming from a different force, but you still have to do it. My brother is a cop too still living in Orlando and considered it a while back...but they were unwilling to budge on this...even with his federal certification at the time. He was not willing to go back through more schooling after spending 2+ years training for the Secret Service...and he's now feelign the regret of that decision having to live in an apartment, not able to buy a house and settle, or run over to the mountains and play for a weekend.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,806,844 times
I lived in Tarpon Springs for almost 2 years and having the beaches nearby was nice. I also grew up in Miami but I do prefer Charlotte as we were able to afford to buy a house with the lower taxes and insurance and definitely got more for our money.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:19 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,706,836 times
I moved to Cornelius almost a year ago. What I don't miss in Florida are hurricanes, property taxes, flood insurance, and relentless heat most of the year that lasts for 24 hours a day.

I do miss fishing in the beautiful gulf. Fishing off the coast of N.C. is excellent as well, but Charlotte is a three to four hour drive. That is pretty much all.

Tampa is a city that in not comparable to any other city in the U.S. There are giant theme parks, closeness to Clearwater, St. Pete., etc. You have Ybhor City and other ammenities. Tampa is a probably the best place in the world for entertaining children. Not quite as good for grown ups. The summers in Charlotte are very hot like Florida, but the difference is that it is comfortable in the mornings and evenings. It is possible to go for morning or evening walks or enjoy outings without the ungodly heat. Also, I enjoy not having to pay insurance rates, taxes, etc. My unbiased choice would be Charlotte. But, everyone has their likes and dislikes, so be sure you consider everything. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 AM

140 posts, read 240,538 times
Hi. I lived in Tampa for 8 years, was in Richmond for 2 years and just moved to Charlotte the first week of March. I did love the beaches near Tampa and had a lot of friends there. I do miss going to the Lightning games because I love hockey!! However, the heat does start to get to you after a while. I haven't been here long, but I think I'm really going to enjoy Charlotte. There's a lot to do here. I think you will enjoy it also.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:41 AM

3,953 posts, read 2,496,974 times
Default Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexih View Post
Hi. I lived in Tampa for 8 years, was in Richmond for 2 years and just moved to Charlotte the first week of March.
Hey, Lexih, if I didnt know better, I would think you have been following me!

I had a stop in Norfolk, mixed in, but pretty close!

One more sports note...

Forgot to mention that Tampa has an advantage with the Rays...Charlotte obviously doesnt have a Major League team, but does have an AAA franchise (Knights).

Old 03-20-2009, 11:47 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,664,714 times
You can only come if you bring some Greek food from Helas!!!

Tampa is so different than Charlotte geographically. City wise, kind of close, but hard to compare especially if you are a beach/boat person. Night life I think is a lot better. People may agrue but drivers seem to be better. Also, a lot less heat/humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or