Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 AM

7 posts, read 15,417 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating from NJ to the Waxhaw area. My children are 10 and 8 years old. I am worried about them adjusting. Can anyone please give me some input on there experiences. Is there alot for kids to do in Waxhaw? Also any advice on the school systems would be great.

Thanks,
Suzzanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 09:08 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzzanne View Post
My family will be relocating from NJ to the Waxhaw area. My children are 10 and 8 years old. I am worried about them adjusting. Can anyone please give me some input on there experiences. Is there alot for kids to do in Waxhaw? Also any advice on the school systems would be great.

Thanks,
Suzzanne
Suzzanne, no offense, how is it you have decided to move there when you know so little about the place? Just wondering how that happens...

The area is full of transplants who all seem to love it. It is rural town though, so don't look for loads of entertainment venues there. You'll have to drive into Charlotte for that kind of stuff.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:16 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Hi Suzzanne;

I hope that you guys have a job...

Waxhaw is pretty remote. There is no public transportation and not really much for anyone to do there. You will have to travel to Charlotte or Monroe to find stuff to do as loves stated. On the other hand, there might be a bunch of kids in the neighbourhood itself for all I know. Be careful if it is a new neighbourhood, however, because they have homeowner's associations here that can be kind of brutal to work with. It is not like a regular neighbourhood up north. Just be aware and do your research.

There are a lot of folks from Jersey here in Charlotte. You should be able to fit in pretty well. There are adjustments, however. You should read a lot of other threads on this site concerning them.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:25 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,592,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzzanne View Post

Thanks,
Suzzanne
I am from Long Island and closed a couple of days before Halloween. On Halloween I got to meet all the kids in the neighborhood and I have to say they were great!! They all said welcome to the neighborhood and it was a very positive experience. As far as your kids adjusting, they will..like anything kids adjust pretty well sometimes better than adults. As far as schools go, I will leave that to others to advise you but they are rated pretty good. Welcome and good luck!!!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:37 AM

7 posts, read 15,417 times
Actually lovesmountains I do know somewhat about the area. I have done alot of research but I wanted to hear personal experiences from others. We will be relocating because of my husbands job. So therefore really have no choice.

Thank you to all that responded.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:54 AM

28 posts, read 88,968 times
Default Welcome

Suzanne, Waxhaw is a neat little town with a quaint downtown and it has definitely become a popular bedroom community for Charlotte. There are many new subdivisions in the area with lovely homes--you will certainly not be alone being a new transplant. We moved to the Charlotte area years ago when our children were 11 and 9 and they adjusted just fine--kids the ages of yours are pretty adaptable. Also, I think kids definitely take their cue from their parents--if you are positive and make a good adjustment, they will, too. Waxhaw certainly has all the basic amenities and more are coming each year. Yes, you will probably be traveling up Hwy. 16 (Providence Rd.) or Hwy. 521 to Charlotte for major shopping and entertainment, but really it isn't that big a deal--15 to 20 minutes unless you're doing it in rush hour traffic. There is so much retail development out Rea Rd., Providence Road, Ballantyne and Indian Land that I don't think you will find it that much of a burden. If your husband is commuting into Charlotte for his job each day, he will find that Providence Road is very congested since it is only two lanes until you are almost to I-485, so that may be an issue. Hope you will be happy in Waxhaw and enjoy the area.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:13 PM

92 posts, read 274,109 times
I moved here last summer with an 8, 12 and 13 yr old. They have all settled amazingly well and I was pretty much quivering in my boots last year. They all play soccer at WCWAA and they have made friends their own age who are also fairly new to the area as there are many new people around in the past 3 years. So your kids will be fine. Schools are highly organised and very caring with good test scores.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:14 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times
Unless you are from an urban area in NJ you will like Waxhaw. I think it is very nice and very convenient. I am from Hunterdon County NJ. Waxhaw would probably have been my first choice to move to but since my DH works in Gastonia we ended up in Lincoln County which is also nice.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:01 PM

123 posts, read 303,490 times
Why do you think that kids will find it difficult to adjust? It is they who actually adjust very easily than adults in my experience!!!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:18 PM

29 posts, read 86,937 times
I don't live in Waxhaw but I moved here in November with an 8 and 10 year old, just like you. I worried about it too and they were fine. They literally made friends the day we moved in (with kids from NJ, btw!). We focused our house search on a neighborhood full of kids for this reason. You have probably found a family-friendly nabe as well, so try not to worry! That is a great age for kids-they just glide right in. Starting the new school was relatively easy, too! I think you'll be surprised. Good luck & welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte