U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:20 AM

77 posts, read 423,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I expect my gas prices to drop dramatically as CT is much colder than Charlotte, but do expect to pay more on a/c in the summer months

Well that may not be the case. My daughter lives in a NC house I own. The gas bills were bad $300 to $400 during the coldest months. The homes are not insulated like northern homes. I believe because that would make them sweat in summer and you don't want mold growth. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My son is a HVAC mechanic. I had him install a heat pump. Using the heat pump was much less expensive than gas heat. However I stayed at my daughters one week when they had night time temps of 17 and the heat pump had trouble keeping up.
The sq foot of the house is just under 1400.The living room has 12 ft cathedral ceilings.

With this in mind when I go house hunting for myself I don't want something too big I can't heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 02:52 PM

543 posts, read 1,633,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwo418 View Post
MarkH are those monthly dollar amounts or is that an average for the 3 months? The 900 dollars for food was for the 3 months total..Just curious as I have heard people say their gas bills where 170 per month..Just curious.

Talia
Per month for each amount. We're definitely spending about a $150 to $200 a month more here for groceries. Does not include dining out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysparkle View Post
Well that may not be the case. My daughter lives in a NC house I own. The gas bills were bad $300 to $400 during the coldest months. The homes are not insulated like northern homes.
Our heating bill was with keeping the temp at about 70 during the day and 65-67 at night. I think the new houses are insulated quite well.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:01 PM

151 posts, read 645,443 times
NJMOMOF2
I live in the begining of EastNY. I've lived in BK almost my whole life. I used to live in Canarsie and Crown Heights before moving to E.NY.
We will be coming to NC to visit in May as soon as we come back from our cruise and I cant wait! my 6yrld asked me the other day if we could get a back yard for him to pplay, and I cannot wait to have one so he can be a kid instead of a prisoner in a small apartment! Good luck on your move!

Old 03-26-2007, 03:19 PM

8,626 posts, read 13,854,343 times
I lived in The Mountains of NC for 18 years. Moving from Florida. before that Chicago.
I found the least expensive thing about NC was the taxes. .With all the Hydro, in NC , one would think electric would be less than other places, but , no, it is higher ! I lived in a resort area, so , wages were comparable with northern cities.Housing, or building cost per sq.ft., as high as 300.00. ouch ! Thats one reason I cashed in on the house I built 18 years ago , and moved back north, where housing cost ,, are a lot less.( rural area of SW Michigan)

Old 03-26-2007, 03:28 PM

189 posts, read 525,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nysparkle View Post
Well that may not be the case. My daughter lives in a NC house I own. The gas bills were bad $300 to $400 during the coldest months. The homes are not insulated like northern homes. I believe because that would make them sweat in summer and you don't want mold growth. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My son is a HVAC mechanic. I had him install a heat pump. Using the heat pump was much less expensive than gas heat. However I stayed at my daughters one week when they had night time temps of 17 and the heat pump had trouble keeping up.
The sq foot of the house is just under 1400.The living room has 12 ft cathedral ceilings.

With this in mind when I go house hunting for myself I don't want something too big I can't heat.
My gas bills were closer to $500 per month (Nov-Feb) in CT. Heat pumps generally only work when the temperature is about freezing otherwise you need the electric to kick in to generate heat. Cheaper builders used heat pumps in CT (most condos before 1995 as well).

Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 PM

536 posts, read 1,540,195 times
Default Gas for Cars

Don't forget the weekly fill-up at the pump is cheaper. You can pop over to S.C. and save some cents. My last fill up was $2.31 per gallon. A few weeks ago it was as low as $1.88. What is it in N.Y. now, $2.70?

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gassta...?zip=&src=Netx

Old 03-26-2007, 04:52 PM

7,929 posts, read 17,758,855 times
wow its 2.45 here....and well my heating bills here where I live now are 600 dollars a month, so either way big savings for us....that is the winter...LOL...and then it goes down to almost nothing in the summer then my electric bills in the summer months are 350.00 so either way once again saving money..LOL..well at least I hope so....I think it depends on what you are used to as far as expenses go....Our big savings will be on a Mortgage, Taxes and Insurance (car)....

Old 03-26-2007, 05:04 PM

149 posts, read 476,074 times
I would hate to think of anyone moving here based on the idea that the cost of living is so much lower. We moved from Pa to Union County last July. Other than taxes, I havent noticed any really significant differences. Our utilities are less, but we went from a 6000 to a 4000 sf house. One major difference is that you can find very nice houses in just about any price range or size. In our area of PA, if you spent less than 350,000, you would not own a nice house. Here, I've seen adorable, well built homes in nice communities for less than 200,000.

Really do your research before you take the leap! We love it here for many reasons, but a lower cost of living is not one of them.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:49 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,273,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMARIA View Post
I would hate to think of anyone moving here based on the idea that the cost of living is so much lower. We moved from Pa to Union County last July. Other than taxes, I havent noticed any really significant differences. Our utilities are less, but we went from a 6000 to a 4000 sf house. One major difference is that you can find very nice houses in just about any price range or size. In our area of PA, if you spent less than 350,000, you would not own a nice house. Here, I've seen adorable, well built homes in nice communities for less than 200,000.

Really do your research before you take the leap! We love it here for many reasons, but a lower cost of living is not one of them.
You'll do well here if you cash out on a home and buy one outright. Other than that North Carolina nickel and dime's you on other taxes to take back some of what you've saved (then just take one look at how much they take out of your paycheck and you'll be seeing stars). With the lower wages matching the cost of living, there's not the enormous savings that a lot of people seem to think there are, probably one of the reasons as to why there's been so many foreclosures down here.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:53 PM

287 posts, read 1,363,112 times
Our taxes in NY on a 1971 1730 sq. ft. split level are 4,650 we can go buy a home 10 years old or newer and pay only 1,500 in taxes, how is it NOT cheaper, I dont get it. My wife is an RN and will make 5.00 less per hr. big deal plus we will get a much newer home. Out payment now is 2100, when we move it will be 1400 so yes, for us its a good move actually we are going to SC, so taxes in NC may vary a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or